PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2009, 05:37 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid, HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

GRTK_Brandon is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Passion Possibly coming to Verizon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick0984 View Post
I was under the impression that the processing power was actually more of a wash too. Raw Ghz != speed. The Droid graphic processing power is supposed to be much better, so much that they trade performance benefits depending on what you're doing. Couple that with the battery loss and no hardware keyboard, and I'm not so sure this Dragon/Passion/Incredible/Nexus One isn't just a lateral move.

Nonetheless, choices and competition are always good.
The Droid's graphic's processing power is actually not as good as the gpu that's supposed to come with the snapdragon chipset. Spec wise anyway. This is a common mistake because the Droid's OMAP3430 is made by TI while the iPhone's is made by Samsung. The Samsung chipset has a Powervr SGX 535 while TI's has a Powervr SGX 530. The 535 pushes up to 28 million triangles per second, which is double that of the 530 and I think 6 million more than the snapdragon gpu. I don't think there has been enough real world testing to see if the snapdragon gpu actually outperforms TI's chipset, but I don't really think graphical performance for Android phones is really a big deal at the moment. Most Android games only push around 4-5 million TPS, though of course gaming isn't the only aspect a good gpu improves performance in.

I've tried to find a good comparison between the OMAP3430 and the Snapdragon processors, but I haven't been able to find anything yet, plus I'm not that knowledgeable about hardware. Anyone care to step in and fix any of this information if it's incorrect?

As for my questions earlier, I guess I'm a bit disappointed that the Nexus One turned out to be the Passion/Bravo/Incredible/Whatever. I was hoping they'd be separate entities and we'd see something bigger from Google, but seems like that was only wishful thinking lol.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:22 AM
That guy with the axe
Pocket PC: MotoDroid
Threadstarter

breakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on rep

That was a pretty good post for someone that's
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRTK_Brandon View Post
not that knowledgeable about hardware.
I too would like to see more info comparing the speed between the TI processor and Snapdragon. Ultimately it's all speculation until you have it in your hand, I'll definitely be in a Verizon store to meet this new Android in person since the thing that matters most is how well it actually works

My primary waste of time and money http://www.cardomain.com/id/FireDiverZ28
Old 12-22-2009, 01:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Maverick0984 is keeping up the good workMaverick0984 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRTK_Brandon View Post
The Droid's graphic's processing power is actually not as good as the gpu that's supposed to come with the snapdragon chipset. Spec wise anyway. This is a common mistake because the Droid's OMAP3430 is made by TI while the iPhone's is made by Samsung. The Samsung chipset has a Powervr SGX 535 while TI's has a Powervr SGX 530. The 535 pushes up to 28 million triangles per second, which is double that of the 530 and I think 6 million more than the snapdragon gpu. I don't think there has been enough real world testing to see if the snapdragon gpu actually outperforms TI's chipset, but I don't really think graphical performance for Android phones is really a big deal at the moment. Most Android games only push around 4-5 million TPS, though of course gaming isn't the only aspect a good gpu improves performance in.

I've tried to find a good comparison between the OMAP3430 and the Snapdragon processors, but I haven't been able to find anything yet, plus I'm not that knowledgeable about hardware. Anyone care to step in and fix any of this information if it's incorrect?

As for my questions earlier, I guess I'm a bit disappointed that the Nexus One turned out to be the Passion/Bravo/Incredible/Whatever. I was hoping they'd be separate entities and we'd see something bigger from Google, but seems like that was only wishful thinking lol.
I see what you're saying, and truthfully what I read, I cannot find, and I assure you wasn't a technical comparison so who knows. I just read it in several seperate locations, so I assumed it to be true.

I bolded one statement you had because I believe that was more of what I was concerned with. Obviously running games isn't the primary reason for the phone. But any device uses both CPU and GPU to accomplish its tasks, and whether or not the OS can take advantage of the GPU depends on the devs of Android, and how their APIs integrate exactly, but I would hope it uses it quite extensively even in everyday apps and tasks.

I'd also be interested to know the exact specs on some of those processors. It would strike me as odd they would use a GPU with half the processing power and then proclaim to everyone the raw speed the phone has.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid