PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Who's got it!
I've got mine now!!! 58 61.05%
I'm getting one very soon!! 8 8.42%
Still waiting to see what the word is on it 19 20.00%
I don't want one (why are you in this forum lol) 10 10.53%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 10:20 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid
Carrier: Verizon

Windsponge is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Smile Re: So who has picked this up so far?

I got mine and am going to sell my Omnia and I Phone 3gs. This phone is what I have been wanting and for me is the best. It will only get better with updates.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:39 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: vx 6700, Touch, Samsung Omnia, Moto Droid

iclickjohn is becoming a great contributor
Re: So who has picked this up so far?

Yes, on Friday morning. entered my google account info and boom, phone loaded with everything. Still suffering a little over not knowing what's going on inside the phone. With my Omnia you could always go to the file explorer. There's probably an app for that. Just haven't a. found it and b. desperately needed it yet. I swore I wouldn't abandon WM and Omnia. Ouch. I even posted a thread on the Omnia section how there was no real good reason to abandon WM for the Droid. Now I have to figure a good way to go back over there and "eat crow".
Old 11-11-2009, 12:18 PM
MikeElGiga23

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iclickjohn View Post
Yes, on Friday morning. entered my google account info and boom, phone loaded with everything. Still suffering a little over not knowing what's going on inside the phone. With my Omnia you could always go to the file explorer. There's probably an app for that. Just haven't a. found it and b. desperately needed it yet. I swore I wouldn't abandon WM and Omnia. Ouch. I even posted a thread on the Omnia section how there was no real good reason to abandon WM for the Droid. Now I have to figure a good way to go back over there and "eat crow".
Get astro file manager. best file explorer ever.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:50 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Verizon Touch Pro 2
Carrier: VZW

ac520 is just getting started

Did the same thing as Redd
Love my TP2 but was getting tired of the lag so I picked up a Droid on Sunday. I figured I have 30 days to decide which one I wanted to keep. If I like the Droid, I sell my TP2. If I don’t like the Droid, I return it and I'm out $35.
So… after two days with the Droid I am back to my TP2. I really want to like the Droid! I LOVE the size, the navigation and the ease of use!!! And most of all I can have multiple Exchange “Corporate” accounts configured!!! That one is HUGE!
But overall it just feels restrictive to me. I just don’t feel like I have the freedom and control over the device like I have with WinMo devices.
And there are two real deal breakers for me. First is the battery life (or lack thereof). I understand that the Droid is a high performance device and I know I can disable some features to extend the performance but man, the default config BLOWS!!!
Second is the fact that I cannot access the Internet while on a call! Seriously?!?! I tried this three times from there different locations and had the same result each time. Am I doing something wrong here or is this the way it works?
Anyway… I am going to give the Droid another week but I am pretty certain I will be returning it way before my 30 days.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

gostars9 is keeping up the good workgostars9 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac520 View Post
Second is the fact that I cannot access the Internet while on a call! Seriously?!?! I tried this three times from there different locations and had the same result each time. Am I doing something wrong here or is this the way it works
This has nothing to do with the droid. CDMA technology doesn't allow voice and data to work at the same time. Only GSM works this way. It doesn't matter what device you have on verizon or sprint (both CDMA), you can't do voice and data at the same time.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:15 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Verizon Touch Pro 2
Carrier: VZW

ac520 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by gostars9 View Post
This has nothing to do with the droid. CDMA technology doesn't allow voice and data to work at the same time. Only GSM works this way. It doesn't matter what device you have on verizon or sprint (both CDMA), you can't do voice and data at the same time.

WTF?
I could have sworn I did this multiple times on my TP2! But sure enough, I just placed a call then tried browsing the Internet and… FAIL!
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

-=EDIT=-

So what do you guys/gals think about the HTC Passion/Dragon?

Do you think the Droid will be able to compare to that device? 1GHz proc. 4.3" display...

Last edited by ac520; 11-11-2009 at 02:30 PM. Reason: ???
Old 11-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Lurker

kaylesworth is a n00b

Got mine Friday! and just add to all that has been said before..IT IS AWESOME!! Had a Verizon VX6700 and VX6800 and was going back and forth on whether to get the TP2 or Omnia 2 or wait for the HD2. Forget all those! WinMo has a long way to got to catch up to Android (not to mention the annoying memory leaks that caused me to soft reset the VX6800 everyday). The Droid is fast, the screen is beautiful, alot of apps (alot of FREE ones) and an OS with OTA updates! No more waiting for Verizon to release the latest version months after Microsoft released it.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker

nerdherd is keeping up the good worknerdherd is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac520 View Post
Do you think the Droid will be able to compare to that device? 1GHz proc. 4.3" display...
We'll just have to see. With 1 Ghz clock speed and a 4.3" screen the phone is certainly going to be awesome, but I'm really wondering what the battery life will be like. I'm going to be VERY surprised if that phone will be able to last a full day of moderate use on a single charge. The Droid with the 550Mhz processor barely lasts a day with my use...haha...
Old 11-11-2009, 10:34 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid, HTC Imagio

GRTK_Brandon is just getting started

I picked mine up a day early from Wal-Mart, of all places. Just got back in town. The Droid was infinitely useful while I was away. Navigator worked almost flawlessly, it just doesn't know the definition of a 1-way street. Corporate mail and gmail are a breeze, and great. I was able to stay completely connected with my students back home. I'm more than happy with this phone.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:23 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: iphone 4S

LouieH is just getting started

Picked one up last week. Coming from TP from Sprint- I like the feel of the droid, good weight and smooth surface. The d-pad is useless. It’s the android software I fell in love with. Having everything at your fingertips without being gaudy, and its quick. But, I am returning it. I can’t get over how bad the camera is. I’ve read reviews that said it sucked, I didn’t think it was this bad.

I’m considering the hero. Is the software upgradable to 2.0?

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid