PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 09:54 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Telus

Darrell262 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Need your opinion, TP2 or Hero?

I don't own a TP2, I own a tp. If you need to be logging onto any server type stuff, I would feel claustrophobic trying to type with the on screen keyboard while looking at what you need vpn'ing in or ssh.

Other then that, is there software to do that with the hero? isn't it pretty new? I'd say theres more of a chance of a windows mobile program that could take care of that for you, then finding a android program. Mind you I could be wrong.
http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/ppc-...-zatunnel.html (ssh program winmobile)
http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/ppc-...-mobilevt.html Another SSH and telnet etc.
http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/ppc-...mprt-v0-1.html something about vpn stuff.

Anyhow. Hope it works out for you.

Last edited by Darrell262; 10-14-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:56 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G (still have touch pro)
Carrier: sprint

saecrow is just getting started

well, i'm not sure how helpful this will be but i actually picked up the hero on friday the 9th (best buy reward zone pre release) and returned it on saturday the 10th. obviously, this was not a thorough test, but i was able to determine very quickly that i could not do without the hardware keyboard, and i tried! i even found replacement apps for android to replace what i need/use most in winmo, kept trying to improve my accuracy with the software keyboard, and kept wavering back and forth. from what i could find, orb is only supported by the browser (which makes it nearly impossible to use. . . also found a program called Androrb which is no better) and is a must for me, also fired up sprint navigation and it had a pretty good delay as in the past. These few other issues could have possibly been overlooked had i had better luck with the software keyboard, but i was not willing to give up everything for the admittedly very cool / and fast OS. others will say that i did not give the phone a fair run, and i would agree for the most part. however, it's one of those things you just know immediately, and that phone wasn't for me.
on the other hand, the samsung moment with android and hardware keyboard is coming next month, so that may be something to look into. . . for me, love it or hate it, i'm apparently a winmo guy and will be looking for the touch pro 2 (i'd consider the leo if it comes even though it lacks the hardware keyboard, because it has everything else i want/need) this was probably no help. . .
Old 10-14-2009, 09:57 AM
Master Kimosabi
Pocket PC: HTC s620<Touch Pro<Touch Pro2<Hero<EVO
Carrier: The 10 years ago Network

aman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.7 (WindowsMobile; PPC; Opera Mobi/35267; U; en; Presto/2.1.1))

i have a TP running the new NFS rom. I just got the hero.....holy cow. this thing is fast and intuitive, the only llag i got was the keyboard swithing from portrait to landscape; better than the TP sliding out the keyboard. Im very against the TP2 because it is essentially the same phone with a bigger screen and a bit more ram. the dealbreaker for me was the lack of a d-pad. remember, the hero has the same harware specs as the TP2 with a more memory friendly OS. the one to wait for is the newly speculated android handset running snapdragon....if you can wait. so overall, the os makkes way better use of the hardware, the radio is better and the battery lasts for a day after heavy use. what do you have to lose, 30 day trial anyway.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:02 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G (still have touch pro)
Carrier: sprint

saecrow is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman1127 View Post
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.7 (WindowsMobile; PPC; Opera Mobi/35267; U; en; Presto/2.1.1))

the only llag i got was the keyboard swithing from portrait to landscape; better than the TP sliding out the keyboard.

yeah, i forgot to mention that. . . that lag was crazy which was another thing that factored in for me, i couldn't believe that. with as fast as everything else flies around on that thing, to have a portait to landscape switch lag like that just doesn't seem right!
Old 10-14-2009, 10:05 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

slopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I think it mainly comes down to can you deal with the on-screen keyboard of the Hero. Go try it out in the store.

The capacitive screen helps with using the software keyboard because it has multi-touch; I found you can type faster on a software keyboard on a capacitive screen compared to the same sized screen of a resistive screen. The system doesn't get "confused" when you go too fast and leave off a key and begin punching your next letter.

Then again, the TP2 keyboard (for ME) is waaaaaaaaaaaaay faster. And the real estate is not something I am willing to tradeoff. YMMV.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:06 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVOlution!

heydjbobby74 is halfway to VIP status based on repheydjbobby74 is halfway to VIP status based on repheydjbobby74 is halfway to VIP status based on repheydjbobby74 is halfway to VIP status based on repheydjbobby74 is halfway to VIP status based on repheydjbobby74 is halfway to VIP status based on repheydjbobby74 is halfway to VIP status based on repheydjbobby74 is halfway to VIP status based on repheydjbobby74 is halfway to VIP status based on repheydjbobby74 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to heydjbobby74 Send a message via Yahoo to heydjbobby74 Send a message via Skype™ to heydjbobby74

This has been said a million times, but it really depends on what you like... I dumped the TP2 for the Hero, and do not regret it so far. Yes I miss the hard qwerty, but I am VERY surprised by the ease of use of the on screen keyboard. You can calibrate it to your finger touches and recalibrate if needed. Once I did that, I have NO problems with using the keyboard. Again, not bashing the TP2, cause I loved it, I just don't need it anymore and I don't believe in having something you don't use. It is up to you dude.

Everyone you speak with in here is going to have a different opinion, or experience with each device they have. So you just need to try it out for yourself... Best!~

http://www.heydjbobby.com/
Audiovox 6700> Samsung i760> HTC Touch Pro> HTC Touch Pro2> HTC HeRooted> HTC EVOlutionized!
Old 10-14-2009, 10:13 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon & Bravo
Carrier: Sprint & AT&T PAYG

budney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to budney

Threads merged!

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...1249020923.gif http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...1249020658.gif
Old 10-14-2009, 01:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: None
Carrier: None

quid246 is just getting started

Thanks for the input, I am still leaning towards the TP2... the screen real estate is a big factor. The bulk of the TP2 may no longer be a non-issue, as I have often walked around with a Gamin 750 GPS in my pocket... and it's huge.

Will go and try both out today and make a decision.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:25 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

sew3521 is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to sew3521 Send a message via MSN to sew3521 Send a message via Yahoo to sew3521
Re: HTC TP2 or HTC Hero for web browsing?

I am in the same boat floating between the TP2 and hero. I got my TP from Best Buy and have their insurance on it. My sensor on my TP is jacked up to where it constantly thinks it is either opening or closing and has made the phone nearly impossible to use. Does anyone know if I can possibly go through Sprint because my phone is a year old or will I have to use BB's warranty where they send the phone out. Also anyone know why BB is not carrying the TP2?
Old 10-23-2009, 06:12 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC INC.
Carrier: VERIZON <--?

spiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularspiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularspiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularspiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularspiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via Yahoo to spiritcrusher33
Re: HTC TP2 or HTC Hero for web browsing?

I say get a pre,lol

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison