PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2009, 04:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: DROID
Carrier: Verizon/Alltel

Midnght_J is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to Midnght_J Send a message via Yahoo to Midnght_J
Re: New to Droid, coming from WM.

How is syncing with a laptop to transfer outlook contacts and such. ?
How is browsing on it are there ie site u cant access cus of the browser?
how is the sd card used meaning can i run apps from it store music and ect?
what cant be done with the sd card?
how is watching movies and games?
are the any prog that take the place of ms office word excel ect....
Thanks i am fixing to drive down to verizon to swap my tp2 to join the Droid Revolution....
Old 12-21-2009, 05:10 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid / Omnia II
Carrier: The Dark Side

parkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on rep

The best tip I found was the to create a file in notepad and name it .nomedia without any extensions. After you do that connect your phone and mount the SD card. Copy the .nomedia file to any folder that contains media you don't want to show up by default in the various media players (i.e. not wanting ringtones to be included in the media player when playing music, or random saved images from various apps showing up in the gallery)
Why donate to one person, when you can support the site that makes it all possible instead

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:54 PM
That guy with the axe
Pocket PC: MotoDroid
Carrier: Verizon

breakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkjam View Post
The best tip I found was the to create a file in notepad and name it .nomedia without any extensions. After you do that connect your phone and mount the SD card. Copy the .nomedia file to any folder that contains media you don't want to show up by default in the various media players (i.e. not wanting ringtones to be included in the media player when playing music, or random saved images from various apps showing up in the gallery)
Just a quick note, you dont actually have to name the folder "nomedia" just adding the period in front of any folder will make it invisible to the gallerys and playlists

My primary waste of time and money http://www.cardomain.com/id/FireDiverZ28
Old 12-21-2009, 08:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Whom ever I choose.

king_tee is keeping up the good workking_tee is keeping up the good work

Answers in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnght_J View Post
How is syncing with a laptop to transfer outlook contacts and such. ?

Check out this link it will let you know how to sync your contacts to gmail so they can be synced to your phone.
http://cellphoneforums.net/motorola-...oid-2-0-a.html

How is browsing on it are there ie site u cant access cus of the browser?

All sites that i browse work fine.

how is the sd card used meaning can i run apps from it store music and ect?

Some of the apps that you download to the phone use the SD card to store cache's, data and such. It's also used for storing your movies, music, ringtones, pic's, flashing custom roms etc.

what cant be done with the SD card?

Apps to sd as of yet. Apps to SD means that instead of just downloading and running apps from the phone you would also be able to download and run them from the SD card.

how is watching movies and games?

Watching movies is pretty good no worse than any other phone, depends the quality of the encode.
As of now games pretty much suck but thats up to the developers to fix

are the any prog that take the place of ms office word excel ect....

You can open any pdf. file that's emailed to you. I forget the name of the program that's used to open it. It's a native app tho. Just test it out by emailing yourself an attachment and opening it up on your phone.

Thanks i am fixing to drive down to verizon to swap my tp2 to join the Droid Revolution....

Welcome to the Android/Droid revolution!!!!

Old 12-21-2009, 10:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: droid
Carrier: verizon wireless

filthy1 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaosinEngaged View Post
The one issue is still the ringtones. I just purchased a ringtone I wanted from the Verizon site, and they sent it right to my Droid. All i can do is click play on the file, there's no way to save it? That seems, well, totally ridiculous.

I just spent money on the file.
don't pay for ringtones just download imusic and download all the songs you want then download ringdroid and cut them down however you want to make your own personal ringtones and its all free and it will save them in the proper folder as well as offer the option to save them to a contact or default as soon as you cut them down...
Old 12-21-2009, 11:06 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

blazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff View Post
Just a quick note, you dont actually have to name the folder "nomedia" just adding the period in front of any folder will make it invisible to the gallerys and playlists
He is not talking about a folder. This trick is with a file called .nomedia inside the folder.

Follow me on mytabletlife.com
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:44 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid / Omnia II
Carrier: The Dark Side

parkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazingwolf View Post
He is not talking about a folder. This trick is with a file called .nomedia inside the folder.
Blazingwolf is exactly right. You can format any folder with a period at the beginning of the name, and they will not be recognized by the media players because they will be hidden, unfortunately it also hides it from file viewers like Astro (though you can choose to show hidden files) and normal "ls" list commands. By just placing that FILE inside the folder, the entire folder stays visible without choosing to show hidden items. The media player just ignores it.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:41 AM
That guy with the axe
Pocket PC: MotoDroid

breakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Ahhhh, very handy, I was misunderstanding what you were saying. Gotta click the thanks button now cause I didn't know about that handy trick .

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid