PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Samsung Galaxy Nexus (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=403)
-   -   Not sure about anyone else... (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=147594)

mindfrost82 10-19-2011 08:37 AM

Not sure about anyone else...
 
but I want this phone!!! :D

Riley 10-19-2011 09:42 AM

Re: Not sure about anyone else...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mindfrost82 (Post 2151058)
but I want this phone!!! :D

I hear you. It looks promising for sure. Gonna read up a little this morning. Followed the Motorolla Razr event last night as well. lol.

testacon 10-19-2011 03:14 PM

Re: Not sure about anyone else...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mindfrost82 (Post 2151058)
but I want this phone!!! :D

I hear you...

After six months of dealing with all the problems with my Epic I'm officially done with HTC/Samsung/Motorola add-ons. No more Touchwiz/Sense/Blur for me. Updates within a week of release or I'm ditching the phone altogether the next chance I get.

If I get burned with another Android phone, I'm trying the iPhone next. I need something that just works, open source is great, but if I can't use the phone because of hardware problems or carrier support (aka Sprint) then what's the point--Verizon here I come!

gTen 10-20-2011 03:02 PM

Re: Not sure about anyone else...
 
Personally I am not too impressed.... I mean if you compare the Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE & HD it falls short :/..maybe I was just expecting too much...

Darkjedi 10-20-2011 03:42 PM

Re: Not sure about anyone else...
 
If this phone miraculously gets released on Sprint, it will be down between this and the iphone for me. I'm far more excited about the nexus though.

testacon 10-20-2011 05:30 PM

Re: Not sure about anyone else...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 2151273)
Personally I am not too impressed.... I mean if you compare the Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE & HD it falls short :/..maybe I was just expecting too much...

I wouldn't say impressed per say, but it's a better phone then the Nexus S. I got the Epic over the Nexus S because of the hardware keyboard but the lack of software updates just left a bad taste in my mouth. I also couldn't justify the Nexus S on Sprint because it's the same freakin' phone that was out months earlier on TMobile, and there was no price change. Usually when a phone is closer to EOL the price lowers, Sprint charged to much for a phone that was months behind in technology.

The next pure Google phone isn't coming anytime soon I would think, hopefully at least 8 months down the line, possibly a year away so I can't see the downside, as long as the components WORK properly. Synthetic benchmarks are not everything...

Sure it only has a 5 Megapixel camera, but they say it's the width of the lens and not how long the Megapixels are!

The graphics chip is similar to the Nexus S but has a higher frequency, I'm sure someone will run the most demanding programs currently out on it during the reviews due to come.

What concerns me is the extra screen resolution, 720p might very well push the graphics chip and tear and make games craw to a few fps. And again will just wait for the reviews, someone is bound to throw an emulator or 2 at this in a review.

testacon 10-21-2011 10:48 AM

Re: Not sure about anyone else...
 
Ok, NOW I'm worried...

The Galaxy Nexus' Super AMOLED display is a minus, not a Plus -- Engadget

I'm starting to see a pattern with Android phones. You either have excellent hardware with horrible software support or adequate hardware with timely updates.

Samsung is either a hardware hording whore, or Google is just being very cheap and overpriced. $299.99 with this many shortcuts in the hardware doesn't seem very price competitive in my book...

gTen 10-21-2011 06:55 PM

Re: Not sure about anyone else...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by testacon (Post 2151327)
I wouldn't say impressed per say, but it's a better phone then the Nexus S. I got the Epic over the Nexus S because of the hardware keyboard but the lack of software updates just left a bad taste in my mouth. I also couldn't justify the Nexus S on Sprint because it's the same freakin' phone that was out months earlier on TMobile, and there was no price change. Usually when a phone is closer to EOL the price lowers, Sprint charged to much for a phone that was months behind in technology.

Well yeah its better then the Nexus S, but I was expecting it to be above all other phones. It has some interesting features but not enough to distinguish itself from the rest. Again, I was just expecting too much I guess...

As for updates, we just need to dump the carriers and get updates from manufacturers :/..If it gets to the point where sprint is 100% LTE and has sim cards I'd just buy full price an international version.

Quote:

The next pure Google phone isn't coming anytime soon I would think, hopefully at least 8 months down the line, possibly a year away so I can't see the downside, as long as the components WORK properly. Synthetic benchmarks are not everything...
A year like always.

Quote:

Sure it only has a 5 Megapixel camera, but they say it's the width of the lens and not how long the Megapixels are!
What makes this camera stand out is not the quality but 0 shutter photos. That is a hard to come by feature even on dedicated cameras, for a cellphone that is pretty good and uniqueu.

Quote:

The graphics chip is similar to the Nexus S but has a higher frequency, I'm sure someone will run the most demanding programs currently out on it during the reviews due to come.

What concerns me is the extra screen resolution, 720p might very well push the graphics chip and tear and make games craw to a few fps. And again will just wait for the reviews, someone is bound to throw an emulator or 2 at this in a review.
Not to mention GPU is relies on hardware acceleration. I mean they could have at least put in a newer TI OMAP. It just makes it feel empty, the Galaxy S2 HD LTE has similar specs but the LTE chip is integrated into the new Exynoss aka no need for 2 separate radios.

Quote:

Originally Posted by testacon (Post 2151458)
Ok, NOW I'm worried...

The Galaxy Nexus' Super AMOLED display is a minus, not a Plus -- Engadget

I'm starting to see a pattern with Android phones. You either have excellent hardware with horrible software support or adequate hardware with timely updates.

Samsung is either a hardware hording whore, or Google is just being very cheap and overpriced. $299.99 with this many shortcuts in the hardware doesn't seem very price competitive in my book...

I think its a technological limitation. Trying to cram that high resolution is beyond AMOLED tech atm. By the time the Galaxy S3 comes out, the situation might change.

burtonsnow8 11-14-2011 08:38 PM

Re: Not sure about anyone else...
 
Samsung Galaxy Note and Galaxy Nexus sport HD Super AMOLED - is the PenTile matrix bad for you?

psycho_maniac 12-26-2011 07:38 PM

Re: Not sure about anyone else...
 
I don't really care about the specs... all i see is "nexus" and verizon... which is what i wanted since i was introduced to android


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©2012 - PPCGeeks.com


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0