PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 01:57 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: WHAT IS BETTER? iPhone 4S or Droid Photon!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightsrealm View Post
Honestly, I'm not going to be using it for super complicated things. I just want to make the best decision when spending this much money. With my upgrade discounts, the price is close enough between the two (iPhone 4S is a little more expensive).

I have heard that the employees at Sprint may be pushing the Droid because they don't earn much commission on the iPhone 4S...anyone heard that?

What I'm going to use the phone for.
  • Calling (duh)
  • Texting
  • Email
  • GPS
  • Applications
etc.

To be honest I'm upgrading from a TP2 here (with no upgraded ROM or anything), so I'm sure I'll be overwhelmed by both of these phones potential.

Battery life is important to me, getting a good case so I don't crack my screen is important (lol) and yeah...that's all I can think of right now.

Any more help/feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!!
then either the iPhone or HTC Arrive should serve u fine in those cases. the thing with wp7 on the apps front is that alot of the things people use apps for are already built in and 90% of the most wanted apps are already on wp7.

I can't believe @aedon is going to Andy
Old 10-23-2011, 02:29 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

midnightsrealm is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
then either the iPhone or HTC Arrive should serve u fine in those cases. the thing with wp7 on the apps front is that alot of the things people use apps for are already built in and 90% of the most wanted apps are already on wp7.

I'm not considering the HTC Arrive.

It's between the iPhone 4s and the Droid Photon....and I'm looking to ascertain which phone is better...not which will serve me "fine"
Old 10-23-2011, 02:31 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2 (R.I.P) / htc EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premuim

aedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Its a CDMA version of HTC Sensation 4G actually..

um..Google Nexus II? Do you mean the Nexus Prime? if so they have different processors and different screen and resolution.
Well what ive read and heard about the 4g desighn was just that.
the 4g desighn is a world phone tho. Its not just cdma

about the samsung...
Im going off what the guy at the store told me. He said it would be a Nexus II
and that it was exactly the same

So Im just saying what he told me, if hes wrong my bad, but its not my fault

Last edited by aedon; 10-23-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:35 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

aedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post

haha.
Sorry bro but had windows 7 phones been ANYTHING like 6.5 i would totally have gone with the arrive. it has THE BEST physical keyboard of anything ive seen out in stores now.

But windows 7 phones just aint my cup o tea

Tell you what tho, id take a win7 phone over the crappy iphone. after playing with it the weekend it came out i was like
"oh ya.. i still hate iphones" lol

But the adroids are just soooo much more custimizable.
win 7 just doesnt have that
Old 10-23-2011, 02:47 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G
Threadstarter

midnightsrealm is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedon View Post

But the adroids are just soooo much more custimizable.
win 7 just doesnt have that
So do you think that the Android Photon, in and of itself, is a BETTER phone than the iPhone 4S? I would say that the iPhone is still considered the "cooler" phone between the two, but with that aside, what do you think is best?

I need someone to really tell me "Between the iPhone 4S and the Droid Photon, ______ is best and this is why: _____________________".

Thanks guys.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:
I'm not considering the HTC Arrive.

It's between the iPhone 4s and the Droid Photon....and I'm looking to ascertain which phone is better...not which will serve me "fine"
Trying to say wich is better is a hard thing to go about.
its like the difference between mac or pc. (I dont want to start anything here guys, im just saying)
Both have great qualities but people like either a mac or pc for diferent reasons.

Same thing here
Both phones are good.
thats the bottom line.

If I were to look at ONLY THE SPECS
id say the iphone is a stronger phone.
but juust bearly, its got that 1.5 A5, thats an amazing processor hands down.

But not to say the photon doesnt have a strong processor itself.
a dual 1ghtz is still powerfull.

it comes down to what you want in the end.
they both do what you want.
they just both have dif perks.

-on the one hand you can easily customize the droid
-bigger screen.
-easier to navigate (in my opinion)
-4g if available
-but if your lucky you might get like one or 2 official updates for the softwhere for it

-on the other you have a simple and set iphone.
-smaller but somewhat brighter screen
-limited custimaztion ability unless jailbroken
-BUT your garenteed to be eligable for softwhere upgrades till like iOS6

Bottom line is tho.. what phone feels right?
have you gone in and actually played with both phones?

I know thatsa huge dividing line. I was so sure I was going to get a shift
everything i saw on the computer made me lean to it as my upgrade.
but the day I went to look at it in store I hated it.
well.. maybe not hate but you understand.

On that note there was another phone there, the samsung conquer, that by ALL MEANS is a introductory smart phone and is tech wise sapouse to only be mid range but I fell in love with the desighn and the speeds of the phone.
Unfortunatly the screen is the same size as the tp2 with only around half the res and my hands are just to big to text on that phone with out a physical keyboard.
Because of the somewhat low res of the device it makes it hard to accuratly type (for me anyway, Im too used to resistive screens)

So we can give you all the info in the world.
but its your decision in the end

If it was erics way hed have you buy the arrive lmao
Gullz would have you buy that epic
Im parcial to htc myself. I just havnt really seen anything for sprint by them that has really caught my interest.

Everyone here has a bias because of what they personally like and what they have grown to hate either from personal experience or hear-say, wether they admit it or not (or maybe even just dont realize)

All that aside, wich phone impressed you the most?
I know you said that you asked the reps at the store, but what did you think?
Old 10-23-2011, 02:58 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Honestly, I'm not going to be using it for super complicated things. I just want to make the best decision when spending this much money. With my upgrade discounts, the price is close enough between the two (iPhone 4S is a little more expensive).
If you don't plan to make any plan changes you can also order from 3rd parties like walmart online and get the photon for 99$ if that is the route you choose.

Quote:
I have heard that the employees at Sprint may be pushing the Droid because they don't earn much commission on the iPhone 4S...anyone heard that?
Well considering sprint spent 20 billion to try to get the iphone I doubt that would be the reason as their managers would want them to push the iphone. I think it more has to do with Sprint is more used to Android phones (Droid is a trademark of verizon) and more experienced with them. But I can't tell you for sure.

Quote:
What I'm going to use the phone for.
  • Calling (duh)
  • Texting
  • Email
  • GPS
  • Applications
etc.
Considering the use thats pretty basic and both are more then capable of the above. In terms of Applications they are about the same, iphone has more quality games I hear but Android has a lot more free applications.

Quote:
To be honest I'm upgrading from a TP2 here (with no upgraded ROM or anything), so I'm sure I'll be overwhelmed by both of these phones potential.
It will be like night and day, lol. I use both my TP2 and my Epic at the same time and while my TP2 holds a place in my heart the difference is HUGE.

Quote:
Battery life is important to me, getting a good case so I don't crack my screen is important (lol) and yeah...that's all I can think of right now.
In terms of battery both should be ok, if you plan to root you may be able to do a few tricks like undervolt your cpu to get better battery life or get an extended battery. On the iphone you have less room for improving battery life but it should be ok, though I hear the battery life is worse then the previous version. To note I have not used both devices for any extended period of time and I am basing it only on what I heard.

As for case, I don't particularly think the Motorola photon needs a case as badly as say the TP2 due to it having Gorilla Glass (not saying it will hurt to have a case). The iphone is much more fragile so a case is a must.

What I can suggest is going into the store and see if you can get the photon and if you don't like it see if they are willing to exchange it within the 14 days for an iphone without charging you a restocking fee. Its easier to try to negotiate with the Photon at first then an iphone because Apple enforces much harsher policies on carriers as Apple does not like returns.(It looks bad for their reputation)

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 10-23-2011, 03:39 PM
#1 troll!
Pocket PC: Moto G5 Plus
Carrier: AT&T aka deathstar

fixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.7; en-us; Incredible 2 Build/GWK74) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Get the epic tough 4g. Or the new evo that just came out.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:41 PM
#1 troll!
Pocket PC: Moto G5 Plus
Carrier: AT&T aka deathstar

fixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.7; en-us; Incredible 2 Build/GWK74) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341
if I was going by specs I would say the photon. but by user experience I would say get a wp7 phone (HTC Arrive) especially with mango out now. this video will give a comparison between the two: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=IKfvUIZn7PA

after showing this video to one of my friends with an iPhone she said that it makes her iPhone seem all sucky and boring while still pretty.
Dude the arrive isnt a good phone plus its older. If hes updating he might as well get something newer and high end. The arrive has horrid reviews.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:10 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer2008 View Post

Dude the arrive isnt a good phone plus its older. If hes updating he might as well get something newer and high end. The arrive has horrid reviews.

haha, watch it now, eric will fight nail and tooth for his arrive

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison

Tags
droid, iphone, iphone 4s or droid photon, iphone or droid