PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Phone Comparison (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   samsung instinct vs. mogul (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=23123)

jimmiekain 04-02-2008 08:55 PM

samsung instinct vs. mogul

I have the htc mogul right now but im interested in the instinct from samsung that sprint is releasing in June. Who knows about? and what do you know? lets hear all the pros and cons please!

rhannahs19 04-02-2008 09:11 PM

Re: samsung instinct vs. mogul

cons: no wifi, looks like no full sized keyboard, iphone is ehh to begin with, not windows mobile
pros: looks sexy?
get it for your girlfriend or ur wife, not urself
just my two cents

badutahboy 04-02-2008 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhannahs19 (Post 238895)
cons: no wifi, looks like no full sized keyboard, iphone is ehh to begin with, not windows mobile
pros: looks sexy?
get it for your girlfriend or ur wife, not urself
just my two cents

Agreed

I couldn't live without my keyboard, and I love the benefits of Windows mobile.

aughsum 04-02-2008 09:59 PM

it looks like the real version of the phone had a hardware keyboard.. it was the u800 or something like that. weird.. sprint crippling the best part of a device to "save money," completely ignoring the fact the additional cost is p***** along to the customer.

if it had winmo and a hardware keyboard id be all over it..

fishpony 04-02-2008 10:09 PM

if it had the sliding keyboard, WIFI, Win Mobile, plenty of ram, and a fast cpu and gpu. basically everything the mogul should have, I would be all over it. but not being able to use WMWiFiRouter is a dealbreaker for me.

InvincibleLiving 04-02-2008 10:33 PM

i'm definitely not downgrading from a WM6.1 device to a poor imitation of the iphone... samsung and sprint really should be ashamed on this one... the fact that they intend to sell it for $400 while the real thing is about the same or only $100 is a cryin shame...

blue4shizzle 04-02-2008 11:12 PM

will yall get off of sprint's nuts, damn the phone aint even out yet an already calling it a cheap imitation, at least sprint is broadening their phone selection, it may seem like crap to some, but to others that aren't win mobile freaks will go crazy over it
let it launch before beating it down

rhannahs19 04-02-2008 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue4shizzle (Post 238984)
will yall get off of sprint's nuts, damn the phone aint even out yet an already calling it a cheap imitation, at least sprint is broadening their phone selection, it may seem like crap to some, but to others that aren't win mobile freaks will go crazy over it
let it launch before beating it down

no one is bashing it, just listing the pros and the cons like the author asked us to

blue4shizzle 04-02-2008 11:15 PM

PLUS if you check out the specs of the phone, you will see that it really is a media phone, not a power vision one.. basically a sexier upstage, since when samsung made top notch smartphones anyway? if any

TurboFool 04-03-2008 12:09 AM

The phone looks pretty sweet and will hopefully do a lot for Sprint which will benefit us in the long run. Sprint getting more business gives them more room to take care of us.

Besides, I'm hoping that since they're adding visual voicemail functionality to their network for this phone that they'll give us apps to access it on our WM-based phones.

Tower 04-03-2008 12:49 AM

Im pretty sure this phone will be NOTHING like our Moguls.Ive used many smartphones,and treos,and my last phone was the LG Voyager(Verizon) with the HTML browser also(which was junk!!).This phone looks pretty damn similiar to it(except the voyager had a QWERTY keyboard),actually it looks like its got almost all the same features also.

If you want to downgrade,then by all means pick it up.But the functionality and customization(cept ringtones and wallpapers),wont be there.

Its a multimedia device just like the Voyager,which im sure will be gimped in some way shape or form by Sprint (Verizon did it also).

The touchscreen was great but that sensation lasted about about 2 weeks,then it got old and cumbersome.I tried the screen keyboard for a few days,and EEK...it was not pretty!!

jimmiekain 04-03-2008 10:48 AM

The voyager? yuk thats what i was afraid of! I gotta say though that i have a few windows mobile phones myself and I was kind of looking for an alternative. Dont get me wrong I like my mogul but even with the new rom my blue tooth still sucks, i still have to reset at least once a day, pie still crashes daily there are a whole lot of things i love and hate about my mogul.... I guess what im saying is, isnt there anyone who has more positive to say about the instinct than negitive?

creatoroperatordestroyer 04-03-2008 10:57 AM

Can any one confirm that this is going to have the visual VM? I haven't read that in any of the revues that I have come across. If this is supposed to be an iPhone killer I think the UI has a long way to come...besides now that Apple has a SDK available that opens up the iphone for alot more apps than this phone just based on the iphones popularity. They should have developed something like this for Win mobile, with a way better looking UI. This will be cool for those people who aren't super geeks but still the Mogul wins...wi-fi, GPS, full keyboard, versitility of Win Moble and the plethera of apps/ dev availablet to it. IMO this will get at best an 'honorable attempt" at imitating the iphone, however it no way is a better option...lack of multi-touch screen, lack of accelerometer...there are some huge gaps that are left unfilled...althought the network speed is a huge plus and you're gonna need it especially without Wi-Fi.

Brera 04-03-2008 11:27 AM

pro :it does have a fully qwerty on screen in landscape mode. No wifi, pretty descent UI , comes with a 2 gb micro sd card and supports up to 8gb. come with two batteries ,talk time up to 5.something hours. Comes with a battery sleeve ( like the upstage ) , Full net access (so they are saying) Comes stock with Windows Live ,but not WM, faster version of Sprint TV and GPS, push email & access to corperate accounts, also has over 50 stock TV channels. Built in working GPS (no need to buy a puck)

con : no wifi , non-customizable UI or keyboard, LCD is 2.5 inches wide (some say almost 3.0 but i dont belive it) , When in IE and using keyboard u have .7 inches of viewing space, Crappy Samsung OS

tmorris52 04-03-2008 12:59 PM

You know I am more of a reader than a poster but I have to make an exception on this one. I am not going to lie, the phone looks and seems sweet. We all have that hope of Sprint to come with a phone that kicks the Iphone's butt. But lets be real. It's samsung and everyone knows samsung sucks, Yes their phones look hot, have the best features, etc. But it's samsung!!!! I can say this though, if Jesus so happens to come along and touch the phone with his grace aka if the phone is worth something, the pro's of it not being a pda or windows mobile based device would be our picture mail working again. But I hate to sound like a lame but I have to be real. All the samsung phones looked the best and gave hope, but the basis of the phones sucked.

jimmiekain 04-03-2008 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creatoroperatordestroyer (Post 239332)
Can any one confirm that this is going to have the visual VM? I haven't read that in any of the revues that I have come across. If this is supposed to be an iPhone killer I think the UI has a long way to come...besides now that Apple has a SDK available that opens up the iphone for alot more apps than this phone just based on the iphones popularity. They should have developed something like this for Win mobile, with a way better looking UI. This will be cool for those people who aren't super geeks but still the Mogul wins...wi-fi, GPS, full keyboard, versitility of Win Moble and the plethera of apps/ dev availablet to it. IMO this will get at best an 'honorable attempt" at imitating the iphone, however it no way is a better option...lack of multi-touch screen, lack of accelerometer...there are some huge gaps that are left unfilled...althought the network speed is a huge plus and you're gonna need it especially without Wi-Fi.

ahhh thats a big 10-4 on the visual voicemail!

blue4shizzle 04-03-2008 01:05 PM

ok, i just now realized that the instinc was being "compared" against the mogul.. my previous posts were assuming yall were jus discussing the new phone and whatnot.. but in any case, yall are right.. actually this is a really stupid comparison, there is NO way this phone could top the mogul, ever.. actually, the ONLY non win mobile phone that you could even waste your breath on mentioning against the mogul is the i-phone, and even still most would say thats a dumb question.

case in point, the instinct is a MEDIA PHONE, not a smartphone.. big difference, like comparing a touch to an upstage, lmao.. plus this phone is by samsung... enough said, haha look at the instinct as if it was an upstage 2

jimmiekain 04-03-2008 01:10 PM

i didnt really want to compare the two, i just wanted to get the opinions of the forum users and i didnt know there was a compare forum so i posted it in the mogul/titan forum just to get it on here. So it doesnt really matter if its a comparison or not i just wanna get all your opinions and actual facts that you may have on the instinct. (one of the moderators moved it from mogul/titan to comparision)

sHockz 04-03-2008 03:48 PM

the instinct has captured my attention enough for me to go in and look at one and consider trading my mogul off. i want to play with it for a solid hour before i even consider it ya know? it looks good, but all we can really do is speculate.

http://www.networkworld.com/slidesho...koffs.html?ts0

check out that link, you can click a pic of the instinct and get a little info on it. but all they seem to do is hail evdo...

blue4shizzle 04-03-2008 04:15 PM

all i know is the real iphone killer an top notch win mobile device is gonna be the Xperia 1, and i swear if sprint picks that phone up.. its all over for my touch, lmao

jah_rankin 04-03-2008 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue4shizzle (Post 239662)
all i know is the real iphone killer an top notch win mobile device is gonna be the Xperia 1, and i swear if sprint picks that phone up.. its all over for my touch, lmao

I see that this phone is rated as GSM.

U must hate yourself huh?????

nxtech3 04-03-2008 04:26 PM

The Instinct is not the "Iphone killer" or the alternative to a Mogul. The instinct is a touch-interface samsung. nothing really special about it except some of the browser features and it has stereo BT not that big a of a deal to me. I might get it to replace my Nextel i880 but i would never trade my mogul for anything except another Windows PPC.

Apparently the new in thing is all touch screen. Just because the iphone happens to be the most widely marketed phone since the RAZR, People automatically assume every touch screen phone made after it is an "IPhone Killer", and that isnt the case. Sorry for the rant, its just that Sprint gets blasted no matter what they do.

blue4shizzle 04-03-2008 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jah_rankin (Post 239684)
I see that this phone is rated as GSM.

U must hate yourself huh?????

how about doing a little homework first you retard.. dont talk unless you know what you claim to let on.. just because its a gsm phone doesnt mean it cant be switched to cdma, if you really knew much you would know the touch was GSM before coming over seas.. and sony is considering making a cdma for the extra amount the would rack in.. some people should really jus keep their mouths shut before speaking.. my sig says it all

blue4shizzle 04-03-2008 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nxtech3 (Post 239686)
The Instinct is not the "Iphone killer" or the alternative to a Mogul. The instinct is a touch-interface samsung. nothing really special about it except some of the browser features and it has stereo BT not that big a of a deal to me. I might get it to replace my Nextel i880 but i would never trade my mogul for anything except another Windows PPC.

Apparently the new in thing is all touch screen. Just because the iphone happens to be the most widely marketed phone since the RAZR, People automatically assume every touch screen phone made after it is an "IPhone Killer", and that isnt the case. Sorry for the rant, its just that Sprint gets blasted no matter what they do.

hey its not all bad now.. the phone will have GPS and Rev A.. its going to be a hit, trust me

TucanMobile 04-03-2008 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brera (Post 239347)
con : no wifi , non-customizable UI or keyboard, LCD is 2.5 inches wide (some say almost 3.0 but i dont belive it) , When in IE and using keyboard u have .7 inches of viewing space, Crappy Samsung OS

3.1" TFT LCD, 240x432, haptic touch screen. All technical specifications are here http://www.nowisgood.com/?id9=SEM

This phone will be great for Sprint. Most cell phone customers are not as informed or interested to be informed about cell phones as most of the people on this site. The Sprint Instinct will have more than enough features for your average Joe Schmoe cell phone user looking to stay with sprint, but still have something as cool as the iPhone. The UI will not be better the iPhone's, that is almost guaranteed. In fact I'll be willing to bet not even WM7 will have a more user friendly, responsive UI experience as the iPhone to be quite honest.

This phone will probably be more stable than our WM6 phones, but I know for me it wouldn't replace my Touch or Mogul (if I had a Mogul). It's a nice dumb phone, but it won't have any 3rd party apps among other things that have already been mentioned. It is reported to have Visual Voicemail. I believe was reported in the Sprint press release. It also has control of the internet browser by tilting the phone by using the camera. There is a video on this, but the technology looks finicky and doesn't seem to work in low light situations.

It's a cool phone but I would stick with your Mogul unless you have your 22 month $150 discount ready to go (I'm guessing the price after discount and rebate will be $150 just under the Blackberry Curve) and your sick of your Mogul. Don't forget you would have to live without a physical keyboard, wifi, and 3rd part apps, etc.

keefin 04-03-2008 05:41 PM

You couldnt pay me enough to take a Samsung phone.

InvincibleLiving 04-03-2008 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keefin (Post 239768)
You couldnt pay me enough to take a Samsung phone.

oh i'd take loot to take a samsung phone, but that doesnt mean i'd abandon my ppc:twisted:

blue4shizzle 04-04-2008 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jah_rankin (Post 240204)
Do homework first huh? A!@ wipe! your sig tells me u hate yourself.

once again you prooved my previous post to be that much more right, do your homework before trying to sound smart, cuz you are really looking like an idiot right now, the phone does have gps and rev A

http://www.mobiledia.com/news/65620.html

Brera 04-04-2008 10:30 AM

The ONLY cool thing about the phone is its Voice POI GPS & the fact that it comes with a 2gb card and 2 batteries, everything else isnt that great. Button lag on closing and opening, apps load (with the "wait this is gonna take forever" rotating icon) slow. UI is not impressive, keyboard layout is wack, the viewing pane is everylovin small. You can only use the keyboard in landscape. Can't customize anything due to Samsungs crappy OS. The web surfing isnt impressive either. If you have to type into a search bar, good luck with the .5 viewing pane u get while using the keyboard. Photo viewing/zooming is crap. Its an ok phone for a normal phone user, but no where near compairable to the use of smartphone or ppc.

Here watch this AMAZING..ly crappy phone in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWya25m5i70

TucanMobile 04-04-2008 11:39 AM

Bottom line is I think people who are looking for that definitive iPhone experience will be sorely let down. People who want a phone with a bunch of nice features, but don't want to deal with WM will be perfectly happy.

I'm hoping this phone really works out for Sprint because they sure as heck need it.

CozBoogie 04-04-2008 05:56 PM

Everyone needs to chill out! Take a deep breath...inhale....exhale...relax.

Any more childish behavior and I'll close this down.

Thanks for your understanding and be sure to floss daily.

late,
Coz

CEMIII 04-05-2008 10:53 PM

Agreed with all Sleek looking but no wifi no WM6.x and no key board so no customazations (can i spell) which means no sling media adds and no hack jobs.
Those Verizon people are lucky they get the same phone at years end but with the keyboard

Lsme420 04-06-2008 03:01 PM

I think the samsung instinct is a good "CELL" phone but the 6800 is a good "PPC". I dont think I'll ever go back to a cell phone.

InvincibleLiving 04-06-2008 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lsme420 (Post 242306)
I think the samsung instinct is a good "CELL" phone but the 6800 is a good "PPC". I dont think I'll ever go back to a cell phone.

my sentiments exactly....

SxualChkL8 04-08-2008 12:35 PM

It seems to me that alot of people are just hating on this phone for 2 reasons.
1) They hate Samsung
2) They think PPC/WM is the only way to go.
I think if you just need corp e-mail, you want SMS/MMS and be able to send video, GPS, Rev. A, Internet (btw, you aren't really looking at the webpage when you are typing in a new url), 2 batteries, 2gb mem card, cradle, and a sleek good looking phone under $300, this is your choice.
I can't believe that there are alot of people sticking up for the Mogul with the Fourms loaded with "How can I fix the Mogul with extra apps and hacks" post.
Let's wait until the O/S is out of beta and see what it can do before we bash the crap out of it. It looks to be a good PHONE to me.

InvincibleLiving 04-08-2008 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SxualChkL8 (Post 244054)
It seems to me that alot of people are just hating on this phone for 2 reasons.
1) They hate Samsung
2) They think PPC/WM is the only way to go.
I think if you just need corp e-mail, you want SMS/MMS and be able to send video, GPS, Rev. A, Internet (btw, you aren't really looking at the webpage when you are typing in a new url), and a sleek good looking phone, this is your choice.
I can't believe that there are alot of people sticking up for the Mogul with the Fourms loaded with "How can I fix the Mogul with extra apps and hacks" post.
Let's wait until the O/S is out of beta and see what i can do before we bash the crap out of it. It looks to be a good PHONE to me.

dear randy watson :twisted: people are hating this phone because it's sprint's lame attempt to 'cash in' on the iphone's success. and when you judge the phone on THAT merit and see the phone for what it is -- a ploy -- that's what people are hating.

like the fake wii's they sell at kb toystores for like $20... it's just a crap imitation and that's what we're upset about... This will officially be the most marketed and promoted device Sprint has ever had to date... and to me that's just not right.

so the decision comes down to A) buy a iphone knock-off for $400 or B) buy a ppc WM6 Mogul with the Fourms loaded with "How can I fix the Mogul with extra apps and hacks" posts for $400 - $500 lol...

SxualChkL8 04-08-2008 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nautica2450 (Post 244074)
so the decision comes down to A) buy a iphone knock-off for $400 or B) buy a ppc WM6 Mogul with the Fourms loaded with "How can I fix the Mogul with extra apps and hacks" posts for $400 - $500 lol...

That's a tough decision. I guess I'll have to have both so I won't be so frustrated. LOL

BTW....That boy good! He can sing!

winmobilelawyer 04-09-2008 07:08 PM

First I want to stand up for Samsung.

Remember the Razr hype? Samsung's answer.. the A900. I LOVED that phone. It was ten times the razr.

Yes i know blah blah people should innovate and not copy. But sometimes its better to improve upon an already existing concept. Here, its the all touch interface.

For custom apps, its java based and can run just about anything. While it might be limited to apps in the sprint store, im sure there will be hacks to allow 3rd party java apps to run. And being the the UI is java based, it wont be a project to run java apps like it is on a ppc.

This is going to be a SOLID phone. i-Phone killer? Probably not. Meant to cash in on i-Phone fad? Probably a little. But still it will be a solid and usefull phone.

And like many people have said, we should let the phone come out before making too many speculations and judgments.

metlhed81 04-11-2008 08:32 PM

This is not a smartphone. all specs are on sprint.com. the Instinct will be a media phone with touch screen capabilities. No more. EVDO rev. 0 Broadband Network with phone as modem capabilties. No doubt it will be the biggest hit since the red razr for sprint this summer. A definit step up from a poor attempt of a media phone the Upstage. same demensions as Iphone.

I love my mogul but this BB8830 def. kicks some trash. cant wait for the BB Curve 8330!

SxualChkL8 04-14-2008 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metlhed81 (Post 247516)
This is not a smartphone. all specs are on sprint.com. the Instinct will be a media phone with touch screen capabilities. No more. EVDO rev. 0 Broadband Network with phone as modem capabilties. No doubt it will be the biggest hit since the red razr for sprint this summer. A definit step up from a poor attempt of a media phone the Upstage. same demensions as Iphone.

I love my mogul but this BB8830 def. kicks some trash. cant wait for the BB Curve 8330!

What are you talking about? The specs say that this phone "WILL" be able to be used as phone as a modem and it will have Rev. A.

Stop hating. I have the Mogul and I love it, but this phone hasn't come out yet and people want to talk about how buggy it is on "BETA" software. Just chill.