PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2009, 08:39 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2 CDMA
Carrier: Alltel (Verizon)

codybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: WM7 On Track, Spring 2010 Release likely!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
I don't call bs on this but I am intrigued considering all the reports
the reports so far
wm 6.5 released to manufacturers last spring with a possibility that this may not be the last of this series
the images that robin zhu composed may or may not be windows mobile 7
and overall windows mobile 7 still seems to be a bit hush hush...intrigued but also very skeptical of a spring 2010 release. I'd be surprised if that were true though
Different teams are working on the different ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosdaman View Post
LMAO exactly....they are working so hard on 6.5 when WM 7 is right around the corner?? lol, makes no sense
see above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike20pr View Post
it will be sad when the Pro2, Omnia2, TG01, users realize they hit a dead end....

who knows? maybe the cooks might get it running on them unless its gonna be a wild goose chase like the Android port where even the kaiser users are still waiting for a complete port...
actually if you even watched the tp2 official release vid of it in the mobile conference they have stated that the TP2 WILL get the wm7 upgrade when it comes out. I don't understand where everyone is saying that it will not when it was stated by the official people a few times back a few months ago....

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
how do you know the tp2 (and diamond2 as well) wont be compatible with wm7?
they will be. atleast the TP2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibby50 View Post
wm6.5 and wm7 have two completely different design teams.
exactly, people can't grasp that idea for some reason. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer2008 View Post
you don't know that, im sure wm7 will be ported to older phones just as 6.5 was.
maybe, maybe not.
if it does, you certainly will not get the dual touch screen capabilities as that is hardware dependent. And whatever other hardware dependent items will be in wm7 you won't be able to have either.

More than likely the software will be ported over first.
Then whenever a brave soldier decides to take upon the gargantuan task of porting over the whole brand new OS, then it will be done.
But I would assume it would only be the software type stuff that gets ported over for quite a while.

Quote:
Ok, remember this guys, the official release will for WM7 will be Spring 2010, lol....when do you think the leaks will start? Alot earlier

P.S. They already said that all devices released in 2009 will not be compatible with WM& and they even release the requirements for WM7, and 1 of which is missing is a QualComm Processor....So the only device that's has a chance for the year 2009 is HTC SuperStar with the new nVidia Processor
WAIT!!! Where did they state that it will not be compatible??!!??!!
They have stated a few times that the TP2 will have a wm7 upgrade when wm7 is released......
Old 07-02-2009, 11:31 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

Whosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via AIM to Whosdaman Send a message via MSN to Whosdaman Send a message via Yahoo to Whosdaman Send a message via Skype™ to Whosdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by codybear View Post

see above.

actually if you even watched the tp2 official release vid of it in the mobile conference they have stated that the TP2 WILL get the wm7 upgrade when it comes out. I don't understand where everyone is saying that it will not when it was stated by the official people a few times back a few months ago....

they will be. atleast the TP2.

exactly, people can't grasp that idea for some reason. lol.

maybe, maybe not.
if it does, you certainly will not get the dual touch screen capabilities as that is hardware dependent. And whatever other hardware dependent items will be in wm7 you won't be able to have either.

More than likely the software will be ported over first.
Then whenever a brave soldier decides to take upon the gargantuan task of porting over the whole brand new OS, then it will be done.
But I would assume it would only be the software type stuff that gets ported over for quite a while.

WAIT!!! Where did they state that it will not be compatible??!!??!!
They have stated a few times that the TP2 will have a wm7 upgrade when wm7 is released......
Where have they stated that the tpro2 will have an WM7 upgrade?

The requirements for a device to run WM7 is:

WM7 Chassis 1 Specification

Core requirements:
Processor: ARM v6+, L2 Cache, VFP, Open GL ES 2.0 graphics HW (QCOM 8k, Nvidia AP15/16* and TI 3430 all meet spec)
Memory: 256MB+ DRAM, 1G+ Flash (at least 512MB fast flash – 5MB/s unbuffered read @4K block size)
Display: WVGA (800×480) or FWVGA (854×480) 3.5” or greater diagonal
Touch: Multi-touch required
Battery: Sufficient to meet Days of Use LTK requirements.
Controls: Start, Back, Send and End are required (soft controls allowed as long as they are always present).

Peripherals:
Camera: 3MP+, flash optional, 2nd camera optional (VGA resolution sufficient)
GPS: aGPS required
Sensors required: Light Sensor, Compass (3 axis, 5 degrees, 100 Hz sample rate), Accelerometer (3 axis, 2mg resolution, 100 Hz sample rate)
USB: High speed required, 20 MB/s transfer rate.
BlueTooth: BT2.1 required, must run MSFT BT stack, CSR BlueCore6 or later recommended.
Wi-Fi: 802.11B/G required, must run MSFT Native Wi-Fi stack, Atheros 6002 or Broadcomm 4325 recommended.
Connectors: Micro USB and 3.5mm Audio required.

Options:
FM tuner: If tuner HW is present it will be detected and supported by the Media application.
Haptics
SD Card (Micro SD recommended)
DPAD, qwerty or 12/20 key keyboards all optional

(EDIT: I didn't know what QCOM was, but it requires a QualComm 8K processor, tpro2 will have a 7600a)

Also where does it say there are 2 totally different teams working on WM7 and 6.5, cause no one has posted a source or a confirmation of this at all...hell people have even said 6.5 is being incorporated into wm7

Last edited by Whosdaman; 07-02-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:33 AM
Jbawireless.com
Pocket PC: Htc EVO/touch Pro 2
Carrier: sprint

Merdinh can't get a higher reputation levelMerdinh can't get a higher reputation levelMerdinh can't get a higher reputation levelMerdinh can't get a higher reputation levelMerdinh can't get a higher reputation levelMerdinh can't get a higher reputation levelMerdinh can't get a higher reputation levelMerdinh can't get a higher reputation levelMerdinh can't get a higher reputation levelMerdinh can't get a higher reputation levelMerdinh can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to Merdinh

Quote:

Core requirements:
Processor: ARM v6+, L2 Cache, VFP, Open GL ES 2.0 graphics HW (QCOM 8k, Nvidia AP15/16* and TI 3430 all meet spec)
Memory: 256MB+ DRAM, 1G+ Flash (at least 512MB fast flash – 5MB/s unbuffered read @4K block size)
Controls: Start, Back, Send and End are required (soft controls allowed as long as they are always present).

Peripherals:
Sensors required: Light Sensor, Compass (3 axis, 5 degrees, 100 Hz sample rate), Accelerometer (3 axis, 2mg resolution, 100 Hz sample rate)
BlueTooth: BT2.1 required, must run MSFT BT stack, CSR BlueCore6 or later recommended.
Wi-Fi: 802.11B/G required, must run MSFT Native Wi-Fi stack, Atheros 6002 or Broadcomm 4325 recommended.

Options:
FM tuner: If tuner HW is present it will be detected and supported by the Media application.
Haptics

(EDIT: I didn't know what QCOM was, but it requires a QualComm 8K processor, tpro2 will have a 7600a)

Also where does it say there are 2 totally different teams working on WM7 and 6.5, cause no one has posted a source or a confirmation of this at all...hell people have even said 6.5 is being incorporated into wm7
idk where you got this info from, but most is inaccurate, the main requirement will be any new phone now that will have the dedicated windows button on it, will be upgradable to wm7, and that comes from a buddy of mine that works for Microsoft.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:13 AM
VIP Member

codybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIP

Quote:

Core requirements:

Peripherals:

Options:
Haptics

if you watch the video of the TP2 from the mobile conference or whatever the heck its called, where the TP2 was released, the htc people confirm that microsoft said that it will have the wm7 upgrade, also, there were some reports that came out a while back when wm7 came about that all the ones released at the same time or later than the TP2, they will have a wm7 upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merdinh View Post
idk where you got this info from, but most is inaccurate, the main requirement will be any new phone now that will have the dedicated windows button on it, will be upgradable to wm7, and that comes from a buddy of mine that works for Microsoft.
never even heard of the windows button hahaha.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:52 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and every single phone verizon had...
Carrier: Verizon

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP

Quote:
yes but that has very little if anything to do with my speculation...in fact it really doesn't have anything to do with it.
Let's remember this is the same OS that has been pushed back TWICE (not once but TWICE) so yeah if there's a bit of skepticism there, its probably because of that though...do I expect there to be a windows 7 release? Sure. Do I expect it as early as spring 2010? NOPE. I expect it somewhere close to fall/winter 2010 in fact. That seems to at least make a bit of an actual projection. Just because it may be pushed back again...
Quote:
for one thing I am pretty sure he got it from the net and this is what microsoft announced was the specifications for wm 7 last year. Now regarding the start button, I heard that for wm 6.5 at several conferences showcasing 6.5, but not much for 7. I'm not calling bs, but I'll wait till I hear an official announcement, which is where daman got it from (at least at the time it was as official as it will get and is freely available and published)
Old 07-03-2009, 02:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

boomhower is becoming a great contributor

I sure hope they hit on something as I am done with them for now. I don't like 6.5 at all. I have grown tired of 6.1. The chiefs have all done a great job improvements but only so much can be done. For the time being it looks like I am defecting to BB and getting a Tour. Hopefully WM7 will be a nice improvement and I can come back next year.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:47 PM
VIP Member

Whosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via AIM to Whosdaman Send a message via MSN to Whosdaman Send a message via Yahoo to Whosdaman Send a message via Skype™ to Whosdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
yes but that has very little if anything to do with my speculation...in fact it really doesn't have anything to do with it.
Let's remember this is the same OS that has been pushed back TWICE (not once but TWICE) so yeah if there's a bit of skepticism there, its probably because of that though...do I expect there to be a windows 7 release? Sure. Do I expect it as early as spring 2010? NOPE. I expect it somewhere close to fall/winter 2010 in fact. That seems to at least make a bit of an actual projection. Just because it may be pushed back again...

for one thing I am pretty sure he got it from the net and this is what microsoft announced was the specifications for wm 7 last year. Now regarding the start button, I heard that for wm 6.5 at several conferences showcasing 6.5, but not much for 7. I'm not calling bs, but I'll wait till I hear an official announcement, which is where daman got it from (at least at the time it was as official as it will get and is freely available and published)
Yes, it's not 100% yet, but it is more like 80% correct at the least...

And the Windows Button has nothing to do with WM7....it maybe just another button, but thats it. How can a Start Menu button make a difference in whether or not WM7 can be run on a device?
Old 07-03-2009, 04:06 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
How can a Start Menu button make a difference in whether or not WM7 can be run on a device?
that's what I was wondering too.
I could have sworn I've seen a few other way old devices that have had a start menu button. I'm pretty sure they won't be able to run wm7 as they probably can't even run wm6.1/6.5 lol
Old 07-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Young-E
Pocket PC: TP2

Young_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIP

Quote:
Yes, it's not 100% yet, but it is more like 80% correct at the least...

And the Windows Button has nothing to do with WM7....it maybe just another button, but thats it. How can a Start Menu button make a difference in whether or not WM7 can be run on a device?
How do you know this??? Do you work for microsoft? How do you know that that button won't trigger something in the OS like taking you to the marketplace, or opening the start menu??? Quit talking like you have facts. None of us in here have facts. Obviously the button isn't needed but it's a requirement from microsoft. None of us know why as of yet.
Minnesota Militia/Touch Pro Division
Old 07-03-2009, 07:19 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_breedent View Post
How do you know this??? Do you work for microsoft? How do you know that that button won't trigger something in the OS like taking you to the marketplace, or opening the start menu??? Quit talking like you have facts. None of us in here have facts. Obviously the button isn't needed but it's a requirement from microsoft. None of us know why as of yet.
Wow, really? You can just go to the Programs and open up MarketPlace....and we know it opens the Start Menu...but why would WM7 require it? I mean you could probably even change where it goes to, like for the Mogul or any other device that has a button

And you talk about me talking like I have facts, I don't but I look all around the web and when everyone is reporting the same thing, then something must be up....also why you saying I don't have the facts when you are clearly saying here:

"Obviously the button isn't needed but it's a requirement from microsoft."

Hypocrite...you just stated this like a fact, but you said no one knows the facts, do you work for Microsoft?

(But this isn't an official release from Microsoft, this is just a leak and that's why I said it's not 100%)

Last edited by Whosdaman; 07-03-2009 at 07:22 PM.

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives