PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 11:37 AM
VIP Droid
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

Genjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Genjinaro
Re: Windows Mobile 7 closer than expected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautica2450 View Post
i tend to think they'll force wm7 to be used by newer hardware. alot of the timelines seem to point to that as a likelihood.
Yeah thats what I was thinking...
Old 08-17-2009, 04:09 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

frazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautica2450 View Post
i tend to think they'll force wm7 to be used by newer hardware. alot of the timelines seem to point to that as a likelihood.
I agree. I remember the interview with the Microsoft rep showing Windows Mobile 6.5 where he stated Windows Mobile 6.5 and Windows Mobile 7 will co-exist in the market. The Windows Mobile 6.5 offerings will be the "basic" Windows Mobile offerings and the Windows Mobile 7 offerings will be the "premium" experience. He stated that was the reason for the change to "Windows Phone" branding.

If that is true I doubt we will see upgrades coming for 7 at all. Bits of it might make it into cooked ROMs, but I'm not sure that will happen either. Since the rumors lean toward Windows Mobile 7 being based on the newer Windows CE 6 I'm sure we can expect a lot of driver level stuff to need reworking. Not something cooks will be able to pull off since we don't have the driver sources in the public eye.
Free Disposable Email: MyTrashMail
Old 08-17-2009, 04:41 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and every single phone verizon had...
Carrier: Verizon

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP

after seeing the htc leo I can definitely say htc is definitely moving in a good direction toward windows phone 7...though I wonder about legacy devices...hm
Old 08-17-2009, 04:50 PM
Cheers! ^^
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PRO 2

TnA-2xXtReM knows their stuffTnA-2xXtReM knows their stuffTnA-2xXtReM knows their stuffTnA-2xXtReM knows their stuffTnA-2xXtReM knows their stuffTnA-2xXtReM knows their stuffTnA-2xXtReM knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to TnA-2xXtReM Send a message via Yahoo to TnA-2xXtReM

Haha, we always want the next best thing when it comes to technology. To me, waiting is not an option xD

Temporary selling Sprint SERO 500 plans for $80.

The SERO 500 plan is only $30 a month and it gives you: 500 minutes monthly, unlimited data, unlimited text, unlimited picture mail, nights and weekend from 7PM to 7AM, and more!

Old 08-17-2009, 04:57 PM
VIP Member

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP

it does give waiting a more easier option but I also may just buy both but seeing the specs the price range may be outrageous
and if the htc leo is indicative of the future of htc, it is very VERY bright
its important I bring up the leo now that udk has a rom of the leo running on the topaz because we see a lot of good instances and packages that echo that yes there is a capacitive touch screen device to be released that may squeeze in the windows phone 7 domain. But it is a bit awkward to do that without taking into consideration touch pro 2 either...I suppose it is all a game
Old 08-17-2009, 05:51 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
I think tpro 2 will get the windows mobile 7 upgrade
htc has literally flagshipped as well as stated the new iteration was upgradable to windows 7
Nope. Any device with MSM-7xxx won't get the upgrade. Only Snapdragon/Tegra devices for WM7 and we have this info on pretty solid grounds. The HTC Star and Superstar are the only WM7 devices from HTC that we know of right now.

People have to understand WM7 is a complete re-write of the kernal and base OS. MS is aiming for high-end hardware, including multiple sensors, gyroscope, compass and some advanced aGPS technology. Dinky TP2's might have a tough time handling just the memory requirements, let alone the processor.

The reason WM6.5 and WM7 will co-exist is because the differences in hardware requirements will be quite dramatic between the two, so WM6.5 will become the "budget" OS.

As to this article, I wouldn't make too much out of it. We've known some of the hardware specs for quite some time and companies like Qualcomm, etc. are certainly working closely with MS to get their hardware right. And yeah, since the OS is scheduled for release in early/mid 2010, you can bet it is pretty far along in development!

More can found here: http://tinyurl.com/qo7jh6
Old 08-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

frazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
Nope. Any device with MSM-7xxx won't get the upgrade. Only Snapdragon/Tegra devices for WM7 and we have this info on pretty solid grounds. The HTC Star and Superstar are the only WM7 devices from HTC that we know of right now.

People have to understand WM7 is a complete re-write of the kernal and base OS. MS is aiming for high-end hardware, including multiple sensors, gyroscope, compass and some advanced aGPS technology. Dinky TP2's might have a tough time handling just the memory requirements, let alone the processor.

The reason WM6.5 and WM7 will co-exist is because the differences in hardware requirements will be quite dramatic between the two, so WM6.5 will become the "budget" OS.

As to this article, I wouldn't make too much out of it. We've known some of the hardware specs for quite some time and companies like Qualcomm, etc. are certainly working closely with MS to get their hardware right. And yeah, since the OS is scheduled for release in early/mid 2010, you can bet it is pretty far along in development!

More can found here: http://tinyurl.com/qo7jh6
Thanks for the well written article. I plan to wait for the Windows Mobile 7 stuff to shake out before I drop any money on a new device.

No need to replace my phone every year so I can work with it long enough to get some real hardware improvements and a nice Windows Mobile 7 as well.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:47 PM
VIP Member

huge bump
windows mobile 7 close? uhm not likely more like Q4 2010 will be the official launch - much akin to wm 6.5 being leaked excessively throughout the earlier part of this year

http://twitter.com/pocketnowtweets
Old 08-20-2009, 12:42 AM
VIP Droid
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC EVO 3D

Genjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuff
Send a message via Skype™ to Genjinaro

Yeah, my faith in Windows Mobile dropped, what the hell do they expect to happen over a year way, in cellphone years?

Q2 2010 = excellent, Q4 2010 = why bother?
Old 08-20-2009, 01:24 AM
MikeElGiga23

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genjinaro View Post
Yeah, my faith in Windows Mobile dropped, what the hell do they expect to happen over a year way, in cellphone years?

Q2 2010 = excellent, Q4 2010 = why bother?
Sadly agree with this.

after all, android, webOS, and OSX mobile will be updated a lot by then so its not clear cut to assume it will blow everybody out of the water (m$ isn't famous for this either...)

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives