PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: G1
Carrier: T-mobile

chad2625 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
G1 vs Touch Pro

Hey,
More of my thought/review than a question.

I have had a g1 for almost a year now. despite dropping it and breaking the screen, i am still using it (I love it that much). but my phone bill is killer, and sprint will be cheaper, and my father is giveing me a TP for me and a Palm for my Boy Friend, A killer deal and I cant turn it away. So at lass tit is sadly time to retire my faith full G1. (rest in peace )

I was looking, around the internets and discovered that the P is basicly a G1 not branded a G1 running WM with 512MB ROM (not ram as it is a common mistake), and it has a radio, higher resultion screen to BOOT! So there is a light at the end of this tunnel. so it looks as if i will be able to enjoy the dual core phone with, a deicated Mulimedia processor.

For me the real questions debate between the TP vs G1 is: android. I have used Android, and I love it. Android makes any other mobile os look well, weak. Android does what I want it to very well. lots of free stupid games. It is light and easy to use, looks good, and I think that any phone that will be an iphone killer will probably use android, because it is free to put on a phone and looks so darn good.
Android has its faults, tho. It's source code is changing alot. what it does not do well it does not to at all it seems, but there is the potential do make it do what ever you want because it is opensource.

I know you can get a TP running android very easily, has anyone ported (or booted loaded) a TP to android(I like WM but the new version seems clunky), if so is it practical to use as the phone primary os?

thanks chad
Old 08-23-2009, 12:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: DROID
Carrier: Verizon

jrodizzkool01 is keeping up the good workjrodizzkool01 is keeping up the good work
Re: G1 vs tp

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad2625 View Post
Hey,
More of my thought/review than a question.

I have had a g1 for almost a year now. despite dropping it and breaking the screen, i am still using it (I love it that much). but my phone bill is killer, and sprint will be cheaper, and my father is giveing me a TP for me and a Palm for my Boy Friend, A killer deal and I cant turn it away. So at lass tit is sadly time to retire my faith full G1. (rest in peace )

I was looking, around the internets and discovered that the P is basicly a G1 not branded a G1 running WM with 512MB ROM (not ram as it is a common mistake), and it has a radio, higher resultion screen to BOOT! So there is a light at the end of this tunnel. so it looks as if i will be able to enjoy the dual core phone with, a deicated Mulimedia processor.

For me the real questions debate between the TP vs G1 is: android. I have used Android, and I love it. Android makes any other mobile os look well, weak. Android does what I want it to very well. lots of free stupid games. It is light and easy to use, looks good, and I think that any phone that will be an iphone killer will probably use android, because it is free to put on a phone and looks so darn good.
Android has its faults, tho. It's source code is changing alot. what it does not do well it does not to at all it seems, but there is the potential do make it do what ever you want because it is opensource.

I know you can get a TP running android very easily, has anyone ported (or booted loaded) a TP to android(I like WM but the new version seems clunky), if so is it practical to use as the phone primary os?

thanks chad
Right off the bat, Android is in a VERY buggy beta form for the touch pro so it wont be your primary OS and you will have to rely on Windows mobile. Compared to Android, WM (even on 6.5) is much less finger friendly and slower off the bat so make sure you test it out before your decide to purchase a Touch pro. Heres a list of what i consider the pros and cons the touch pro has over the g1

Pros:
*Screen is higher resolution
*Camera has a flash
*WM has more of a variety of apps than android since it is older
*Many different roms to choose from

Cons:
*Pressure sensitive screen is MUCH less responsive than g1's capacitive screen
*WM LAG and random restarting
*Smaller screen
*UI isnt as finger friendly even with the latest 6.5 builds
*Keyboard has less spacing between letters

The touch pro may seem like the g1 in many ways but it is infact a completely different phone because it runs WM rather than Android. Your best bet would be to see if you can get a 30 trial on a touch pro just to make sure that you like it
Old 08-23-2009, 03:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

JickBahTech is keeping up the good workJickBahTech is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Skype™ to JickBahTech

The Android ports for Windows mobile phones are pretty much just proof of concept, they're not practical for day to day use.
I'm not sure you'd want to use Android on a smaller less accurate resistive screen.

There are some great ROMS floating around for the TP that can help bring the user experience closer to Android though.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

jdawg0024 is just getting started

If you wait until October you can keep android and come to sprint, It has been rumored (but probably going to happen) That Sprint will be getting 2 phones that will run android. HTC's HERO and a Samsung Model.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:21 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO 2

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to BigDiesel07 Send a message via Skype™ to BigDiesel07
Re: G1 vs Touch Pro

Thread has been moved to correct forum... Thank you for your time.. Please continue from this scheduled news bulletin
Old 08-24-2009, 02:16 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: G1
Carrier: T-mobile
Threadstarter

chad2625 is a n00b
Question Re: G1 vs Touch Pro

Yea. That is sad, I will miss android. /cry so how is then mobile internet.explorer? I will be very interested to see how I will like the phone but for free I won't complain.

Sorrry for the mis post

Chad

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison