PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2010, 03:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

ppcgpirate is keeping up the good workppcgpirate is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Samsung Galaxy S Display vs. Iphone 4 Display

photos here,

http://www.engadget.com/photos/iphon...play-face-off/

pixel wise (read zoomed in), the super amoled with pentile matrix tech loses big here. the iphone display pwns it. text is sharper & more clearer, color is more accurate closer up, etc. but from a regular usage view, both are pretty even, the super amoled display has better black level but the iphone display is brighter.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:30 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Samsung Galaxy S Display vs. Iphone 4 Display

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcgpirate View Post
photos here,

http://www.engadget.com/photos/iphon...play-face-off/

pixel wise (read zoomed in), the super amoled with pentile matrix tech loses big here. the iphone display pwns it. text is sharper & more clearer, color is more accurate closer up, etc. but from a regular usage view, both are pretty even, the super amoled display has better black level but the iphone display is brighter.
To note this article goes into the specifics of the display...aka if you use the device side by side you won't notice a difference.. aside from retina having a higher resolution.

Also its not exactly brighter..it only shows that the white is brighter..which is to be expected...by how AMOLED works....

Obviously when you zoom in, the device that has the more pixels per inch will look best...but super amoled also uses up less energy while giving equal view..so I'd still say its a win for super amoled...but not by a big margin of course.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 06-24-2010, 04:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

nvmyc is keeping up the good worknvmyc is keeping up the good work

and this reason alone makes you want to own it?....besides the screen it's just repackaged crap.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:46 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvmyc View Post
and this reason alone makes you want to own it?....besides the screen it's just repackaged crap.
What is?
Old 06-24-2010, 05:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

nvmyc is keeping up the good worknvmyc is keeping up the good work

the iphone 4....what is actually new? the screen? yes, the interface? Nope, the multitasking? Yeah but WTF...shouldn't this been incorporated a long time ago? Same crappy network, same repackaged phone that is at the Mercy of the Gods of Apple. FWIW, this phone blows.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

ppcgpirate is keeping up the good workppcgpirate is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
To note this article goes into the specifics of the display...aka if you use the device side by side you won't notice a difference.. aside from retina having a higher resolution.

Also its not exactly brighter..it only shows that the white is brighter..which is to be expected...by how AMOLED works....

Obviously when you zoom in, the device that has the more pixels per inch will look best...but super amoled also uses up less energy while giving equal view..so I'd still say its a win for super amoled...but not by a big margin of course.

I agree, but I don't think its a clear win for super amoled. If they just used a traditional RGB subpixel matrix instead of Pentile matrix (which alternates 2x sized red blue pixels), it would have had better resolution. Samsung can say it's a 800x480 display but we all know that's a lie. it doesn't have anywhere as many pixels as that, roughly 33% less because of the configuration.

I know i'm being nit-picky but why go with super amoled (awesome tech) and screw over the pixel count? you can see in the photos how the white text has blue & red color bleeding because those pixels are twice the size of the green one. this is what irks me. if you're going to make a baller phone, do it right and make every aspect of it baller.

....i would probably still get this phone for sprint though.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:25 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcgpirate View Post
I agree, but I don't think its a clear win for super amoled. If they just used a traditional RGB subpixel matrix instead of Pentile matrix (which alternates 2x sized red blue pixels), it would have had better resolution. Samsung can say it's a 800x480 display but we all know that's a lie. it doesn't have anywhere as many pixels as that, roughly 33% less because of the configuration.

I know i'm being nit-picky but why go with super amoled (awesome tech) and screw over the pixel count? you can see in the photos how the white text has blue & red color bleeding because those pixels are twice the size of the green one. this is what irks me. if you're going to make a baller phone, do it right and make every aspect of it baller.

....i would probably still get this phone for sprint though.

Well it boils down to this.. Resistive Screens are actually better then Capacitive screens...but why do ppl want the Capacitive screens?

The human eye can distinguish green better then any other color...so from perceptual you would see it better then what it actually is...

Also it uses less energy this way...

And lastly I'm nto sure about the RED but in OLED blue runs out faster..so if you see a tint of blue...it will disapear with use...
Old 06-24-2010, 09:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

The Sapient is keeping up the good workThe Sapient is keeping up the good work

It should be noted that the Galaxy S has a better screen size and aspect ratio. Despite the handsets being close to the same size, the Galaxy has significantly more real estate to work with.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:50 PM
Knowledge Is True Opinion
Pocket PC: iPhone 4S
Carrier: Vzw

Carla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Carla

Moved to Phone Comparison
Old 06-25-2010, 12:30 AM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaDarla View Post
Moved to Phone Comparison
You just single handily removed over 10% of the Galaxy S forum ..lol

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison