PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 06:30 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

Donatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Donatom3 Send a message via MSN to Donatom3 Send a message via Yahoo to Donatom3
Re: WebOS 1.0.4 just released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybonz View Post
If they had, at the same time, released a method to install apps, other than one that financially benefitted Palm, I would be fine with it.
Very true, all we have is statements that they will allow apps to be sideloaded outside of the app store, but no method of how this actually happens.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:33 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

Drybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatom3 View Post
Very true, all we have is statements that they will allow apps to be sideloaded outside of the app store, but no method of how this actually happens.
Yeah... they presented this like they were going to be wide open to 3rd party development, but we are just getting delays and lockouts.

They are gonna have to throw us a bone pretty soon.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:37 PM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

Donatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Donatom3 Send a message via MSN to Donatom3 Send a message via Yahoo to Donatom3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybonz View Post
Yeah... they presented this like they were going to be wide open to 3rd party development, but we are just getting delays and lockouts.

They are gonna have to throw us a bone pretty soon.

Well anyone who donloaded the "leaked" SDK can sideload any app they want or make.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:59 PM
VIP Member

Drybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Well anyone who donloaded the "leaked" SDK can sideload any app they want or make.
Things that make you go... hmmm.

*edit* The SDK "leaks" 2 days before they shut down the email install method. Maybe that was them throwing us a bone.

Last edited by Drybonz; 06-29-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:03 PM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

Yeah that's why I put "leaked" in quotes. May be coincidence, may not. Who knows, but atleast you have options, and they closed their security opening.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:11 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Yeah that's why I put "leaked" in quotes. May be coincidence, may not. Who knows, but atleast you have options, and they closed their security opening.
Ok, you talked me down... I'm still irritated over the run-around I got at the Sprint store today which was so absurd and over the top I won't even begin to rehash the whole thing, so I'm probably a little reactive.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:35 PM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

I know it's only Monday, but sounds like someone should go home have a little drink and relax out on the balcony/porch/patio.

EDIT: In other good news the Mac version of the Pre SDK was just "leaked".

Last edited by Donatom3; 06-29-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre/Touch Diamond

scrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularscrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularscrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularscrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

i can understand about being upset about losing the ability to download apps via email links, but i think i would be more upset if that channel was ever exploited in such a way as to wreck my device. pretty much all the homebrewers agreed that this method was a security issue and were waiting for it to be patched. and from the way it sounds, it looks like palm has been pretty active in communicating with the homebrewers in their IRC channel, so i still have faith that they're going to be very helpful to third party developers.

sorry...i was a garnetOS fanboy before becoming a WM fanboy before becoming a webOS fanboy.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:50 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: a Pre-tty amazing phone
Carrier: Sprizzle

kanesis is just getting started

Honestly guys "where theres a code there is a way". eveything written in code can be decoded and broken into. It takes time and the right MOFO to do it. virus=antivirus, Ps2=ps2emulator, WM=ppcgeeks, wedos=Linux nerd

Phone hasnt been out for a full month yet Simmer down Brown cow Simmer down

" looks like someone has a case of the mondays" LMAO

just found this dont know if it has already been posted but im sure someone will let me know.

http://www.precentral.net/right-now-...l-homebrew-app

Last edited by kanesis; 07-01-2009 at 05:39 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:49 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Mogul --> Touch Pro(Running PhantomRom)

GREY.FOXX is keeping up the good workGREY.FOXX is keeping up the good workGREY.FOXX is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to GREY.FOXX Send a message via Skype™ to GREY.FOXX

So let me get this straight, before this update I could of said I'm sending you this cool homebrew app to your e-mail, download it straight to the Pre. When that person download it, I could of hack there Pre if I actually reeled them in with the BS Homebrew app and sent something to mess up there Pre?

If so I can see why they did it, to prevent potential hackers but then again the bad side is we would like that feature for some 3rd party stuff.

PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre