PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: 6900 CDMA
Carrier: Alltel

gbynum is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is a "complete" backup possible?

I have purchased, but do not yet have in my possession, an Alltel HTC Touch. I understand this is also known as the Vogue; it is a model 6900.

The seller tells me that he has purchased and installed "lots of goodies", and that it seems to need to be rebooted every now and again. I'm not a real "goodie" person, and would like to make it as close to stock as practical to start my smartphone usage. BUT, I'd like to have those to add back in if I decide I want to do so.

Is there a practical way to identify AND EXTRACT installed programs? 20 years ago, I was pretty good at hacking CP/M systems, but have done little serious work outside of industrial computing since then.

Thanks in advance,

George
Old 12-10-2008, 06:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Vogue + Diamond

CenFlo is becoming a great contributor
Re: Is a "complete" backup possible?

I replied to this earlier, perhaps I didn't hit the "Post" button.

If the phone is needing several resets per day, you will want to load a new rom so "backing up" his setting (or programs) should not be necessary. If he has purchased software for the phone then he technically owns the right to use it, that's your call to make.

You will want to backup your own stuff when you get your personal things on it. Contacts, messages, call logs, files, etc.

This can all be done using a program like PIM backup and stored on the SD card, on your PC, online or all of the above.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:56 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: 6900 CDMA
Threadstarter

gbynum is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenFlo View Post
If the phone is needing several resets per day, you will want to load a new rom so "backing up" his setting (or programs) should not be necessary. If he has purchased software for the phone then he technically owns the right to use it, that's your call to make.
With SOME software for which I spend money, I have a non-transferable license; others, I can sell if I uninstall it from my system. He tells me "Note: All that cool stuff I loaded on the phone will not work on my new Blackberry Storm. What a drag for me, but you might like all the flipping/ spinning/ backup all programs. If not you can always remove them. But you don't want to buy all that as it would cost you a few hundred.". From this, I gather that I will not be getting legal for me to use programs, and if I wish to be legal (I am not a jerk, but do believe in paying for what I use; I have tried pirated stuff, I admit), they should be removed or purchased BY ME.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CenFlo View Post
You will want to backup your own stuff when you get your personal things on it. Contacts, messages, call logs, files, etc.

This can all be done using a program like PIM backup and stored on the SD card, on your PC, online or all of the above.
I don't think I need to read between the lines to draw the conclusion that I should wipe it by installing the October HTC release ... for many reasons. I ARSE_U_ME that WM6.1 has some equivalent of "add-remove" programs or Start|Programs so I can at least see what he has put in. Is that true?

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2008, 11:41 PM
Chillin'
Pocket PC: Evolved....
Carrier: Sprint

hooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rep

to see these programs like you asked start>settings>system and you'll see what you may have been refering to...
Old 12-11-2008, 04:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch
Carrier: low tech vzw

imdarkside is becoming a great contributor

i'd do a hard reset and clear the whole thing out. several resets a day indicates a software problem and trying to find out which one would be a bugger. most of what you need to install is free (and was developed here or at xda). the other stuff does not cost much to support the developers (15-$30).
Old 12-11-2008, 06:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Vogue + Diamond

CenFlo is becoming a great contributor

Look at it like buying a new PC.

Sure you can leave it alone and run all the stuff the owner before you had on it or you can reload it and start clean & fresh.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue