PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2009, 09:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: droid
Carrier: verizon wireless

filthy1 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: How-To: Root your Droid

still hesitant on this one....how does one update without loosing the root capabilities if the update has some changes that you might want...
Old 12-23-2009, 09:52 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid / Omnia II
Carrier: The Dark Side
Threadstarter

parkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthy1 View Post
still hesitant on this one....how does one update without loosing the root capabilities if the update has some changes that you might want...
You would have to install a patched version manually, much like the update that you applied to get root to begin with.
Why donate to one person, when you can support the site that makes it all possible instead

Old 12-23-2009, 11:14 PM
Droidgeek
Pocket PC: Rooted MotoDroid w/mish mash of ROMs
Carrier: Verizon

banden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuff
Re: Howto: Root your droid

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkjam View Post
YAY!!!!! Congrats zombie! It seems a bit daunting at first, but it really isn't that hard, and your chances of bricking your phone are really low, much like flashing new spl's on WinMo. As far as getting rid of the apps your not using. Try this in a terminal:

su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
cd /system/app
mv Email.apk Email.bak
mv VVMStub.apk VVMStub.bak
mv com.amazon.mp3.apk com.amazon.mp3.bak
mv CorpCal.apk CorpCal.bak
mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
sync
reboot
Forgive me as I'm not a Unix guy. Wouldn't it be more prudent to rename the files to something like Email.apk.bak ? I'd always been taught that as best practice in Windows environment and I don't see the reason for completely removing the old extension. (Just curious)
Old 12-24-2009, 12:58 AM
That guy with the axe
Pocket PC: MotoDroid

breakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Does anyone know if there is a compiled list of what things can be done with a rooted Droid at the moment? I figure I'll probably root it eventually, but I want to hold off as long as possible until there are some things that will really benefit me.

My primary waste of time and money http://www.cardomain.com/id/FireDiverZ28

Last edited by breakmyfootoff; 12-24-2009 at 01:00 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:03 AM
Zombway: Eat Flesh
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: VZW

z0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIP
Wirelessly posted (Droid: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0.1; en-us; Droid Build/ESD56) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Before I even got the droid I knew I was going to root it eventually. Being able to remove unused stock apps and skin the system theme just makes phone seem more personal the adfree app is also a big plus removed that ugly cadilac esaclade banner in pandora.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:49 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid / Omnia II
Carrier: The Dark Side
Threadstarter

parkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff View Post
Does anyone know if there is a compiled list of what things can be done with a rooted Droid at the moment? I figure I'll probably root it eventually, but I want to hold off as long as possible until there are some things that will really benefit me.
That link I posted about modifying the framework-res file is actually to a thread on alldroid called "what I have done now that Im rooted?", or something of that nature
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung

Sarge, USMC is just getting started

ya.....I ain't ready to root yet either, but I'll be watchin'.

Questions:
1.) How to tell what ver rom this droid is currently on?
2.) Why block OTA updates?
Old 12-24-2009, 06:16 PM
That guy with the axe
Pocket PC: MotoDroid

breakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on rep

The version info is in "about Phone" under the settings menu.
If your phone is rooted you would want to stop OTA updates to keep it from unrooting your phone. It wouldnt hurt anything to let the OTA update through, you just wouldnt be rooted anymore.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:22 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung

Sarge, USMC is just getting started

gotcha.......u know a lotta this techie stuff for a nozzle nut..............

Last edited by Sarge, USMC; 12-24-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:39 PM
Zombway: Eat Flesh
Pocket PC: Droid

z0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIP

nozzle nut... rofl... and most the stuff is just re-stated statements from other threads on here and other websites. because me and filthly1 were asking why bother rooting with the OTA updates coming soon.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid