PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D & (Girl's) HTC Inspire "4G"
Carrier: Sprint

jbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Windows Mobile 6.5 Review...

all i have to say is what I mentioned months ago when 6.5 started leaking and engadget called it dead on. the only major upgrade is Titanium but most people won't even see it because of TouchFlo / TouchWiz / etc from the manufacturers will be there by default and they work better anyway

nice effort MS but wasted
I wonder how much quicker we'd have WinMo 7 if they had taken all the resources they put into 6.5 / 6.5.1 and put them towards 7
Old 10-06-2009, 11:58 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

nemoid is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnemoid is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnemoid is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbearamus View Post
all i have to say is what I mentioned months ago when 6.5 started leaking and engadget called it dead on. the only major upgrade is Titanium but most people won't even see it because of TouchFlo / TouchWiz / etc from the manufacturers will be there by default and they work better anyway

nice effort MS but wasted
I wonder how much quicker we'd have WinMo 7 if they had taken all the resources they put into 6.5 / 6.5.1 and put them towards 7
That's what I've been saying. I'm gonna say that WM7 is going to STRONGLY resemble the ZuneHD interface.

I bet they're implementing ideas for WM7 into the Zune and 6.5.x to see how people respond to them, that way they can decide to finally implement them into WM7
Old 10-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoid View Post
^ who said we don't like WM? We obviously do, that's why we're all here. And I'd say 6.5.1 > 6.5. I originally didn't like it but eventually got used to it and couldn't imagine going back to 6.5.

All we're saying is that MS is falling behind the curve, and they're falling fast. They're running out of time to salvage their OS and we're pointing it out.

And clearly the "core" is outdated and is a huge problem, otherwise handset manufacturers (HTC, Sony, etc) wouldn't be busting their *** putting out a software overlay so the users of the phone never have to even deal with WM.

I get your point, and in some ways I agree with it, but 6.5 is still imo the best os out there, the only other os you could say is better is android, and thats still preference. So I don't see how MS is "falling fast" when wm7 will give it the surge it needs at just the right time. We have to trust that microsoft knows what its doing and has enough business sense to do the right thing here. I am just as anxious as the rest to see wm7 but there aren't even any phones out that can support it yet hardware-wise, so when it does come out it will be in front of the curve by leaps and bounds.

we knew the drawbacks of 6.5 when we started flashing long ago, and I'm glad the manufacturers add their own ui to it because I don't want everyone using teh same titanium ui that I use anyways.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbearamus View Post
they have a completely different team working on wm7 than they do working on 6.5 and 6.5.1, and bill gates isn't short on $ to hire the necessary developers needed. So I doubt it would get here any faster.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:05 PM
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta

jbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
wow, serious haterade.

I can't believe I'm the only one who actually likes WM on these forums
I like WM. I just think MS has made some mistakes. I jumped to the pre b/c it cost me virtually nothing and I was interested in WebOS, turns out I hate. Just last week I asked my brother if he wanted to trade me his HTC TP1 for my Pre

I miss you WM
Old 10-06-2009, 12:08 PM
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta

Quote:
they have a completely different team working on wm7 than they do working on 6.5 and 6.5.1, and bill gates isn't short on $ to hire the necessary developers needed. So I doubt it would get here any faster.
I understand teams and divisions and having enough money to throw around, I also understand diminishing returns (b/c when you get too many people, you just start tripping) but depending on what tasks the 6.5 team could've been doing, it would've contributed to 7, just depends on what exactly MS Labs has been up to
Old 10-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Regular 'Geeker

nemoid is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnemoid is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnemoid is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
I get your point, and in some ways I agree with it, but 6.5 is still imo the best os out there, the only other os you could say is better is android, and thats still preference. So I don't see how MS is "falling fast" when wm7 will give it the surge it needs at just the right time. We have to trust that microsoft knows what its doing and has enough business sense to do the right thing here. I am just as anxious as the rest to see wm7 but there aren't even any phones out that can support it yet hardware-wise, so when it does come out it will be in front of the curve by leaps and bounds.

we knew the drawbacks of 6.5 when we started flashing long ago, and I'm glad the manufacturers add their own ui to it because I don't want everyone using teh same titanium ui that I use anyways.
You can't see how it's falling fast?

It JUST released an app store. And JUST for 6.5 devices (how many are "officially" out yet? 2?), 6.0/6.1 doesn't get it until November, I believe. No OTA/downloadable OS updating (the majority of users don't flash). They're JUST starting to move away from a stylus-centric input based touch screen. HTC is essentially the only manufacturer that OEMs WM. Almost everyone else has stopped producing WM based phones. Just to name a few.

Additionally, WM is down to a 9% marketshare (which is dropping every single quarter)

By the time Win7 is released (if it stays on target) in late 2010, the iPhone will have a three year advantage over it, Android will have a 2 year advantage over it, BB has an long advantage over it, and even WebOS will have well over a year advantage over it.

The only advantage that MS has with WM7, is that they can learn from the other 4's mistakes. That's it.

WM7 has to be perfect, otherwise it will fail.

Last edited by nemoid; 10-06-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:36 PM
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoid View Post
You can't see how it's falling fast?

HTC is essentially the only manufacturer that OEMs WM. Almost everyone else has stopped producing WM based phones. Just to name a few.

The only advantage that MS has with WM7, is that they can learn from the other 4's mistakes. That's it.

WM7 has to be perfect, otherwise it will fail.
i agree with a lot of what you said, particularly, MS's only chance is if they can improve where the others dropped the ball
but i do want to point out that HTC isn't the only manufacturer left. Samsung's highest end handsets (Omnia II) continue to use WM (although we'll see what happens with the Instinct Q) and LG announced that they'd have like 15 or 20 smartphones launch in 2010 all running windows mobile and then there's Toshiba's TG01, which seemed like they came out of left field for smart phones, with the first snapdragon device on the market and their platform? windows mobile; there's also a couple of rather powerful Acer's out there
so yeah, theres support for WinMo but Windows Phone better come to the market swinging a really big bat or MS's mobile division is in trouble

Last edited by jbearamus; 10-06-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:38 PM
The EVO Guru
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

brownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

I actually have to agree with nemoid on this one. WinMo is definitely falling by the wayside. And if you notice, many of the developers that come out with new applications now come out with winmo apps far behind Android or Iphone... IF they even develop it at all. Dont get me wrong, I still like winmo mainly for its flexibility, ,but with the way android is gaining steam I look for it to be the major player in the handset market within the next couple of years.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Regular 'Geeker

jbearamus, do those manufacturers produce as many WM phones as HTC? I'm not sure, it'd be interesting to see the numbers. I understand that WM is pretty dominate in Asia.

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives