PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009, 08:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

user60396561 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: GPS on XV6900 Without Data

ALMOST THERE!!!

Double checked Location is "ON" and GPS managed automatically. Installed GPS Toggle and GPS Gate 2.6.0.280. I couldn't find input "WMGPS" so selected input "COM4" and output "Virtual COM2 / (All NMEA) NMEA Filter". GPS Toggle shows "Lock: 6" and GPS Gate Green icon confirms "GPS data with valid position."

Using WMMiniGPS, I get my location!

Using iGuidance shows sat 6/7 but the lat and lon coordinates jump around. If I enter a destination, it shows I'm "Outside of Map Area" / "Off Road." I've left it to see if it just needs time to lock but nothing happens. I also installed Garmin Mobile XT but my location keeps jumping around Africa. Any thoughts on how to get the GPS to communicate with the software?

Last edited by user60396561; 05-02-2009 at 12:43 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6900
Carrier: Verizon

stevens is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by user60396561 View Post
ALMOST THERE!!!

Double checked Location is "ON" and GPS managed automatically. Installed GPS Toggle and GPS Gate 2.6.0.280. I couldn't find input "WMGPS" so selected input "COM4" and output "Virtual COM2 / (All NMEA) NMEA Filter". GPS Toggle shows "Lock: 6" and GPS Gate Green icon confirms "GPS data with valid position."

Using WMMiniGPS, I get my location!

Using iGuidance shows sat 6/7 but the lat and lon coordinates jump around. If I enter a destination, it shows I'm "Outside of Map Area" / "Off Road." I've left it to see if it just needs time to lock but nothing happens. I also installed Garmin Mobile XT but my location keeps jumping around Africa. Any thoughts on how to get the GPS to communicate with the software?
You're really close. The only thing missing is WM GPS. You should be able to find it in the GPSGate Input pull down list.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:10 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Steve, you're the best! My GPSGate was 2.6.0 and WM GPS is available on 2.6.1 I guess it goes back to reading the directions and user error! Standalone GPS works great on iGuidance 4.0.

I've been trying to get it work with Garmin Mobile XT. It assumes Port 4, so the coordinates jump around. I disable it and gives me the options "COM4:COM4", "COM6: RIL ON COM6", "COM7:COM7", and "COM9:Virtual COM9"... no COM2. Any ideas to try or have you read anything about it?

Last edited by user60396561; 05-04-2009 at 03:31 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro-GPS
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Rangerdave is keeping up the good workRangerdave is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Steve, you're the best! My GPSGate was 2.6.0 and WM GPS is available on 2.6.1 I guess it goes back to reading the directions and user error! Standalone GPS works great on iGuidance 4.0. I've been trying to get it work with Garmin Mobile XT but there's no option to read data from Port 2. And since it's reading from the original Port 4, the coordinates jump around. Any ideas? I'll be googling and trialing and error in the mean time. Thanks again!
Go into Gamin and tell it to "Disable" the gps. Then re-enable but use the interm. driver/port. You will see it in there once you disable it. Mine works better there for some reason. It might help.

RD
Old 05-04-2009, 04:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

I turn on the GPS, and go into garmin and disable it, and it shows COM2. I select it and enable, but then it defaults back to COM4. I'm using 4.10.00wp btw. What version are you using? I've also read in other forums about a "GPS Intermediate Driver" option but it's not available in mine. I'll read a bit more and maybe upgrade to see what happens.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:55 AM
Lurker

stevens is just getting started

Quote:
Steve, you're the best! My GPSGate was 2.6.0 and WM GPS is available on 2.6.1 I guess it goes back to reading the directions and user error! Standalone GPS works great on iGuidance 4.0.

I've been trying to get it work with Garmin Mobile XT. It assumes Port 4, so the coordinates jump around. I disable it and gives me the options "COM4:COM4", "COM6: RIL ON COM6", "COM7:COM7", and "COM9:Virtual COM9"... no COM2. Any ideas to try or have you read anything about it?
Since the 6900 built-in GPS is using COM4, try to avoid using this port. Instead of using COM2 on the GPSGate output, you can try to use Virtual COM7 (or 9) / (All NMEA) NMEA Filter and see how it works.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:59 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Hi All, I was able to finally get Garmin to work. I had to install DeviceX to disable Port 4. After, I set up GPSGate input as "WMGPS" and output as "Virtual COM4 / (All NMEA) NMEA Filter." In Garmin, it now shows I'm using device "COM4:COM4 Franson" (Franson is the maker of GPS Gate) instead previously showing "COM4:COM4" and with my coordinates jumping around all the place.

My last question is if anybody has tips regarding getting faster satellite locks? Mine usually takes 2-5 minutes, maybe even a few tries since I get impatient and toggle the GPS on and off. I saw this thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...=496494&page=5
but it seems to be a aGPS fix instead of a standalone GPS fix. Also, looks like there's mix results whether it really works or not.

Last edited by user60396561; 05-10-2009 at 05:09 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:33 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC xv6900

djanu is a n00b
Smile Re: GPS on XV6900 Without Data

Hi,

I have been following this thread and had been tweaking my phone to get it work with GPS and finally I got it working. Had tried tough things but it was simple though, here is what I did -

Got my Verizon XV6900 with datablock last week.

Followed each step stated here -

http://wiki.ppchaven.com/index.php?t...IX_VERIZON_GPS

[1] Unlock with 0.40.coke
[2] Flash Sprint ROM RUU_Vogue_SPRINT_WWE_1.12.651.1_2.13.00_SPC_NV133_ Ship DO NOT LET CUSTOMIZATIONS RUN
[3] Unlock with 2.31.coke
[4] Flash Verizon ROM RUU_Vogue_VZW_WWE_3.14.605.1_Radio_3.37.77_Ship DO NOT LET CUSTOMIZATIONS RUN

(I didn't let the customization run in any of the step above, just did soft reset by poking stylus in the hole as soon as 3 sec msg pops up)

[5] Flash any custom rom (I let the cutomization run afterward in this step)

Skip the step 6 aGPS fix since we are working with data block so no data can be transmitted for aGPS.

As a custom Rom in step 5 I used NfsFan's wm 6.5 V10.

standalone GPS is working without any further tweak or hack, tested with TomTom and Garmin Mobile XT, gets lock inside my room, though my apartment is fairly open and considering i' m in CA, I get a lock in 2-3 min.
GPS works great, only thing is I was not able to authenticate phone automatically after updates, will have to call VZW tomorrow. finger crossed hopefully they will do it.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

snakehn is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanu View Post
Hi,

I have been following this thread and had been tweaking my phone to get it work with GPS and finally I got it working. Had tried tough things but it was simple though, here is what I did -

Got my Verizon XV6900 with datablock last week.

Followed each step stated here -

http://wiki.ppchaven.com/index.php?t...IX_VERIZON_GPS

[1] Unlock with 0.40.coke
[2] Flash Sprint ROM RUU_Vogue_SPRINT_WWE_1.12.651.1_2.13.00_SPC_NV133_ Ship DO NOT LET CUSTOMIZATIONS RUN
[3] Unlock with 2.31.coke
[4] Flash Verizon ROM RUU_Vogue_VZW_WWE_3.14.605.1_Radio_3.37.77_Ship DO NOT LET CUSTOMIZATIONS RUN

(I didn't let the customization run in any of the step above, just did soft reset by poking stylus in the hole as soon as 3 sec msg pops up)

[5] Flash any custom rom (I let the cutomization run afterward in this step)

Skip the step 6 aGPS fix since we are working with data block so no data can be transmitted for aGPS.

As a custom Rom in step 5 I used NfsFan's wm 6.5 V10.

standalone GPS is working without any further tweak or hack, tested with TomTom and Garmin Mobile XT, gets lock inside my room, though my apartment is fairly open and considering i' m in CA, I get a lock in 2-3 min.
GPS works great, only thing is I was not able to authenticate phone automatically after updates, will have to call VZW tomorrow. finger crossed hopefully they will do it.
Cool, please let me know how it goes, i am planning on doing the same thing here, i don't use data.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:49 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC xv6900

djanu is a n00b

Getting the phone authenticated was quite easy, I just called them early morning telling that I had to do a hard reset and the girl took no time to re authenticate my phone. It took less than a min.

The bad thing is, just after my phone got authenticated, I am not having any luck in getting locks, gps viewer still sees the sats but no fix. Garmin did get a lock for sometime but then lost it. Before the authentication everything was working flawlessly. I ran tomtom and garmin multiple time at least 3 times each of them and got locks pretty soon. it was able to show my location correctly all the time, GPS viewer had the fix everytime i rebooted in a few min. I am not able to digest that getting authenticated created this problem.

Any suggestions ??? Do I have to disable aGPS, is that the cause ?

Also I feel that since I did a flash with (ROM RUU_Vogue_VZW_WWE_3.14.605.1_Radio_3.37.77_Ship)

I have less cell signals then I used to have with stockrom the phone was shipped with (wm 6.1 and radio 3.37.78..) Any suggestion on that ??

PS: I still see the satellites on GPS viewer.... cann't get a fix as before....
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue