PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid X
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2010, 11:09 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe
Re: locked bootloader?

Anyone I know who buys any phone of this caliber USES their phone. I hit anywhere from 5-7gb per month and most of that is email, RSS, Youtube and web surfing. If you buy a phone like these just to look cool but not use it for everything it is designed to do (plus more) then you dont need these type devices.

Going from an unlimited data plan at $30 v/s 2gb for $25 doesnt sound like much of a savings. It sounds like a recipe for financial disaster. Anyone who has Android or iPhone and only uses 200-300mb is NOT using thier phone so why have a multimedia device?

I understand what you are saying but IMO I think it is a bad move. Only time will tell. IMO, they can do the 200mb at $15 and 2gb at $25 but should also keep the option available for Unlimited at $30

I had the Evo and took it back. Hell we had two of them. Although it was a great device, The Moto DX is not appealing to be with a locked BL. Thats almost as bad as AT&T keeping their Androids from doing 3rd party apps other than from the Market. Why restrict something that was designed to be unrestricted? Again, theres that Lamborghini that is governed to 60 mph.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Back
Pocket PC: Droid X

redd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the community

just because some dont use a lot of data doesnt mean they dont use thier phones. not everyone has a need for over 2gb of data obviously. i bthink you really answered your own question. why have a multimedia device? becuase its a multimedia device, data centric activities are but a small portion of what you can do with these monsters. playing games, watching movies, making movies, editing/creating docs for work etc plenty of things to do that dont require data but cant be done on a dumbphone not to mention the abundance of free wifi hotspots that would negate the need of data somewhat also. you act as if just becuase they dont use a bunch of data they dont deserve a phone of this caliber and should be stuck in dumbphone purgatory.

a $5 savings isnt gonna make anyone rich but its still something esp for someone like me with lots of lines. every dollar counts.

i also fail to see who it would be finacial disastorous for them perhaps you could expound upon that one. att just brought on 2 million new contracts in the last couple weeks, i think theyll be ok lol. big companies make bonehead moves all the time (m$/kin) but imo this was a well researched move by them but like you said, time will tell.

most people will never need to or even know how to load nonmarket apps, most will never even want to flash roms so outside of the dev community (which is very small) those arent really that important to them i would assume. what percentage of iphones/winmo phones/androids are jailbroken/unlocked/rooted? not too many. dont get me wrong im a tweaker just like you fellas and would love to be able to flash but there is 2 sides to the coin. people bricking phones trying to flash that must be replaced, people loading up apk's from random websites and getting all their data stolen. im not saying i agree with these policies, i actually think they blow pretty hard, but i can fully appreciate the logic behind them.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

rolandroland is keeping up the good workrolandroland is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedahoe View Post
Anyone I know who buys any phone of this caliber USES their phone. I hit anywhere from 5-7gb per month and most of that is email, RSS, Youtube and web surfing. If you buy a phone like these just to look cool but not use it for everything it is designed to do (plus more) then you dont need these type devices.
First off none of us NEED this or any phone like this, no matter how important we hope these things can make us feel. Necessities are usually in the food, shelter and transportation categories.
Your usage of 5-7 GB is not typical in my opinion, even for "power users". I run my companies IT dept and part of it is reviewing the bill periodically and we have a lot of SERIOUS power users here and I have yet to see one of them hit 5 - 7 GB.

Not trying to pick a fight, just remember "anyone I know" will only produce a small sample of people when compared to the millions of smartphone power users out there. My experience is as likely to be accurate as yours or the next guys. So that's why I would try to avoid proclamations of how phones should be used.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:37 PM
VIP Member

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe

Im not trying to pick a fight either but when you sell data rich devices and verbally sell them to users as the best device on the face of the planet but then restrict them, that just does not bode well with me. But as we said before, time will tell.

Me personally, I use my device to upload a lot of pics, download all kinds of vids, pics, docs, PDFs, music and whatever else. Im constantly on Youtube and have lots of RSS feeds I check all the time. I use the chit out of my browser. Lets not forget weather updates, aGPS data, maps all the other 3rd party apps that use data.

When Netflix comes out for Android, guess what I will be doing, using it.

I cover several forums daily and my wife and I did use the front facing cameras on our Evo's with Qik. Theres more data usage right there.

Our plan starts over on the 8th and today is the 13th and I am already at 1.92 Gb.

Try to give me a device that is the best on the market and tell me I can only have 2gb and I will be cancelling a service. Now when I first had my xv6700 and xv6800 i used a lot of wifi. But then again, it did not have all the capabilities the newer phones have now-a-days and wasnt built to do the things the Evo, Incredible, DX, iPhone and others are made to do.

Last edited by weedahoe; 07-13-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:34 PM
Back

redd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the community

theyve always been restricted in some way or another. and like i said before even with the unlimted plans on these data rich devices very few go over 2gb so it benefits many many more people than it "restricts". the majority should not be forced to pay more becuase a few people use oodles of data. i posed the question earlier, if you were running vzw or att would it make more sense to implement the caps and allow 95% of you customer base to save money every month or leave it as is so 5% of your customers can eat up a bunch of data?

also one doesnt have to use a bunch of data to enjoy their phone. like you stated before these are MULTImedia devices, there are multiple ways to use these that are not data driven. not everyone is like you or i.

the writing is on the wall bro. eventually there will be caps on all major carriers, you can either modify your usage (use more wifi, its freakin everywhere nowadays anyways) or you can hit up boost mobile or cricket or some little carrier thatll give you the world for $50 and try to activate a high end phone on there.

on a side note, since youve used them twice as an example, most lambos can top out over 200mph but they usually have govenors/restrictors so that they cant get that high
Old 07-14-2010, 11:24 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC touch pro
Carrier: alltel

piccilo72 is a n00b

[QUOTE=redd214;1864232]"theyve always been restricted in some way or another.

I think you all seriously missed the true reason why AT&T capped their usage. It was because on the same day they decided on a cap they made an announcement that they would allow iPhone tethering. This would have allowed alot of people to strain their system pretty hard because those of us that know what we are doing would use the iPhone as a personal modem and have DSL through our cells pretty much. I have used my touch pro for this. My usual download in a months time with my computer is well over 2GBs its actually over 200 Gbs. I should also state that I lived in an area where I had to use satellite internet for the last 3 years...cry. I was limited to 15GBs download a month and that wasn't even enough for basic web browsing on a tiered system because as the month went on my internet speeds decreased due to the "Reasonable Use Policy". As time goes on though we all know data consumption needs will become greater, and the FCC has already pushed for companies to stop banning ports, and limiting what and how much can be downloaded. As the younger generation steps into power I believe doors will open up and we will see a true technological revolution.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:31 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 with MightyROM

Explodee is a n00b

I believe the topic is Locked Bootloader, not Data Plan Arguments.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:35 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid

ronaldheld is just getting started

Unfortunately this may be the rule
Old 07-15-2010, 03:46 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explodee View Post
I believe the topic is Locked Bootloader, not Data Plan Arguments.
Thats true and sry for the thread jacking but when a thread is hot, you gotta keep it hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redd214 View Post
on a side note, since youve used them twice as an example, most lambos can top out over 200mph but they usually have govenors/restrictors so that they cant get that high
True but I havent seen a vehicle yet that doesnt have a hardware tuner or software tuning support to change the PCM/ECU parameters. Even my Dodge Ram is custom tuned.

Bottom line, i will NOT be getting a DX from VZW/Moto because of this locked BL. Then on top of all of that we are finding out about the TI OMAP having eFuse built in to brick your device if you try to mod it. Thats just not a device I want and VZW/Moto can keep it.

For ppl who want a basic phone to do basic things thats fine, I like to push mine to the limits and beyond.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:53 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: VZW Droid X

dimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I am sure that some genious in the community will figure a way around all of these issues. Someone always does.

If I have helped you in anyway, please click Thank You.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid X