PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2009, 02:35 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: 6800 aka Mogul bka Titan
Carrier: Sprint

JBurd3 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hero or TP2

I'm eligible for an upgrade for sprint but can't decide whether or not to get the touch pro 2 or wait for the hero. Anybody have any suggestions? Or kno the advantages or disadvantages to either?
Old 10-05-2009, 03:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

FoxRacR17 is becoming a great contributor
Re: Hero or TP2

I'm kinda in the same boat as you, however I have pretty much decided on the hero. Sure the screen is not as big or high res as the TP2, but it is multi-touch and capacitive. But the big deciding fact for me is that, while the TP was my very first winmo smartphone, I want to get away from winmo. And I have kinda grown tired of touchflo. Android and senseui looks really good, and my friend has had a G1 since they came out and she STILL loves that phone. And she is the kinda of person to get tired of thing rather quickly.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia
Carrier: Telus

hood662 knows their stuffhood662 knows their stuffhood662 knows their stuffhood662 knows their stuffhood662 knows their stuffhood662 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to hood662

one u go android u dont go back
Old 10-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

regression is keeping up the good workregression is keeping up the good work

I use a lot of Google services and would like them to be available out of the box and not have to have 3rd party software (like syncing multiple Google Calendars). Also other features (Latitude) would actually work correctly (ie, update in the background).
Old 10-05-2009, 03:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: tp2 / hero
Carrier: sprint

dmb60614 is keeping up the good workdmb60614 is keeping up the good work

you have to answer a few questions about what you want out of the phone.

does screen size matter? the tp2 has the bigger screen (i believe 3.6 to 3.2). this is the main reason i am leaning to the tp2. if the hero had the same screen i would choose that in a heartbeat.

the tp2 has a physical keyboard whereas the hero does not. for some people this is a deal breaker. they need a keyboard. i think it is a nice option to have. i do most of my typing with the on screen keyboard, but in certain situations the physical keyboard has come in handy. however, the keyboard has a drawback...size. the hero is a little bit smaller. if you think your titan is a brick you probably want to go with the hero.

winmo vs. android. android looks pretty cool and capable. the 'sense ui' looks very nice. i am really interested in checking it out. however, i dont have the same hate for winmo that some have. i used to hate it, but have grown to like after running custom roms. i've been running 6.5 on my titan and like it.

if you still dont know, i'd say go with the hero as it is half the price of the tp2.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:06 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

JBurd3 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxRacR17 View Post
I'm kinda in the same boat as you, however I have pretty much decided on the hero. Sure the screen is not as big or high res as the TP2, but it is multi-touch and capacitive. But the big deciding fact for me is that, while the TP was my very first winmo smartphone, I want to get away from winmo. And I have kinda grown tired of touchflo. Android and senseui looks really good, and my friend has had a G1 since they came out and she STILL loves that phone. And she is the kinda of person to get tired of thing rather quickly.
yea I know what you mean, everybody i know with a g1 loves their phone and they seem like the have alot more fun with it. Not to mention the fact that it seems like it runs alot smoother. I really want the hero but I don't know if I can get used to not having a keyboard
Old 10-05-2009, 06:17 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

JBurd3 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb60614 View Post
you have to answer a few questions about what you want out of the phone.

does screen size matter? the tp2 has the bigger screen (i believe 3.6 to 3.2). this is the main reason i am leaning to the tp2. if the hero had the same screen i would choose that in a heartbeat.

the tp2 has a physical keyboard whereas the hero does not. for some people this is a deal breaker. they need a keyboard. i think it is a nice option to have. i do most of my typing with the on screen keyboard, but in certain situations the physical keyboard has come in handy. however, the keyboard has a drawback...size. the hero is a little bit smaller. if you think your titan is a brick you probably want to go with the hero.

winmo vs. android. android looks pretty cool and capable. the 'sense ui' looks very nice. i am really interested in checking it out. however, i dont have the same hate for winmo that some have. i used to hate it, but have grown to like after running custom roms. i've been running 6.5 on my titan and like it.

if you still dont know, i'd say go with the hero as it is half the price of the tp2.
the screen size and price isn't a big factor for me. I have a tp now and I kno the hero screen isn't any smaller than that. If the hero had a keyboard my mind would have BEEN made up already. I'm mainly worried about if the hero is worth not having the keyboard. It's the interface android os worth it or are ther custom roms that make the tp2 just as capable
Old 10-06-2009, 12:43 AM
Google-Search&Rescue Div.
Pocket PC: MoPho CM9/ MotoACTV / GTab 10.1(I/O LE)
Carrier: PPCGeeks/XDA

MoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to MoonZ*BabysH Send a message via Skype™ to MoonZ*BabysH

U guys need to look up YouTube videos of the keyboard on the hero, it's actually comparable go the iPhones kb and since it's capasative it's worth it to me over the tp2. Don't get me wrong I love winmo but this hero has caught me off guard cuz I wanted the tp2 really bad and I was dead set on getting it till I started watching all the YouTube videos of it and reading all of the reviews. I am sold on the hero. And sprint has just made sure of keeping this customer by coming out with this now.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:19 AM
Jailbroken and rooted
Pocket PC: ET4G/Thrive/iPad (original)
Carrier: Sprint and AT&T

amw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Call me old and just want to be comfy....

I was looking at the Hero ... long hard looks ... but I'm not sold on the keyboard. Even if its comparable to an iPhone's. I have an iPod touch running their newest O/S, and the keyboard drives me crazy!! My thumbs are by no means nubs...but I have a hard time being accurate on my iPod touch...even in landscape.

Also, Google's little dust-up with Cyanogen...did not sit well with me. I know MS has sent out their share of C&D's before, but that's expected from them. When Google touts an open source approach...and then tell Cyanogen that he can't use this OR that...when those apps can be "freely" had with a search...

I've actually enjoyed the WinMo environment, albeit, it needs a HUGE upgrade (hello WinMo7 where are U??), I'm sticking with the TP2 that I upgraded to a couple of weeks ago. I was going to make a change when the Hero comes out (I'll be within the 30 day window) but the TP2 is the device the original Touch Pro should have been.

I respect everyone's opinion...and here was mine. I have to admit, however, I'd like to get the actual Sense interface on my TP2. The theme thing with MS3 and PointUI doesn't do it justice.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:00 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

mamiamjo is a n00b

I'm going android! My plan is to get the Hero and try it out for a few weeks. If I don't like it, I can return it within 30 days and get the TP2.
Also keep in mind the cost difference ($179 for the Hero vs $349 for the TP2). So my plan is to start out with the cheaper one and then if I decide to switch, I'll pay the difference. If I love the Hero, I just saved $179.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison

Tags
hero, touch pro 2