PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Verizon XV6900
Carrier: Verizon

VasKeZ is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Using the Phone's GPS as the GPS for my Computer?

Does anyone know if there is a way to set up my phone's intergrated GPS (verizon xv6900) as the GPS that my laptop uses when I have MS Streets & Trips running? The intergrated GPS on the phone is awesome, but my laptop has a much bigger screen and is easier to see when I'm driving. I've done a bunch of digging on PPCGeeks but haven't found anything. I'll start doing some diggin' over at XDA-Developers next.

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-14-2009, 02:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC RhodiumW - Sprint Branded
Carrier: Sprint

volDeus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvolDeus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvolDeus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvolDeus is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to volDeus Send a message via Skype™ to volDeus
Re: Using the Phone's GPS as the GPS for my Computer?

Could be wrong but I don't think something like that would be possible without some serious emulation type software on at least the PPC end ...

Maybe it would be an easier option to get a small external USB GPS reciever ... A quick Google Shopping search turned up this one ...

"Holux USB Mouse GPS Receiver GR-213 for PC (WAAS, USB Connector)"

This morning it's listed there for $39.95 ... It uses a USB or bluetooth connection. The bluetooth is nice because you can set the reciever up somewhere that it has a clearer view of the sky (and it's one less cable connected to your laptop) ... It charges off the USB port but its battery life is enough that you can just charge it for a few hours and it will run most of the day ...

I bought the same one a few years ago (before we had use of out Titan GPS reciever) and it works like a charm ...

In any event, excellent question, I hope you get a better answer.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch WM6.5

acontrasto is keeping up the good workacontrasto is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Skype™ to acontrasto

Check out GPS2Blue

That's the only software I know of that allows what you are asking for, although you need a bluetooth receiver in your PC for this to work. I've tried it before, but I only played around with it for a couple minutes and I couldn't get it to work. I didn't have the urge to try harder. If you can get it to work, let me know! You sparked my interest again.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:53 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

VasKeZ is a n00b
Smile Re: Using the Phone's GPS as the GPS for my Computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acontrasto View Post
Check out GPS2Blue

That's the only software I know of that allows what you are asking for, although you need a bluetooth receiver in your PC for this to work. I've tried it before, but I only played around with it for a couple minutes and I couldn't get it to work. I didn't have the urge to try harder. If you can get it to work, let me know! You sparked my interest again.
Sweet! Thanks a bunch! I'll be sure to try it out tonight! I did read his website and he has a way to tether it through the USB as well. I'll let you know how it worked out.

And FYI for everyone else: I did find some other links to stuff on XDA Devlopers...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=480578
which ended up leading me to another product that looks like it has promise, but isn't free...
http://www.4winmobile.com/forums/4wm...te-review.html
Old 06-15-2009, 08:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Any updates on GPS2Blue or any of the other options? I haven't had time to try any.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:31 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

VasKeZ is a n00b

Tried and failed. The GPS2Blue just won't see the port to bluetooth- it keeps saying that it's waiting for bluetooth to be enabled even when it already is... The other way was to try routing the GPS signal through USB by way of a TCP/IP connection, which again, did not work for me. Kinda sux. I didn't really feel like spending $20 on that other GPS/bluetooth program I found just to satisfy a gee-wiz curiosity...
Old 06-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

VasKeZ is a n00b

Hold everything... I just realized that there is a com assignment drop down menu next to the bluetooth radio button that allows me to change where the program looks for the bluetooth. Once I changed that to COM0, it seems to have liked it and now my laptop can see it as a functioning bluetooth GPS. Now to take a stroll outside to see if I can get any satellite signals...

Success! Gotta make sure that you assign the outgoing Bluetooth port to the one that is paired up to the laptop- in my case, COM0.

Interesting. Looks like I can only run one connection through bluetooth at a time- so no internet and GPS through the BT connection at the same time. No big deal though- it just means that I'll have to run a separate USB cable to the laptop if I want internet access (which is about 2x faster for downloading data than over bluetooth) while running the GPS through the BT connection...
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:52 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch (XV6900) dual boot Android
Carrier: Money Grabbin' Verizon

inertone knows their stuffinertone knows their stuffinertone knows their stuffinertone knows their stuffinertone knows their stuffinertone knows their stuffinertone knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to inertone

maybe http://www.mymobiler.com/, haha
Old 06-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

VasKeZ is a n00b

Just to reaffirm- the GPS2Blue setup works and it picks up the GPS signal a lot faster than my old Pharos GPS receiver that originally came with Streets & Trips 2005. However, the phone GPS seems to have a harder time maintaining the GPS signal or something. While driving home yesterday, something with this setup stalled while I was driving through a valley where my location didn't update until a few minutes later after I made it back up out of the valley. Hummm... On a side note, I also noticed that when I was visiting NYC, I never could get a satellite lock through Google maps on the phone while walking around between the buildings... Now my old GPS did have a harder time maintaining the signals in the city as well, but it has never dropped the signal like that through the same valley area like my phone did. I till have to play around with it to find out all the ins and outs are with it.

Overall, I think that it'll end up being pretty useful since it'll be one less thing that I won't have to bring when traveling- I can just leave the old GPS receiver mounted in my car! Yay! It is nice to have options and the coolness factor is there too.

Thanks for everyone's help! =D>
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Nice job vaskez! I'll have to give it a second chance now that I know someone else got it working. Thanks for the effort!
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue