PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2008, 01:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Bell

TheIgster is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Restore SPB Backup AFTER ROM Upgrade?

Level 1 is the lowest level as far as I know. It restored previous ROM sounds and everything for me. Messed things up actually.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:53 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

BOO B) is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBOO B) is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBOO B) is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBOO B) is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBOO B) is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I upgraded to sprint 6.1 and used SPB backup. It asks if it's a ROM upgrade there is also a place to select ROM upgrade mode. Everything went fine no issues what so ever. BOO

Last edited by BOO B); 09-02-2008 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: sprint diamond w/ obviously stable rom 7-22
Carrier: sprint

etski is keeping up the good worketski is keeping up the good work

Well, I have info, some answers, some questions.

I had upgraded to sprint 6.1 and then got spb backup. I backed up everything up to my memory card, then this weekend my screen failed. I was able to take a new backup image even with the crappy screen using the backup inititated from PC option.

Today I got a brand new touch from Sprint. I was surprised it was wm6.0, but that gave me lots of questions. What to do first? I decided to put my old memory card in and just try the restore exe. I wasn't sure if it would work considering it was now a ROM downgrade. I selected the option on restore of restore to new device.

It seems great. It restored everything! PIM, documents, logs, even the cube and all my email accounts and programs! When I tried running google maps it of course couldn't find GPS satelites, but I was surprised it even tried!

Now I think I'm going to hard reset and upgrade my ROM and restore again. I just wonder if I should use the pre-release "official -2" version instead of the actual sprint official -4 version. I had a lot better perfomance with the UN"official -2" version. Anyone else have similar experiences?
Old 09-11-2008, 05:33 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul, WM 6.1

GaryK is a n00b

I have used SPB Backup 2.0 to do a full restore after a ROM upgrade from WM 6.0 to 6.1 (via HTC for Sprint Mogul) with the overwrite existing files unchecked. It appears to work OK but it overwrites the ROM description in Settingsevice Information so as to replace the correct newly installed ROM ID with the previous (old) ROM ID. I have an inquiry into SPB to see if they have any useful comments but no response yet. Has anyone had a similar experience?
Old 10-30-2008, 04:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Brent212 is just getting started

I just tried it and it massively failed.

Went from an older stock Sprint ROM that the phone came with, to the new one from the HTC website (http://www.htc.com/us/SupportDownloa...cat=2&dl_id=66).

Using SPB Backup 2.0.1. Made a full backup before the ROM upgrade, ran the restore after the upgrade. When the restore started, I selected ROM upgrade mode. After the restore, it looked like my phone was almost back to the same state it was in before the ROM upgrade. The only differences I noticed at first was the today screen wallpaper was reset and all my start menu shortcuts, which I had organized into subfolders for use with quickmenu, were moved back to the root folder.

But then I discovered that I can't open my contacts. It looks like it tries to open, because an "X" flashes up in the top right corner for a split second, but then it disappears. When I push the green call button, no dial pad opens up. I can't make a phone call! I tried calling myself from my work phone and the call was received, but I couldn't answer it! I also can't use the red button to send it to voice mail. And the number is shown, but my name isn't, like it should be since I had my work phone number in my contacts.

I do have all my text messages, with the names of the contacts in there, so that's good. At first that made me think that my contacts must be okay, but now I'm thinking that the text messages might just have the caller names added to them and it doesn't actually use the contact database to get those names.

So I guess the only thing I can try is to fun the ROM upgrade again. If that works, I might be able to get my contacts back with PIM Backup, since I (luckily) ran a backup with that before I did the ROM upgrade just in case SPB failed.

One thing I was thinking might be able to fix the no calling functionality is if I could get into that system settings thing that come up when you dial ##778#. Maybe the ESN, MSL, or MSID numbers are wrong. I've got the right ones written down, from when I first had to do that when porting my number to sprint. But I can't get to that without the dial pad so...

Update:
The ROM update worked. So now it's back in the stock WM 6.1 ROM state, and I can make and receive calls. I'm going to try the SPB Backup restore one more time with "overwrite existing files" unchecked like GaryK did. If that doesn't work, I'll go with the PIM Backup restore. I'm just dreading installing and configuring everything again. That'll take forever, and I don't even know that I'll remember how I set everything up in the past.

Last edited by Brent212; 10-30-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:14 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

I have had very very good luck using the "ROM upgrade" restore mode with SPB Backup. It almost always works perfectly for me, but I'm never sure if it will work better with the overwrite existing files box checked or not.

I think it depends on the particular ROM you flash to. I have two verizon XV6800's, but I only activate one at a time so I can use the other as a test bed for various ROM's programs etc.

I have a very very complete BU made from a system I was running originally with dcd's 3.2.6 ROM. It has every program known to man installed in it including MSVC working perfectly with blue-tooth etc

I bet I have restored that same BU to 15 different ROM's & it ALWAYS works. The thing is, it sometimes takes a couple tries to get it to work right. I flashed the one 6800 to JD's latest ROM last night as I had never tried that particular ROM before. After I restored that same BU, I got a whole bunch of errors on the next boot & nothing seemed to work quite right. I hard reset the system & restored the BU a 2nd time & after that everything worked perfectly.

I activated that ESN this morning & used the phone all day & it works great. The only things that don't work perfectly are apps that only allow you to run them on one system at a time & are telling me they are "already activated on a different system". KinomaPlay is one app that does that, so does Skyfire (although I'm not sure why they would care)

~John
Old 10-30-2008, 07:17 PM
VIP Member

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

By the way, I also own Sprite & the "ROM upgrade" with that app has NEVER ONCE worked right for me & I've tried it half a dozen times.........

I paid for Sprite & I don't even install it anymore.

~John
Old 10-30-2008, 07:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Brent212 is just getting started

I give up with the SPB restore. Even with "overwrite existing files" unchecked, the result was the same. Maybe it's because I was going from WM 6 to WM 6.1. Even the system fonts were all screwed up. It was weird. Restoring my contacts, appointments, text messages, etc with PIM Backup worked, so that's better than nothing. I still am overwhelmed with all the sh*t I have to install to get it back to the functional beast it was before. So many settings and registry entries to edit...
Old 10-30-2008, 07:45 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent212 View Post
. Maybe it's because I was going from WM 6 to WM 6.1..
I'm sure it is, I would never try to retore to a different OS version.

When I went from WM6 to WM 6.1 I reinstalled everything from scratch (& yes, it can be overwhelming)

~John
Old 03-29-2010, 10:00 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: T-Mobile MDA Compact III
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Imy4life is a n00b

Hi

When restoring using spb backup restore rom upgrade mode... whats the difference between clicking on write over existing files (ticked) or unticked?
Basically Whats the consequences in doing so in either. Which is reccomended to better and why one is better over of the other?

Many Thanks
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue