PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 800w
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2009, 04:58 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Treo 800w
Carrier: Sprint

dcolpi is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone using Wherigo?

Ok, so I found this free app called Wherigo (http://www.wherigo.com/). It looks like a pretty cool way to make a game out of your GPS. Supposedly the Palm Treo 800w meets all the requirements (and supposedly it has been tested on the Treo 700w). However, when I run this it doesn't seem to have found my GPS device (yes I do have it on and not in 911 mode), and I confirmed my GPS is working as my other GPS apps all work. I am also not trying to run a different GPS app at the same time.

The error it gives is:

An Error occured trying to start the GPS device. No GPS device could be found matching the requested "NMEA-0183" protocol. Please check to make sure PGS devices are powered on and paired via the Bluetooth Manager.

Then it asks me if I want to configure my GPS device. If I choose yes, it gives me the following options:

Auto Detect GPS (which is selected currently)
A drop down list for the Comm Port (listing options of COM0 - COM9)

I am assuming that the 800w's GPS is too fancy. Is anyone using this app? If not does anyone know the standard com port for the GPS?

Thanks,
dcolpi
Old 03-01-2009, 04:17 AM
LMG - GEEK, VIP!!!
Pocket PC: HTC TP Pro 2 (From HTC Touch Diamond)

lawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to lawmangrant Send a message via MSN to lawmangrant Send a message via Yahoo to lawmangrant Send a message via Skype™ to lawmangrant
Re: Anyone using Wherigo?

Never heard of this app.
Is this like GeoCaching? Or GeoStalking..LOL
PLAN:
Everything450, w/ unlimited mobile to mobile[B]

Need Dropbox? Use my referral here!
Old 03-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff

If you are a handheld Garmin user, it may be on the GPS - it is on the Colorado series GPS units. The setup is probably meant to use the external GPS settings, COMM 4, 4800 for the baud. As a note, my 800W had problems using the external GPS settings. A bit of reading will tell you about applications that assist by speeding up connection time. The Touch Pro (Sprint) works well with these applications.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:58 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Treo 800w
Threadstarter

dcolpi is a n00b

Ok,

With some help from a few folks, I was able to get Whereigo working on my Palm Treo 800w!

For those of you who want to play this too, here is what you do...

• Download the cab (http://www.wherigo.com/).
  • Open up the program (you might get a GPS error, ignore it)
  • Immediately click on menu->settings
  • unselect "autodetect gps"
  • choose com1
  • click ok
  • You will be given an error about how you must configure the speed. click ok and press down (you can't really see the speed drop down, doing this just selects a random value).
  • click ok. You might get an error... ignore it.
  • Exit wherigo
  • dock your treo and pull the file wigconfig.config file in you Treo's \Program Files\Groundspeak\Wherigo\Player folder, and place it on your computer somewhere (desktop, temp folder, wherever)
  • Open up this file on your computer with notepad and make the following changes (or confirm these settings... the most important is the CommPort... ignore all other lines):
<add key="AutoDetectGps" value="False" />
<add key="BaudRate" value="4800" />
<add key="CommPort" value="GPD1:" />
  • Save it and copy it back to your Treo, overwriting the origional file.
  • Untether from your PC.
  • Start up whereigo.
You should be good to go. It might take a minute to aquire a GPS signal, but it should work.

Hope this helps

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 800w