PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Vogue (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Restore SPB Backup AFTER ROM Upgrade? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35494)

sab0tage 08-22-2008 03:42 PM

Restore SPB Backup AFTER ROM Upgrade?

This might be a dumb question, but after I have updated my ROM from stock Verizon to OMJ ROM, is it safe to use SPB Backup to restore a previous backup I made before the ROM upgrade?

I'm thinking maybe not since i'll now be running wm 6.1.

Geekcop 08-22-2008 04:00 PM

Re: Restore SPB Backup AFTER ROM Upgrade?

I wouldnt do a total b/u, as you're now running WM6.1 and don't want to cause any conflicts between 6.1 and anything that was running under your previous version. However, it's OK to restore your PIM data (contacts, tasks, calendar info) and documents.

speedy1979 08-22-2008 04:15 PM

Don't even think about it. You'll be restoring registry keys relevant to the previuos ROM which could simply slow your device down or worse prevent you from booting up entirely. Depends on what reg. keys were changed. But your better off with a clean install.

You can restore pim info however.

edbro 08-22-2008 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedy1979 (Post 391210)
Don't even think about it.

Too late, he already thought about it. :mrgreen:

TheChampJT 08-22-2008 07:53 PM

I haven't personally done this yet, but I do use Spb Backup, and have done a restore. During the restore, it asks if you have a different ROM version, and asks if it's the same device. There are other options in the ROM restore feature, such as restoring all data, and overwriting ROM files. So you should be safe from the looks of it, I even think restoring to a new ROM was one of there biggest added features.

speedy1979 08-23-2008 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheChampJT (Post 391418)
I haven't personally done this yet, but I do use Spb Backup, and have done a restore. During the restore, it asks if you have a different ROM version, and asks if it's the same device. There are other options in the ROM restore feature, such as restoring all data, and overwriting ROM files. So you should be safe from the looks of it, I even think restoring to a new ROM was one of there biggest added features.

Spritebackup has a similar feature. I remember reading a threacd over at mobilitysite where the op tried restoring from a different device on to there brand new ipaq210. Afterwards the ipaq would not boot even the hard-reset feature wouldn't work.

TheIgster 08-23-2008 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedy1979 (Post 391667)
Spritebackup has a similar feature.

I own Sprite and tried it (their ROM upgrade). Messed things up and never worked right. I sent them a support message through their support system online about issues with my screen being different than what is in the User Guide and problems with the restore.

Never got any response. Guess that's how they treat their paying customers.

lghitis 09-02-2008 12:02 PM

I upgraded to a new rom in my mogul, and did a full restore from spb. Everything works very well, except my e-email account and text message are blocked. Any suggestions?

Csquared 09-02-2008 12:07 PM

I upgraded from official Sprint 6.0 to 6.1 and was not able to do a full restore using SPB. I had to restore my PIM, and contacts and then manualy install all my programs and settings.

My situation was slightly different than yours.

ghostridr 09-02-2008 01:22 PM

I use Sprite back up, when restoring from differing rom versions/OS builds. It gives 2 main options... restore PIM(contacts, calender, notes, etc..), then there is a 2nd option with sub-levels of restoration(level 1,2,3). I only went as fair as level 1, which I believe restores settings and apps from previous backup.

If someone with Sprite backup is brave enough to test out level's 2 or 3, let us know how it goes.