PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch (CDMA)
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

BloodShed is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GPS on XV6900 Without Data

I'm hoping someone can help with this. I am having trouble getting GPS working without using a data connection.

A little over a year ago I got GPS working. I'm not sure what I did that finally worked. I did everything from registry edits to driver installs to swapping WM libraries. I also believe I have been using one of OMJ's ROMs this whole time. I can't remember. I've been using TomTom 6 with fair success.

This week I finally decided to update my year+ old ROM. Now I can't seem to get GPS working again.

Here's what I've done:

First, I installed the official Verizon update, letting customizations run with the Valhalla Legends GPSServer:
RUU_Vogue_VZW_WWE_3.14.605.1_Radio_3.37.78_Ship.exe

I later discovered that the official 3.37.78 radio release changes the lockdown on GPS so it no longer works. So I followed the steps here:
http://wiki.ppchaven.com/index.php?t...IX_VERIZON_GPS

After installing the Verizon leaked 3.37.77 release (no customization), I installed the Bell update (for the radio, no customization):
RUU_Vogue_BM_WWE_3.09.666.1_Radio3.42.50_Ship.exe
Then, I tried:
NFSFAN's VERIZON 1.12 ROM.rar

I followed the top part of the guide here:
http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index...VerizonAGPSFix
My phone was automatically signing into data and it didn't work anyway. So, I tried using QPST with the following settings instead:
PDE Transport: DBM
Position Calculation: PDE

I also tried Position Calculation "Mobile".

I tried changing the GPSMode registry to "1" (MS Based?)

I tried Valhalla again, even though that shouldn't work; it didn't.

I repeated the steps here:

This time I stayed with the Verizon 3.37.77 release without customizations. I expected the non-Valhalla method to work. I tried all the same methods mentioned above (QPST/Registry/Valhalla) but none of them work.

I'm considering reinstalling the leaked Verizon 3.37.77 radio release WITH customizations in combination with the Valhalla method. Won't this screw up installing 3rd party ROMs?

After a thousand soft resets, I've been using TomTom and HTC GPS Tool to verify connectivity. TomTom says "No GPS Device" and HTC GPS Tool says "Fix not available".

At this point, I'm so f'n annoyed that I've wasted so much personal time on this. I swear when my contract is up I'm switching to a GSM network. I love Verizon's coverage but I'm sick of these games where Verizon (and Sprint) try to force users to pay for services they don't want or need by crippling the phones.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Axim X51v, Tilt, 8525 VX6900, Imagio
Carrier: AT&T & Verizon

jadesse is becoming a great contributor
Re: GPS on XV6900 Without Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodShed View Post
I'm hoping someone can help with this. I am having trouble getting GPS working without using a data connection.

A little over a year ago I got GPS working. I'm not sure what I did that finally worked. I did everything from registry edits to driver installs to swapping WM libraries. I also believe I have been using one of OMJ's ROMs this whole time. I can't remember. I've been using TomTom 6 with fair success.

This week I finally decided to update my year+ old ROM. Now I can't seem to get GPS working again.

Here's what I've done:

First, I installed the official Verizon update, letting customizations run with the Valhalla Legends GPSServer:
RUU_Vogue_VZW_WWE_3.14.605.1_Radio_3.37.78_Ship.exe

I later discovered that the official 3.37.78 radio release changes the lockdown on GPS so it no longer works. So I followed the steps here:

After installing the Verizon leaked 3.37.77 release (no customization), I installed the Bell update (for the radio, no customization):
RUU_Vogue_BM_WWE_3.09.666.1_Radio3.42.50_Ship.exe
Then, I tried:
NFSFAN's VERIZON 1.12 ROM.rar

I followed the top part of the guide here:
http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index...VerizonAGPSFix
My phone was automatically signing into data and it didn't work anyway. So, I tried using QPST with the following settings instead:
PDE Transport: DBM
Position Calculation: PDE

I also tried Position Calculation "Mobile".

I tried changing the GPSMode registry to "1" (MS Based?)

I tried Valhalla again, even though that shouldn't work; it didn't.

I repeated the steps here:

This time I stayed with the Verizon 3.37.77 release without customizations. I expected the non-Valhalla method to work. I tried all the same methods mentioned above (QPST/Registry/Valhalla) but none of them work.

I'm considering reinstalling the leaked Verizon 3.37.77 radio release WITH customizations in combination with the Valhalla method. Won't this screw up installing 3rd party ROMs?

After a thousand soft resets, I've been using TomTom and HTC GPS Tool to verify connectivity. TomTom says "No GPS Device" and HTC GPS Tool says "Fix not available".

At this point, I'm so f'n annoyed that I've wasted so much personal time on this. I swear when my contract is up I'm switching to a GSM network. I love Verizon's coverage but I'm sick of these games where Verizon (and Sprint) try to force users to pay for services they don't want or need by crippling the phones.
I feel your pain. From what I have read, if you let customizations run then you are basically screwed. My phone came with WM6 loaded. I unlocked it with 2.31 & then flashed the leaked Verizon Rom & radio. I never let customizations run with the original ROM or the leaked one. The GPS did work I was able to get a fix using the HTC GPS Viewer. It took quite a while to get a fix though. I tried the AGPS fix & encountered the same problem as you.

At this point I decided to flash the official rom. I did the registry edit.

Registry Edit:
HLKM/Software/HTC/SUPL AGPS:
Registry Key name value
EnableAGPS: 1
EnableGPSSmartMode: 1
GPSMode: 4

After this I was getting locks a lot faster but still having issues with TomTom. The I found this thread over at XDA-Developers.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=363464

Even after this the GPS would not work after my phone went to suspend mode. I lived with it for a few days & decided to flash a custom ROM. I flashed NFSFAN's Verizon ROM & let the customizations run. Now the GPS work flawlessly. People seem to have mixed success & I cannot explain it. I never let customizations run until I flashed NFSFAN's Verizon ROM
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:32 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

samnyc is a n00b

I think the first lock after a flash always takes a long time, after that it can assume many things so the lock becomes faster. I have Sprint so YMMV.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:06 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: vx6900

elitegunslinger is a n00b

Follow this exactly, it will fix your gps even if you accidentally let the customizations run.

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:35 PM
Lurker

buci1er is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitegunslinger View Post
Follow this exactly, it will fix your gps even if you accidentally let the customizations run.

X20000000000000

it worked for me and now i'm running nfsfans 1.12 rom with gps fully functioning =D
Old 03-13-2009, 01:34 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Verizon

tankbusta is a n00b

I'm having issues too. I upgraded to the VZW 6.1 update and let customizations run. Then I unlocked it with 2.31 then did the Bell Update for Radio without Customizations then NFS ROM. Should it work or do I have to do what the link (http://wiki.ppchaven.com/index.php?t...IX_VERIZON_GPS) says?
Old 03-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Verizon vx 6900

BudVen is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by buci1er View Post
X20000000000000

it worked for me and now i'm running nfsfans 1.12 rom with gps fully functioning =D

Did you use the radio from the leaked rom 3.37.77 or the radio from the official rom 3.37.78? I am having the same problems as you. Also, did you have to authenticate your phone after following this tutorial?
Old 03-15-2009, 09:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudVen View Post
Did you use the radio from the leaked rom 3.37.77 or the radio from the official rom 3.37.78? I am having the same problems as you. Also, did you have to authenticate your phone after following this tutorial?
You will most likely have to authenicate your phone after flashing another carries ROM.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch (CDMA)
Threadstarter

BloodShed is a n00b

Hey, thanks for all the replies. I had to take a break from messing with my phone as it was starting to affect my temperament.

Just to clarify, one of my problems is that all of the tutorials and information out there assume the user has a data plan. The instructions configure the phone for IP based aGPS. I can't use that. I also know it works without data as I had it working before.

To be honest, I'm having a hard time finding reliable information beyond what's in the tutorials. I'm a member here, at xda-developers, at PPC Haven, and at Howard Forums so I have been looking.

Basically, here are a couple things I'm trying to understand/confirm:

If you run the Verizon MR1 leaked ROM (with 3.37.77 radio) with customizations you must use the Valhalla Legends GPSServer; even if you install a custom ROM later, correct? Or will it not work with custom ROMs after that? Is this because the customization changes the PRI perhaps? I currently have the 3.37.77 radio ROM with 1.37_002 PRI (no customization run); does that sound right?

If you install the Verizon MR1 ROM (with 3.37.78 radio) and let customizations run, there is no way to get GPS working. You must follow the downgrade proceedure to fix it. However, you can install this ROM if you do NOT let customizations run, correct?

Can anyone explain how the Valhalla Legends GPSServer works? I know it replaces the GPS driver to decrypt Verizon’s customized hardware communication with the gpsOne chip. But does it only support IP-based aGPS hardware calls or does it support all driver routines?

If you install any of the official Verizon ROMs without customizations, you need to follow the longer method (use QPST and registry settings provided in "GC Verizon aGPS.cab"). The same instructions apply if you install a custom ROM later. I've read mixed instructions on whether to use the registry settings or not and which settings to use.

Now within QPST, I have can choose position determination entity or "Mobile". What is "Mobile"? …Tower triangulation? I assume the "PDE Transport" option only applies if I set position calculation to PDE. How does data burst messaging work? I would just like to figure out what setting I should use for non-data.

In the registry I can choose GPSMode 1 for no assistance (no aGPS at all?), 2 for server assistance (IP/data based?), or 4 for hybrid which is satellite and… (IP/data or tower based)? I swear I remember reading something about EnableGPSSmartMode using data but now I can't remember or find it. What does that option do?

Lastly, regardless of QPST and the registry options, I expect I should at least see "no valid GPS signal" instead of "no GPS device" in TomTom. I expect similar in HTC GPS Tool instead of "fix not available". I used to prime my GPS with a launcher but it's my understanding that it's not needed anymore.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

First the RUU_Vogue_VZW_WWE_3.14.605.1_Radio_3.37.78_Ship.exe does not lock the ROM as long as you DO NOT LET THE CUSTOMIZATIONS RUN. I have proven this. I was able to obtain GPS locks with Holux GPS viewer without any hacks or fixes. The GPS didn't work great because it took minutes to lock. I would have to soft rest every time I wanted to use it.

Make sure GPS registry settings afterwards are on in HLKM/Software/HTC/SUPL AGPS:
Registry Key name
value
EnableAGPS
EnableGPSSmartMode
GPSMode
ServerIP
ServerPort

This was the only thing that I did.

In order to get TomTom to work I used this fix.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=363464

I still had to soft reset every time I wanted to use TomTom because the GPS would not lock after my phone had been off.

I had the same problem with the AGPS fix where the data connection turned on. I went through the process even though I wasn't seeing the same ports the directions showed. I went back in later & restored the old configuration that was saved at the beginning to resolve that issue.

I then flashed NFSFAN's Verizon ROM & now my GPS work flawlessly without any hacks or fixes.

If all else fail I would try the fix posted over at PPC Haven.
http://wiki.ppchaven.com/index.php?title=Pocket_PC_WIki:FIX_VERIZON_GPS

After step 4 see if you can get a GPS lock with HTC GPS viewer or the Holux viewer. I you can then flash NFSFAN's ROM & don't worry about the AGPS fix.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue