PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2007, 05:29 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: ToucH
Carrier: Sprint

ScandaLex is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to ScandaLex Send a message via Yahoo to ScandaLex
WOW! A 12G hdd for only $85 that can be used in mobile phones - why isnt it being done now?
Old 02-11-2007, 03:25 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung GSIII, HTC Glacier
Carrier: TMO

xarses is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The Con:

I hate to say it, but mini-hard disks arn't that great. I know the ones they put in ipod's have "good" lifespans and are "drop safe" but they die just as often. I've had a couple of usb mini-disks and they all seem to die alot quiker than my flash drives do, and working IS you tend to use the hell out of them.

on "drop safe": locking the head is only usefull as long as you dont exceed the maximum drop force, for ipod disks its usualy 4 feet of equaliviant gforce.

the other is that a mini-hard disk uses a good deal more power than flash storage. all of the usb-mini's ive had require a powered hub, where all of my flash disks are ok, with a an unpowered hub. the drain from using a hard disk on a pda phon would shoot the battery life in the foot.

ok, lets suspose that they where to put a mini-disk in a ppc, because of the power drain, the damn thing would have to powersave all of the time, you could not use it for main programs (phone rom, os, etc...) as it would take too long for the disk to wake from a powersave. so it would end up as secondary storage. not to mention the extra room it would need, as well as weight it would add to the phone.

anyway a mini-disk is not necessary, as there are now 12GB solid state flash thumb drives. no good reason not to include thoes as main memory

X

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives