PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2009, 01:22 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: moto Droid and HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

aundrea009 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Any other (former) WinMo users frustrated at lack of Droid customization?

Ok, before I start my rant, a disclaimer: I LOVE MY DROID! It's by far the fastest and best looking phone I have ever bought. But...

I know that people will tell me to be patient and to not complain, but I can't help but be frustrated at the lack of customization with my Droid.

I would love to be able to tweak the volume (make it louder) among other things and coming from WinMo and a Samsung Omnia where you could do just about any kind of hack/reg edit, it's a little frustrating.

Now, I know it has only been a month since the Droid came out and I'm trying to be patient... I am waiting, probably like the rest of you for the Droid to be rooted. I know this will probably solve all my issues.

This is my first Android device and I love the OS. I'm trying to learn everything I can (from this site and others).

Any other former WinMo users out there feeling my pain?

P.S. I ordered an HTC TP2 to have something to play with while I await the rooting of the Droid...

Android , so please be gentle with me!
Old 12-04-2009, 01:30 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

blazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: Any other (former) WinMo users frustrated at lack of Droid customization?

Nope. Volume on mine is just fine.

Right now I still have to much to learn about Android to worry about rooting. Should be interesting when it happens but I'm not in a hurry.

Follow me on mytabletlife.com
Old 12-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

aundrea009 is a n00b

Wow - first response from BlazingWolf, one of my "Omnia Heroes"! I'm honored!

Thanks for all the work you have done with the Omnia and ROMs, etc!

Can't wait to see what you will be able to do for us Droid users in the future!
Old 12-04-2009, 01:45 PM
DroidX_ZombieStomped
Pocket PC: DroidX

yearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via MSN to yearn

I picked up the Droid on Nov 6 and loved it.... for a while.
But I really started missing WM, and the closer it got to my 30 days, I was starting to panic a little.
While the Droid does what it does very well, there just wasnt much I could do other than download apps.
I also have an ipod touch and love the apps on it, and I know Android is still very young but the apps all just seemed really amateur, especially compared to the ipod touch apps.
Anyways, I ordered a Touch Pro 2 yesterday and returned my Droid.
As much as I liked it I was afraid that if I was getting bored with it after only 27 days that id never make it 2 years with it.

When I went to the VZW store yesterday they FINALLY had a TP2 to play with and it just felt better.
So its back to WM (Windows Phone) I go!

If I helped you out,Hit the THANKS
Old 12-04-2009, 02:06 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

blazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by yearn View Post
I picked up the Droid on Nov 6 and loved it.... for a while.
But I really started missing WM, and the closer it got to my 30 days, I was starting to panic a little.
While the Droid does what it does very well, there just wasnt much I could do other than download apps.
I also have an ipod touch and love the apps on it, and I know Android is still very young but the apps all just seemed really amateur, especially compared to the ipod touch apps.
Anyways, I ordered a Touch Pro 2 yesterday and returned my Droid.
As much as I liked it I was afraid that if I was getting bored with it after only 27 days that id never make it 2 years with it.

When I went to the VZW store yesterday they FINALLY had a TP2 to play with and it just felt better.
So its back to WM (Windows Phone) I go!
You missed WinMo because you couldn't tinker? Once the Droid is rooted you will be able to tinker again (well I guess you won't ).

Like WM some programs aren't always "pretty" but there is usually another that is. Since the Droid is a new screen resolution for Android developers have not had a chance to catch up yet. Given the same amount time that the ipod touch has had I'm sure there will be programs that look "pretty".

Good luck with your new device.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:55 PM
DroidX_ZombieStomped

yearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazingwolf View Post
You missed WinMo because you couldn't tinker? Once the Droid is rooted you will be able to tinker again (well I guess you won't ).

Like WM some programs aren't always "pretty" but there is usually another that is. Since the Droid is a new screen resolution for Android developers have not had a chance to catch up yet. Given the same amount time that the ipod touch has had I'm sure there will be programs that look "pretty".

Good luck with your new device.
Thanks,
I went to VZW on the 6th to get the TP2 but started playing with the Droid and talked myself into it. I shoulda stuck with my instincts to begin with,
I have no doubt Android will continue to improve.
But I figured Id stick with what I know.

P.S- I played with the Omnia ll yesterday also. Beautiful screen, but I didnt care for the OS much;
Old 12-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

aundrea009 is a n00b

Quote:
Thanks,
I went to VZW on the 6th to get the TP2 but started playing with the Droid and talked myself into it. I shoulda stuck with my instincts to begin with,
I have no doubt Android will continue to improve.
But I figured Id stick with what I know.

P.S- I played with the Omnia ll yesterday also. Beautiful screen, but I didnt care for the OS much;
I didn't really care for the Omnia 2 either. I went in and looked at it and it was extremely sluggish. (Froze while I was checking out the new Cube.) I guess since I have gotten used to the Droid, everything else seems slow.

So, how do you like your Touch Pro2? Mine arrives on Monday and I can't wait to play with it. I think it will be a great "tinker" device for me until the eagerly anticipated Droid Root.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:39 PM
DroidX_ZombieStomped

Quote:
Originally Posted by aundrea009 View Post
I didn't really care for the Omnia 2 either. I went in and looked at it and it was extremely sluggish. (Froze while I was checking out the new Cube.) I guess since I have gotten used to the Droid, everything else seems slow.

So, how do you like your Touch Pro2? Mine arrives on Monday and I can't wait to play with it. I think it will be a great "tinker" device for me until the eagerly anticipated Droid Root.
Fed Ex just dropped it off about 5 min ago, lol
Old 12-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

aundrea009 is a n00b

Quote:
Fed Ex just dropped it off about 5 min ago, lol
LOL!! Congrats! I'll bet it feels like Christmas!
Old 12-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid

Nickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuff

Had my droid for about 1 month now.
So far, i am able to everything (with installed market apps), that i could do with my old Titan (remote access, FTP, etc...)

Having said that, there are certainly a few things i am annoyed about, but not enough to really worry at this point, because i am sure they will be addresed in the future.

Lack of WAV playback is absurd. i find that the single most disappointing feature.
We all had TCMP core player back in WinMo and that thing could play anything you threw at it.. Native video and audio format diversity is severly lacking.

No fault of the phone, since there aren't as many hard buttons to begin with, but i do miss the customization i had with hardware button launch. (instant flashlight, comm center, etc...)

other than those 2 things, i can't pinpoint anything else i can't do on my droid that i could with my titan.

loving is so far. (PS - the volume on mine is plenty loud enough - and actually i am VERY impressed with the sound quality of MP3's played right through the speaker)

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid