PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Phone Comparison (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   My TP2 sucks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=121141)

revaaron 05-14-2010 11:38 AM

My TP2 sucks

stock 6.5 ROM. I keep reflashing my phone every 2 weeks.
starting off with:
sprint_tp2_cleanup_wm65.cab

and then installing a few simple things.
after 2 weeks, the phone is slow as hell.
Right now, I can't pick up my phone in the morning and many times during the day. I'll see the screen say incoming call and I'll slide the slider over "Hello?" nothing. look back and the phone "missed call". fail.
another time, I hit the call pick up physical button "Hello?" nothing. Look back at the phone and it's still ringing. Hit the Pick up button again and I hear them, but the phone finally registers 2 clicks on the pick up button and promptly hangs up on the person. fail.

next, I click the icon for IE and it takes about 1 minute for it to come up, freezing the phone. When IE comes up the zooming in and out that it does is ridiculous. And the txt size to the size of input boxes... don't even get me started.

next, this happens a couple times a day, I'll click the "on" button.. nothing. I'll let it sit, holding and hitting the on button. nothing. If I wait about 5 minutes and try again, the phone comes on like nothing was wrong. by that time, I've usually pulled the battery which loses any txts that I just got.

text messaging is almost unusable a lot of the times cause the UI freezes so much while switching back and forth. That's what I use the damn thing for most of the time.

pimpsuprazx 05-14-2010 11:40 AM

Re: My TP2 sucks

get a better rom

revaaron 05-14-2010 11:43 AM

ok, which rom is better? I like the HTC sense UI 2.5.x
I've looked for instructions and none of the ones I found on mightyrom and energyrom seem to be concrete. I want specific directions to get my phone working on sprint without fail. I'm on call all the time, if my phone doesn't work, the fines from it can be around $60K.

revaaron 05-14-2010 11:46 AM

after a couple hours with my iPad and it's instant access to all apps, my phone became a huge duce in my mind.

pimpsuprazx 05-14-2010 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revaaron (Post 1752232)
I've looked for instructions and none of the ones I found on mightyrom and energyrom seem to be concrete. I want specific directions to get my phone working on sprint without fail. I'm on call all the time, if my phone doesn't work, the fines from it can be around $60K.

well damn lol, I'm not getting blamed for a 60k fine lol, I suggest doing a little snooping around the rom section, I've heard the sprint lover's rom is good, but haven't tried it personally, I use the affliction rom, but I'm not using sprint so I'm not sure how it would react with your provider.

kaoss_11 05-14-2010 11:46 AM

i know it sucks but does it swallow too. lol

austin420 05-14-2010 11:47 AM

hard reset and ditch the clean up cab. it causes more trouble than its worth. if theres anything ive learned from that clean up cab its just do tweaks myself. also, as well as not using the clean up cab, try a ram sweeper like clear temp or clean ram. links provided.
clean ram. http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=59447
clear temp. http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/ppc-...temp-v1-0.html

revaaron 05-14-2010 11:57 AM

@austin420: I think you might be right... I think I will try that. I really hate the way it does word correction, but my battery life is amazing after I install it. 1.5 days with a lot of use.

@pimpsuprazx: it wouldn't be me that pays the fine, but that would kill my station. I do contract engineering for a radio station and if the remote for the transmitter doesn't work, they call me and I have to work on it over my phone. FCC is serious business.

revaaron 05-14-2010 12:03 PM

maybe I will try
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=119887

austin420 05-14-2010 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revaaron (Post 1752296)

looks good. are you unlocked?

boredandtattooed 05-14-2010 12:12 PM

Quote:

learn how to cook your own.. or use stock.... you get fined 60k thats your fault, not whoever made the ROM... YOUR flashing at YOUR own risk! you need to ask yourself does not being on stock out weight the potential fine if your phones is tweaked out and not working..

ill guarentee theres nothing your phone does that mine doesnt, and im running stock, still modded out to the max... AND i can answer my phone without fail.......

revaaron 05-14-2010 12:14 PM

@austin420: seeing as I have no idea what that is... the obvious answer is no.

austin420 05-14-2010 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revaaron (Post 1752325)
@austin420: seeing as I have no idea what that is... the obvious answer is no.

start here.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=93252
youll do just fine.

necrophagist 05-14-2010 12:23 PM

Hey Rev, you gonna be Foghorn's show tomorrow night at Champions? I just got a TP2 as well, we can talk about rom stuff. We seem to get involved with the same faulty technology (that seagate 1.5TB drive and the touchpro 1) haha.

revaaron 05-14-2010 12:25 PM

no can do, my AV won't let me do anything to that unlocker.

revaaron 05-14-2010 12:28 PM

@necrophagist: IRL invading my thread? it's more likely than you think. I believe that I'm going to spend a beautiful day not going to that show. Have you been on http://text.returntothepit.com? does the size of the fonts/qik reply get all messed up? WTF is up with that? I have this teeeeeeeny tiny textarea and HUGE forum lettering. the TP didn't do that with PIE.

austin420 05-14-2010 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revaaron (Post 1752347)
no can do, my AV won't let me do anything to that unlocker.

yea. most people have to disable their anti virus first. if thats not for you, no biggie. personally, i use bit defender on my pc and it let it through and the unlocker worked just fine. some people were having problems with thier av removing and "disinfecting" part of the unnlocker files too.

necrophagist 05-14-2010 12:41 PM

Alright glad I asked, I'll bring my camera bag then. I've been a winmo user for about 5 years now, mostly been an Opera user. The text-only site has never had any of those problems with fonts/input boxes, but I'm an Opera user. Why are you using PIE?
I'm currently using the latest Mighty Rom, fyi.

And yes, it's more likely than you think. You think I actually do work at work? :P

revaaron 05-14-2010 12:43 PM

I use IE for RTTP and opera for everything else. the reason is cause I have to kill off opera all the time so I have IE launch RTTP mobile and Opera launch gmail.

I wish that the EVO 4G had a qwerty kb. I'm waiting for a android sprint phone with full kb and a 1GHz snap dragon before I dump the TP2.

revaaron 05-14-2010 12:45 PM

I just hard reset. I'm syncing with exchange and installing myphone to get my txt back.

austin420 05-14-2010 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revaaron (Post 1752391)
I just hard reset. I'm syncing with exchange and installing myphone to get my txt back.

i noticed you said you were having lagging problems in the first post. you dont by chance have a few thousnd texts you restoring do you? windows sms handles them semi ok in the hundreds, but htc sms will freeeze alot with more that a few hundred.

necrophagist 05-14-2010 12:56 PM

I'm waiting for that kind of device too, physical keyboard or gtfo.

Why don't you have your gmail linked to your inbox instead of using webmail on Opera? And I wipe my texts every few weeks. I find that too many slows the phone down.

revaaron 05-14-2010 01:08 PM

@austin420: I know all about the txt issues. I do about 1000 txts a month. I have this convoluted way of backing up txts to gmail
Efficasoft Mobile Epress-> text file -> perl script -> mbox format -> thunderbird -> mercury mail -> gmail
but even with 0 txts, I had this same issue. Last month, I loaded all 24K txt from myphone on to the device... that was hilarious.even after deleting them the phone wasn't the same until I flashed it.

@alx: cause the inbox only shows the inbox from gmail and not "all mail" I get like 600-1000 emails a day so I have all these ingress filters. just looking at the inbox shows me like 1/10 of my actual emails.

revaaron 05-14-2010 01:12 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE_rD...eature=related
boners!

jmorton10 05-14-2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revaaron (Post 1752489)

Eer, BFD you can install Linux on almost anything.......

~John

thayer 05-14-2010 01:59 PM

A $60,000k Fine? Dude, get a motorola V60 and carry that bad boy around with you too. Pageplus Cellular unlimited voice/text for 40$. 1200/1200 for 30$

Downgrade the TP2 to mighty's 6.5/2.1 february release. I used it for months with rediculous amounts of crap and didn't run into the call fail.

orangekid 05-14-2010 02:05 PM

I'd get a Hero or an Evo :)

revaaron 05-14-2010 03:12 PM

no kb no thanks.

revaaron 05-14-2010 03:13 PM

and I'm not carrying around 2 phones.

Wesley762 05-14-2010 03:23 PM

Plain and simple, if your phone sucks sell it and get something else.

nrfitchett4 05-14-2010 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revaaron (Post 1752240)
after a couple hours with my iPad and it's instant access to all apps, my phone became a huge duce in my mind.

go back to 6.1/2.1 rom. stock roms just aren't optimized to run 2.5 well on our hardware.
or turn off sense and go with mobile shell, much less of a memory hog and more functional.

nrfitchett4 05-14-2010 05:48 PM

sounds like you need to carry a laptop or a netbook. 600-1000 emails a day??

jbonilla 05-17-2010 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revaaron (Post 1752350)
@necrophagist: IRL invading my thread? it's more likely than you think. I believe that I'm going to spend a beautiful day not going to that show. Have you been on http://text.returntothepit.com? does the size of the fonts/qik reply get all messed up? WTF is up with that? I have this teeeeeeeny tiny textarea and HUGE forum lettering. the TP didn't do that with PIE.

Try installing IE Toggle. It allows you to run Internet Explorer as PIE (like it was with the earlier Windows Mobile versions) instead of Internet Explorer 6 Mobile. Basically you'll get back the older PIE which I like better for certain websites, but you'll still be able to use the new IE6 if you need to. Just click on IE Toggle and select PIE from the menu. Not sure if this will help but PIE seems to handle fonts better for me.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/attachment...9&d=1260231920

revaaron 05-17-2010 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbonilla (Post 1757044)
Try installing IE Toggle. It allows you to run Internet Explorer as PIE (like it was with the earlier Windows Mobile versions) instead of Internet Explorer 6 Mobile. Basically you'll get back the older PIE which I like better for certain websites, but you'll still be able to use the new IE6 if you need to. Just click on IE Toggle and select PIE from the menu. Not sure if this will help but PIE seems to handle fonts better for me.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/attachment...9&d=1260231920

<3!!!!!

rodbac 05-17-2010 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revaaron (Post 1752240)

If I had to type a tenth as many emails and texts as you say you do on a freaking iPad, I'd hang myself.

To say nothing of dragging that ridiculous thing around with me everywhere...

THE-COPS 05-17-2010 05:34 PM

You don't need to get a different phone. It's not the phone that's sucking, it's the friggin ROM. Stock 6.5 ROMS regardless if it's Sprint or VZW, they just plain suck. Stock 6.1 ROM's are better ...well IMO. Not everyone will experience these issues with the 6.5 ROM, it just depends on what they're doing with it and what software they have installed. For me, I'm avoiding the stock 6.5 upgrade. Way too much trouble if you ask me. Some of you can argue that "oh 6.5 works just fine for me, it's a good ROM" , but it doesn't fix the problems other people are having pain and simple. Stock 6.5 is a buggy piece of s***. I wouldn't use that thing if it were the only other ROM available period. Too many things that either don't work, or run excessively slow. If you want it to work right, try flashing a different ROM. I would say SSK, but I think that is only for Verizon. Again, you don't have to go out and buy a new phone. Kill the AV software somehow and unlock. If you're on Vista, that can sometimes be quite a task because built-in stuff often blocks the HSPL. Just disabling it sometimes don't even work. All I say is do what you can, or at least try to. Yeah, I wish there were a different unlocker, but that is all that's available.

Also, as a temporary fix, try disabling TF3D. TF3D is actually Sense, or manilla. Don't know why all the names. Go into Today Screen config and uncheck the TouchFlo3D check box. I know it doesn't look real nice, but it should solve your call lag problems, among other things.

jmorton10 05-17-2010 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodbac (Post 1757447)
If I had to type a tenth as many emails and texts as you say you do on a freaking iPad, I'd hang myself.

To say nothing of dragging that ridiculous thing around with me everywhere...

ROTFL, I agree 100%.

~John

QMeli907 05-17-2010 06:43 PM

Thread should be "Most TP2's suck". Some are decent, but the crap refurbs get annoying

kaos 05-17-2010 06:48 PM

Quote:

yo same thing for me on call at least 6 to 8 times a month. I need my phone to work. currently i am on sprint running plutonium 6.5.x I gotta say from stock to running mightys my own energys. and like almost all made on here for cdma. vins is best my phones every run. So unlock that shit . then task 29 then flash a custom. If you need a hand or a walk through ill help ya. i got my install files all ready on my sd. i could copy for ya and rapid em .holla at me in a pm.

AndroidTroll 05-17-2010 08:32 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

Quote:

Originally Posted by revaaron

Ipad is actually very cool. Too bad its locked down with apple restrictions.Oh... and expensive keyboard less laptop with no cd bay. hehe