PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Will u be replacing your Touch Pro with Palm Pre?
YeS 55 30.90%
No 123 69.10%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 06:27 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Palm Pre, Diamond, Vogue
Carrier: Bell Mobility

mixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Palm Pre from Sprint Sooner than you think, TP owners, will you switch?

hmm i agree with most of u, but still think that with webos, though i may not have much customizability, there will be more stability.the software seems much more responsive than wm to be honest. it offers the best of stability and usability. and design wise, i love it.

u gotta admit, touch flo gets buggy at times, and crashes a lot. for the business users, the palm with simplify a lot of things, but to be honest, i dont think i can ditch wm. i JUST bought the touch pro and was using the diamond before that, and before tht the htc touch, wm is just too amazing, cuz of this community and just its ability to do SO much

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:28 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo
Carrier: Sprint

M2Iceman is becoming a great contributor

I will be waiting for a bit after the launch to make that move. Although I hate the WM programs, I do love being able to but whatever I can on my Diamond. I am waiting to see if the Pre scene will have the same level of programs to flash. I will be getting on but in time, cant wait.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:27 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

ParaSURFore is a n00b

actually in my opinion the pre's OS looks amazing, i was hooked unti i found a flaw. since it is not a windows mobile phone, i do not believe you can install programs on it. due to this an internet sharing hack is impossible and would have to pay $50 extra for a tethering plan
Old 03-11-2009, 08:28 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

gimme5 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargimme5 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargimme5 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargimme5 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargimme5 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to gimme5

I think it looks gorgeous. This video makes the UI look a bit more sluggish than I thought it would be. No SD card? That makes no sense. Just put an SD card slot in every device please.

The reason why I won't switch is that it's not WinMo. At this point, I just need my phone to have Windows mobile. Nothing else will do.

But I can definitely see people going crazy over the pre. My wife, for example, would probably love that thing.

MobileSpeedtest.com (yes, that's my site)
Old 03-11-2009, 09:12 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: 16GB iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

DaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to DaPeeps Send a message via Yahoo to DaPeeps Send a message via Skype™ to DaPeeps

Not I.....I will stick with my Pro until the Pro 2 most likley

If I or someone else helps you out, don't just say thanks, click!
Old 03-11-2009, 09:21 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: ME - EVO, WIFE - EVO

lnchbx13 knows their stufflnchbx13 knows their stufflnchbx13 knows their stufflnchbx13 knows their stufflnchbx13 knows their stufflnchbx13 knows their stuff

Where did you see that the Pre is coming out on the 15th? Are you sure you didn't mean the Palm Treo Pro? Palm and Sprint are supposed to be having a conference on Thursday of this week to give out some details, hopefully will include the release date, but afaik the Pre is still a ways off from being released.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:36 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

bujin is becoming a great contributor

I'm a former Palm and Treo junkie. When I first saw the Pre (right after buying my Touch Pro, of course), I felt pangs of buyer's remorse. However, I began to think about the actual capabilities of the Pre vs. TP. Even though the "card system" of multi-tasking looks extremely cool, in practice it doesn't really offer any advantage of the TP. If I want to switch among tasks, I would have to press the button to bring up the 'cards' for running programs, flip among them, and then press the program I want to switch to. That's really no more convenient than hitting "home", press the x in the corner, and selecting a program.

The universal search is very cool, and I don't really see the need for more memory than the 8Gb it offers, but I don't see functional improvements.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:08 AM
i like turtles
Pocket PC: Fascinate (Galaxy S)
Carrier: Verizon

chronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIP

Part of me wants to switch because I'm SO curious, then the other part of me loves my touch pro too much. I've already got a great phone but could the pre be even greater? lol.

I got burned when I jumped in as one of the first owners of the Instinct (also a java based phone) so I have to keep that in mind. Perhaps I'll give the Pre some time to ferment and when it's 100% stable and has a multitude of apps available, I'll consider it even more.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:10 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G

jasonsf is keeping up the good workjasonsf is keeping up the good work

I would have gone from my Treo 650 to the Pre, but I couldn't wait any longer. I'll probably wait for my 2 year upgrade rebate before I do it.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

darnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuff

No I won't be switching to the Pre. Not a "cloud" fan and not a "smaller" fan either. Also not a fan of devices that don't have any MicroSD slot. In addition, not a fan of devices that don't have stand alone GPS capability, from what I've heard the Pre is aGPS only.

And after my Treo 800w experience, Palm would have to make something even better than Pre (I mean super way better than anything known to exist) before I'd buy another of their devices.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison