PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2009, 12:57 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile
Threadstarter

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Hero or Moment?

I know that the Moment currently has 1.5 and will probably ship with it. 1.6 being available for it in 2010. You can already play with 1.6 on other phones.

So I know the OS doesn't currently support multi-touch, and that 1.6 will. Now I just need to make sure if the Moment is multi-touch capable.

The LED backlit screen, instead of florescent saves lots of battery life.

Most of my pictures on the touted "not so good HTC 3.2 camera" (TP) are very good IMHO. So the 5mp should be better (even tho we know that it's not all about MP). I'm hoping the Moment's cam is at least as good, knowing Samsung it should be slightly better..

Active Matrix OLED with 16 million colors over color transflective TFT with 65k colors. The loudspeaker on Moment is Stereo over Hero's Mono.. Hero's USB 2.0 client, 480Mbit/s, Moment's USB 2.0 client, 12Mbit/s.. interesting Moment has FM radio (87.5-108MHz) with RDS radio reciever with Proprietary headset as antenna, Hero specs none.

Anyways as far as what's shipped UI and OS goes it really doesn't matter since we usually customize hack them..

-CC

Last edited by clockcycle; 10-13-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

shortbus182 is keeping up the good workshortbus182 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockcycle View Post
I know that the Moment currently has 1.5 and will probably ship with it. 1.6 being available for it in 2010. You can already play with 1.6 on other phones.

So I know the OS doesn't currently support multi-touch, and that 1.6 will. Now I just need to make sure if the Moment is multi-touch capable.

The LED backlit screen, instead of florescent saves lots of battery life.

Most of my pictures on the touted "not so good HTC 3.2 camera" (TP) are very good IMHO. So the 5mp should be better (even tho we know that it's not all about MP). I'm hoping the Moment's cam is at least as good, knowing Samsung it should be slightly better..

Active Matrix OLED with 16 million colors over color transflective TFT with 65k colors. The loudspeaker on Moment is Stereo over Hero's Mono.. Hero's USB 2.0 client, 480Mbit/s, Moment's USB 2.0 client, 12Mbit/s.. interesting Moment has FM radio (87.5-108MHz) with RDS radio reciever with Proprietary headset as antenna, Hero specs none.

Anyways as far as what's shipped UI and OS goes it really doesn't matter since we usually customize hack them..

-CC
Sounds like you have some pretty soild info on the specs. I have searched for the moments specs, but can only find generic info. The stereo speakers and fm radio are news to me. Do you have the link to these specs?

Edit: I did some more poking around and answered some of my own questions, and then some http://developer.sprint.com/site/global/develop/technologies/android/devices/androiddevices.jsp
The only thing I did'nt see was the stereo speakers, but I'm sure they are there.

Last edited by shortbus182; 10-16-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:47 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

JohnAD is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockcycle View Post
Which one you going for and why?
I wondered the same thing myself. When it boils down to it I trust HTC way more than Samsung. I wish HTC would release a Hero with a slide out keyboard a la Diamond-> Touch Pro.

For now since I have another year left on my contract and Calk's 6.5.1 HTC Touch Pro ROM has made my phone feel like new, I may wait for a Sprint HTC 4G Android phone with a physical keyboard to come out. (one can only hope)
Old 10-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch
Carrier: sprint

nitussi is just getting started

The moment wins hands down!
Old 10-25-2009, 04:08 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

Eclipsi01 is just getting started

I played with a Samsung Moment about 2 weeks ago and it surprised me. The processor is powerful and the keyboard is nice. I currently have an HTC Touch Pro and I'll gladly toss this thing in the trash for a Samsung Moment. The fluidity of the GUI is far superior to anything HTC has built. I can't wait for release.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:40 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

ebbtide is a n00b

I'm in the same boat. I have a TP now and want to upgrade away from WinMo. Moment seems like the right choice with the hardware advantage. I'm sure software upgrades will put it up to SensiUI's interface..
Old 10-26-2009, 01:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

NetApex is keeping up the good workNetApex is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to NetApex

I suppose the best way to look at it is, what can the Hero do that the Moment can't. And what can the Moment do that the Hero can't? Hero has Sense UI (aka software which we know will be ported even if it shouldn't be) and a trackball. Moment has a hardware keyboard and an optical mouse pad feature. If those were the only differences then it would be a matter of thick vs. thin due to the keyboard. But, there is the issue of a faster processor, a flash on the camera and "probably" a faster update push time. (There wont be a need to test the Samsung UI to see if the update breaks anything because it is the universal UI.) I WAS a die hard Hero fan, but fortunately my birthday isn't until the 14th of November... I may have to think a Moment more!
Old 10-26-2009, 01:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

NetApex is keeping up the good workNetApex is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to NetApex

Argh, after a bit more research... the Moment does NOT have a digital compass! That alone puts me back on the Hero train. With all of the Augmented reality apps out that make use of the virtual compass it is practically a must have to show off what the phone can do!
Old 10-26-2009, 09:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2

docprego is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetApex View Post
Argh, after a bit more research... the Moment does NOT have a digital compass! That alone puts me back on the Hero train. With all of the Augmented reality apps out that make use of the virtual compass it is practically a must have to show off what the phone can do!
Where did you get this information? I read a thread yesterday confirming that it did have a digital compass.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:45 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Verizon

dB Zac is a n00b

My last 5 phones have been HTC phones but the battery life on the Hero is horrible! It's so bad I can't believe HTC put it on the market this way. I Love the Sense UI but it bogs the phone down a bit and the flash support is a joke. The last Samsung I had was the blackjack and I was happy with it but I wasn't as into PPC stuff as I am now. I am am prob going to swap it for the samsung before my 30 days are up

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison