PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2011, 08:37 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Carrier: At&t

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mindfrost82
Not sure about anyone else...

but I want this phone!!!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:42 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Not sure about anyone else...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfrost82 View Post
but I want this phone!!!
I hear you. It looks promising for sure. Gonna read up a little this morning. Followed the Motorolla Razr event last night as well. lol.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:14 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

testacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfrost82 View Post
but I want this phone!!!
I hear you...

After six months of dealing with all the problems with my Epic I'm officially done with HTC/Samsung/Motorola add-ons. No more Touchwiz/Sense/Blur for me. Updates within a week of release or I'm ditching the phone altogether the next chance I get.

If I get burned with another Android phone, I'm trying the iPhone next. I need something that just works, open source is great, but if I can't use the phone because of hardware problems or carrier support (aka Sprint) then what's the point--Verizon here I come!
Old 10-20-2011, 03:02 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)

Personally I am not too impressed.... I mean if you compare the Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE & HD it falls short :/..maybe I was just expecting too much...

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 10-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

If this phone miraculously gets released on Sprint, it will be down between this and the iphone for me. I'm far more excited about the nexus though.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:30 PM
Regular 'Geeker

testacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Personally I am not too impressed.... I mean if you compare the Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE & HD it falls short :/..maybe I was just expecting too much...
I wouldn't say impressed per say, but it's a better phone then the Nexus S. I got the Epic over the Nexus S because of the hardware keyboard but the lack of software updates just left a bad taste in my mouth. I also couldn't justify the Nexus S on Sprint because it's the same freakin' phone that was out months earlier on TMobile, and there was no price change. Usually when a phone is closer to EOL the price lowers, Sprint charged to much for a phone that was months behind in technology.

The next pure Google phone isn't coming anytime soon I would think, hopefully at least 8 months down the line, possibly a year away so I can't see the downside, as long as the components WORK properly. Synthetic benchmarks are not everything...

Sure it only has a 5 Megapixel camera, but they say it's the width of the lens and not how long the Megapixels are!

The graphics chip is similar to the Nexus S but has a higher frequency, I'm sure someone will run the most demanding programs currently out on it during the reviews due to come.

What concerns me is the extra screen resolution, 720p might very well push the graphics chip and tear and make games craw to a few fps. And again will just wait for the reviews, someone is bound to throw an emulator or 2 at this in a review.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:48 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Ok, NOW I'm worried...

The Galaxy Nexus' Super AMOLED display is a minus, not a Plus -- Engadget

I'm starting to see a pattern with Android phones. You either have excellent hardware with horrible software support or adequate hardware with timely updates.

Samsung is either a hardware hording whore, or Google is just being very cheap and overpriced. $299.99 with this many shortcuts in the hardware doesn't seem very price competitive in my book...
Old 10-21-2011, 06:55 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by testacon View Post
I wouldn't say impressed per say, but it's a better phone then the Nexus S. I got the Epic over the Nexus S because of the hardware keyboard but the lack of software updates just left a bad taste in my mouth. I also couldn't justify the Nexus S on Sprint because it's the same freakin' phone that was out months earlier on TMobile, and there was no price change. Usually when a phone is closer to EOL the price lowers, Sprint charged to much for a phone that was months behind in technology.
Well yeah its better then the Nexus S, but I was expecting it to be above all other phones. It has some interesting features but not enough to distinguish itself from the rest. Again, I was just expecting too much I guess...

As for updates, we just need to dump the carriers and get updates from manufacturers :/..If it gets to the point where sprint is 100% LTE and has sim cards I'd just buy full price an international version.

Quote:
The next pure Google phone isn't coming anytime soon I would think, hopefully at least 8 months down the line, possibly a year away so I can't see the downside, as long as the components WORK properly. Synthetic benchmarks are not everything...
A year like always.

Quote:
Sure it only has a 5 Megapixel camera, but they say it's the width of the lens and not how long the Megapixels are!
What makes this camera stand out is not the quality but 0 shutter photos. That is a hard to come by feature even on dedicated cameras, for a cellphone that is pretty good and uniqueu.

Quote:
The graphics chip is similar to the Nexus S but has a higher frequency, I'm sure someone will run the most demanding programs currently out on it during the reviews due to come.

What concerns me is the extra screen resolution, 720p might very well push the graphics chip and tear and make games craw to a few fps. And again will just wait for the reviews, someone is bound to throw an emulator or 2 at this in a review.
Not to mention GPU is relies on hardware acceleration. I mean they could have at least put in a newer TI OMAP. It just makes it feel empty, the Galaxy S2 HD LTE has similar specs but the LTE chip is integrated into the new Exynoss aka no need for 2 separate radios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by testacon View Post
Ok, NOW I'm worried...

The Galaxy Nexus' Super AMOLED display is a minus, not a Plus -- Engadget

I'm starting to see a pattern with Android phones. You either have excellent hardware with horrible software support or adequate hardware with timely updates.

Samsung is either a hardware hording whore, or Google is just being very cheap and overpriced. $299.99 with this many shortcuts in the hardware doesn't seem very price competitive in my book...
I think its a technological limitation. Trying to cram that high resolution is beyond AMOLED tech atm. By the time the Galaxy S3 comes out, the situation might change.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:38 PM
Tree Trunk Killa
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: VZW

burtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to burtonsnow8

Samsung Galaxy Note and Galaxy Nexus sport HD Super AMOLED - is the PenTile matrix bad for you?
Old 12-26-2011, 07:38 PM
Super Senior VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 6p
Carrier: Att StraightTalk

psycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via MSN to psycho_maniac Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_maniac

I don't really care about the specs... all i see is "nexus" and verizon... which is what i wanted since i was introduced to android

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Nexus