PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 11:07 PM
domo arigato mr roboto
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint since Feb 11, 2002
Threadstarter

elephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Looks Like HP To The Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajac View Post
they could have gained a lot.. they are talking about making thier own OS why not use a good one and make it better. Design HTC sense UI around web o/s and it could have been AWESOME
That is a true statement, you know how the technology community is though... we'd always refer to it as WebOS no matter what changes HTC would make to it... it would be WebOS running Sense UI

Obviously there was something HTC wasn't interested in or they would have bought it, I never really like anything that Palm released especially their Palm software...
I stayed away from Palm Pilots etc... only had a Treo 700WX because that's what my employer provided at one time

I'm sure HP will do well with the Palm stuff they bought, imagine now an HP phone!
Old 04-29-2010, 02:13 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Bell

omnicronx knows their stuffomnicronx knows their stuffomnicronx knows their stuffomnicronx knows their stuffomnicronx knows their stuffomnicronx knows their stuff

Quote:
the issue was palm didn't give sufficient hardware specs to compensate.
Huh? Its has essentially the same specs as the iPhone 3GS and the Moto Droid.. so I'm not too sure what you are talking about..
Quote:
it's sorta like our android phones, with the stock rom it's slow. but load a custom rom and the thing flies. neither the pixi or the pre have the ability to have custom roms at all, that needs to change.
I disagree, if custom roms sold phones to the masses, then WinMo would not be in the position it is today. People like you and me that like to flash their phones are them minority not the majority.. There are also custom WebOS kernels and such which is pretty much what you are doing when you are flashing your android devices..

Quote:
I've heard of many people leaving WebOS devices not because of the OS but because of the hardware. In my opinion WebOS is superior to any other mobile OS but Palm did not market it as well as other manufacturers.
I agree, I know people that are on their 3rd, 4th pre.. they had some major quality issues that were never widely published. They also didnt have a proper SDK released for far too long. It was markteted as a consumer device, and for the majority of people interested in such a device, lack of apps meant lack of interest, plain and simple.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:20 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

dsshap is a n00b

HP is only good for their printers. Their computers have one of the highest failure rates as far as hardware. If they work with the Webos and open it up to other phone manufactures, than they have something.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:24 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung epic + Samsung galaxy Tab
Carrier: sprint

ajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsshap View Post
HP is only good for their printers. Their computers have one of the highest failure rates as far as hardware. If they work with the Webos and open it up to other phone manufactures, than they have something.
and I've never had a single issue with an hp laptop. Now acer yes gateway yes but the 3 hp's ive owned all 3 still work. and one is an old p133mmx lol
Old 05-07-2010, 12:08 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

dsshap is a n00b

I like the look of an HP laptop. Unfortunately I looked it up and they do have the highest failure rate. Gateway and acer have pretty much the same failure rate as the HP. surprisingly Toshiba has one of the best ratings. I've never owned an HP but we use them at work and they go down all the time. (Hardware related) this website gives info on a legitimate study on laptops (Even though the site isn't too credible the study is all over the web).
http://ahtim.com/which-laptop-brand-the-best/
Old 05-07-2010, 01:39 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
I like the look of an HP laptop. Unfortunately I looked it up and they do have the highest failure rate. Gateway and acer have pretty much the same failure rate as the HP. surprisingly Toshiba has one of the best ratings. I've never owned an HP but we use them at work and they go down all the time. (Hardware related) this website gives info on a legitimate study on laptops (Even though the site isn't too credible the study is all over the web).
http://ahtim.com/which-laptop-brand-the-best/
The reasons for the fail-rates is actually Nvidia's fault...their motherboards has serious issues and overheats and etc..but HP makes it worse though...(a long side other manufacturers)...what they do is this, they purposely tweak the fans to beyond their limit so that the pc works until your warranty expires and then dies.

I bought a HP laptop for a friend and 1 month later for myself. Afte 1 year and 3 month my friends pc stops turning on. I'm like ok that sucks..oh well...exactly 1 month later my laptop stops turning on...FML

Nvidia also pays $$$ if the manufacturers give the the faulty motherboards back to them (this is so they continue using their stuff)

So I'm not to happy with Nvidia and HP...mostly HP at the moment..So I probably won't be buying Nvidia for 5 years and HP for 10 years min.

I got an ASUS G73jh with ati 5870 recently and I could not be happier...my friend had an old Asus with an ATI and it works cool and years after..

But as far as the deal goes, HP couldn't wait cause they need a product out ASAP..I am actually surprised why Dell and HP are taking their sweet time in these markets...they should have been on top of it ages ago...but I guess in large corporations it takes years to make a market strategy as you call it..sigh.. But now they realized they are behind and ate palm quickly to get products out the door ASAP mostly considering Dell is in on the game as well.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)

Last edited by gTen; 05-07-2010 at 01:48 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:10 AM
domo arigato mr roboto
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint since Feb 11, 2002
Threadstarter

elephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
[COLOR=black] surprisingly Toshiba has one of the best ratings
No surprise here, I've always thought Toshiba Satellite laptops have always been top notch... now their Tecra is in a different category.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:43 PM
In the state of confusion
Pocket PC: EVO ONE(M7), Galaxy S4
Carrier: Sprint

sanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to sanmanc Send a message via MSN to sanmanc Send a message via Yahoo to sanmanc

I have never been a fan of HP unless it was their printers. We used to use iPaqs at work and they worked great unless they were dropped. Then calling tech support was a challenge in itself and I found myself constantly having to argue with them even on simple issues. Maybe things will change with this acquisition.

Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre