PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 02:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Sprint

Bostonbull is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

How do these two platforms compare for business use? i am currently on a TP2 with WM6.5 and love the OS for what I use it for, but hate the bogging, delays, and crashing. looking to upgrade. Thinking about Arrive or Evo Shift......OS is what im hung up on right now though.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:01 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Re: WP7 OS vs AndroiD OS for business uses

Well wp7 has free office right out of the box as well as SharePoint integration. There currently is no SkyDrive sync for office documents but I posted a thread with a tip that will enable the arrive to be used as a USB drive. Wp7 also has great exchange support and u can sync with multiple exchange accounts but not with outlook directly currently(this has been the dealbreaker for a small amount of people ). Wp7 is also tons more secure than Android so u don't have to worry about ur personal data becoming compromised everytime u install an app. So I by far recommend the arrive but if u want u can try them both to see which suits ur needs better.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:27 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

gonna move this to phone comparison.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:31 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
Well wp7 has free office right out of the box as well as SharePoint integration. There currently is no SkyDrive sync for office documents but I posted a thread with a tip that will enable the arrive to be used as a USB drive. Wp7 also has great exchange support and u can sync with multiple exchange accounts but not with outlook directly currently(this has been the dealbreaker for a small amount of people ). Wp7 is also tons more secure than Android so u don't have to worry about ur personal data becoming compromised everytime u install an app. So I by far recommend the arrive but if u want u can try them both to see which suits ur needs better.
There is sharepoint integration on Android..not the default browser but some free browsers do have it.

There are also some free office suites that can read/write but I personally have not tested them so can't claim how good they are. (some come with office but not the evo shift in particular)

As for exchange..as of 2.2.1, exchange support adds a lot more security policies...like enforcing pin to access the data and remote wiping for exchange.

Also there is Google Docs syncing...

But as I said before..pick one and you got 30 days to exchange it if you dont like it..you can innie minnie mini moe if its too tough of a choice...

or open up 2 new lines..get both.play with both and return them both at end of 30 days, then get the one you like.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)

Last edited by gTen; 04-02-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:10 PM
VIP MVP
Pocket PC: TP Dos/OG Epic/Touch

masetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuff
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Depends on your needs
I upgraded to the Epic 4g from a tp2 (awesome keyboard) and i use my phone for work all the time i havent found android not to be able to do something i needed for work.

It comes with Think Free office (atleast the epic does)installed and theres others in the market available

also you can do what gten said and open two lines get both and then you can figure out which one you like before the 30days are over and that way you can have a great OS and use the arrive as a good paperweight.. LOL ( i know eric is going to love that comment)

Old 05-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: 2032/6700/6800/Arrive/Samsung Epic 4G

TexasAggie97 is keeping up the good workTexasAggie97 is keeping up the good workTexasAggie97 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Wink Re: WP7 OS vs AndroiD OS for business uses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonbull View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

How do these two platforms compare for business use? i am currently on a TP2 with WM6.5 and love the OS for what I use it for, but hate the bogging, delays, and crashing. looking to upgrade. Thinking about Arrive or Evo Shift......OS is what im hung up on right now though.

This might be too late for you, but as a true business user Android beats Windows iPhone (in its current state) hands down. I was able to transfer all my Microsoft Word & Excel files over to my Android within seconds on connecting it to my PC and didn't have to hack the phone to get it to work as a USB drive. Both Word and Excel open up and are usable without problems on my Epic.

My e-mails from work sync as do my contacts and I have had zero problems with this issue unlike I (and many other business users) did with Windows iPhone 7 OS.

Finally, when I travel, I can watch a movie on my phone on the larger screen and not worry about Zune recoding my files with lower sound quality especially in a noisey airplane.

As a business user, Android is the way to go.....
Old 05-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Carrier: At&t

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mindfrost82

I own both WP7 and Android. I use it for business and pleasure. It all honestly comes down to your needs.

Mango will be a big turning point for WP7 though and allow you to do more with it. Some Exchange setups won't work with WP7 but they mostly work with Android. If it doesn't work with the built-in client, there's some 3rd party ones.

With WP7 (including NoDo), its meant more as a consumer/entertainment device. Mango will open it up some more for businesses.

If you require certain apps for your business, that's something to research. I manage our Linux servers here at PPCG, and I can SSH into them from Android, but there wasn't a client for WP7 the last time I checked.

You can also tether with Android and use Google Nav if you travel.

If you're looking for the NOW, then I would probably lean towards Android. If you're looking for the FUTURE, then WP7 could be the winner once Mango hits...but that probably won't be until this Fall.

EDIT: With Office, it depends on your needs too. WP7 does have Office, but there's currently no way to sync docs (coming in Mango to use SkyDrive, or unless you use the USB storage trick). On Android, you can access your storage card to save docs and most of the phones come with some form of Office editor for Word and Excel (not officially from Microsoft though). There's also a Google Docs app that lets you edit/sync your docs that are saved in the cloud.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:02 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 3D

scrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Wp7 is also tons more secure than Android so u don't have to worry about ur personal data becoming compromised everytime u install an app.
Could you please post specifics to back this up?

Donations always accepted but never expected!
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:03 AM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Wp7 is also tons more secure than Android so u don't have to worry about ur personal data becoming compromised everytime u install an app.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrosler View Post

I too would like to see some evidence of this.

Seems to me all 3 big platforms are hackable and not THAT secure; if the right people want to get in, they will. The WP7 Marketplace has already been hacked by a white-hat pretty easily and I don't doubt it would be that hard to do it again.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:09 AM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrosler View Post
Well, currently there is no malware in the WP7 app store, for one thing

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison