GRTK_Brandon
N00b

GRTK_Brandon is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Passion Possibly coming to Verizon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick0984 View Post
I was under the impression that the processing power was actually more of a wash too. Raw Ghz != speed. The Droid graphic processing power is supposed to be much better, so much that they trade performance benefits depending on what you're doing. Couple that with the battery loss and no hardware keyboard, and I'm not so sure this Dragon/Passion/Incredible/Nexus One isn't just a lateral move.

Nonetheless, choices and competition are always good.
The Droid's graphic's processing power is actually not as good as the gpu that's supposed to come with the snapdragon chipset. Spec wise anyway. This is a common mistake because the Droid's OMAP3430 is made by TI while the iPhone's is made by Samsung. The Samsung chipset has a Powervr SGX 535 while TI's has a Powervr SGX 530. The 535 pushes up to 28 million triangles per second, which is double that of the 530 and I think 6 million more than the snapdragon gpu. I don't think there has been enough real world testing to see if the snapdragon gpu actually outperforms TI's chipset, but I don't really think graphical performance for Android phones is really a big deal at the moment. Most Android games only push around 4-5 million TPS, though of course gaming isn't the only aspect a good gpu improves performance in.

I've tried to find a good comparison between the OMAP3430 and the Snapdragon processors, but I haven't been able to find anything yet, plus I'm not that knowledgeable about hardware. Anyone care to step in and fix any of this information if it's incorrect?

As for my questions earlier, I guess I'm a bit disappointed that the Nexus One turned out to be the Passion/Bravo/Incredible/Whatever. I was hoping they'd be separate entities and we'd see something bigger from Google, but seems like that was only wishful thinking lol.
This post has been thanked 1 times.