PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue
Carrier: bell

Tony_Montana is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Best turn by turn software? IGO8 Tom Tom? Other?

Hi All,

Im new im wondering if someone out there might be able to help me out. Ive read about all the different turn by turn programs out there. I just want to know what the opinion is from the people that have experience using them.

The ones ive read about are IGO8 and TomTom. Any insight as to wich is better? I live in canada will the maps and directions work here? How do i go about installing one of these programs?

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

Compusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to Compusmurf Send a message via AIM to Compusmurf Send a message via MSN to Compusmurf Send a message via Yahoo to Compusmurf
Re: Best turn by turn software? IGO8 Tom Tom? Other?

I've played with TomTom.

Remember, most/all of these packages use the same map data from 2 or 3 different companies.

So best? Rand McNally road atlas. Not very automated, no turn by turn. hahahaha (Doesn't need power tho)
Old 08-08-2008, 05:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Evo

gammarho55 is keeping up the good workgammarho55 is keeping up the good work

i think this will help... http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=33367
go check it out.

If someone helped you with a problem, hit the thanks button and let them know you appreciate their time.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: diamond
Carrier: sprint

copper rs is a n00b

I'm a big fan of garmin mobile XP. It seems to always lock my GPS in seconds, is accurate and easy to use. It also interfaces nicely with win mobile, so you can easily attach gps points to your contacts. Its not as smooth as iGo but I could never get used to iGo.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:33 PM
Almost a VIP

SprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuff

i recommend igo8. Besides the 3d pretty stuff it just simply works. Garmin XT is ok for the price, but i think its definitely not as easy to use.

First off the searching for POI on Garmin is PAINFULLY slow- it searches 2mi, 6mi, 12mi, 30mi etc then gives the results which can take a minute or two sometimes. On igo8 is basically instant when you type it and shows next to where youre typing how many POI match that spelling. Much much more intuitive and much faster. Ive had some problems with missing POI that igo8 had and Garmin on 2009 maps didnt which is aggravating after moving to a city where i dont know where things are at all.

Second you cant scroll on the map during navigation on Garmin, while on igo8 you can. Very useful if you want to see whats coming up, turns on the route, etc. Another good use is sometimes ill see the overview map and a cross street that looks quicker or to get around something happening on that road, so i can finger scroll on the map ahead a little while routing and see that street and then get rerouted after i make the turn-off.

Finally igo8 can announce the street names by dragging and dropping about 5 files onto your card. Garmin only says turn left/right in x feet. Not very useful if you dont know where you are or never been in that area. Street names are MUCH more useful (ex. "turn right in 400ft onto main st" and you can see the physical street sign for main st.). distances are hard to judge for some people (like whats 700 ft going 45 mph?)

Garmin is nice because it does traffic. I like igo's avoidence settings better though. i can set it to not take me on the highway, on Garmin you cant for some reason- it just has minor and major roads but major roads include bigger city streets too. I dont always think highways are the fastest route or sometimes just dont feel like dealing with highway drivers or going 70mph in pouring rain/bad weather and prefer to stick to side streets.

Igo8 simply gives you many more options, it just lacks traffic. but remember traffic is strictly that- construction or closed roads. it wont pick up the car accident 10 min ago that backs up the road, i dont know how often the traffic is updated in Garmin's system but its not real-time either and mainly good for construction really. so its not all that useful and usually there are signs for construction so you can get off the road and the system reroutes you anyways. The best real-time traffic is still pop on an AM radio station to the news and its up to date

Last edited by SprintTouch08; 08-08-2008 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:39 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch

b0n3 is a n00b

I've tried the big 3 .. I've used Garmin more often because it locks fast without priming the GPS. As far as traffic updates, that I kinda wonder about. Every morning, no matter what, it'll report medium congestion, 45 mph .. never true.
iGo and Tom Tom are kinda of a pain because of the priming .. but after some positive feedback on iGo, I'll have to give it another shot.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:44 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: att tilt nd lovin it
Carrier: att

nismax is a n00b

i say TOMTOM all night. man my advice to you go for tomtom iwe tested it in many different ways and its far best gps software for mobile ( att tilt) interface is not that great but who cares it will give you best coverage and more accurate gps position then garmin igo navigator etc... peace
Old 08-09-2008, 01:34 AM
Almost a VIP

SprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0n3 View Post
I've tried the big 3 .. I've used Garmin more often because it locks fast without priming the GPS. As far as traffic updates, that I kinda wonder about. Every morning, no matter what, it'll report medium congestion, 45 mph .. never true.
iGo and Tom Tom are kinda of a pain because of the priming .. but after some positive feedback on iGo, I'll have to give it another shot.

very simple to solve that. just download astro. its a small .cab files to install and someone here made an igo8 link, just replace the one the igo program installs with the astro one. one click opens astro and igo8 youll never know the difference vs running igo alone. works perfectly.

and to above thats just propaganda. no gps software is "more accurate" than another. gps receiver dictates accuracy. Tomtom is essentially the same software it was 5 years ago, they update it very little and its a decent very basic gps program for a soccer mom but lacks a lot of powerful stuff igo and garmin offer in the newer software for similar prices

Last edited by SprintTouch08; 08-09-2008 at 01:39 AM.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:03 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: sprint

varunb007 is keeping up the good workvarunb007 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintTouch08 View Post
very simple to solve that. just download astro. its a small .cab files to install and someone here made an igo8 link, just replace the one the igo program installs with the astro one. one click opens astro and igo8 youll never know the difference vs running igo alone. works perfectly.

and to above thats just propaganda. no gps software is "more accurate" than another. gps receiver dictates accuracy. Tomtom is essentially the same software it was 5 years ago, they update it very little and its a decent very basic gps program for a soccer mom but lacks a lot of powerful stuff igo and garmin offer in the newer software for similar prices
actually, some software seems to have a little delay in its reading. for example, iguidance is usually a little behind where i actually am whereas destinator keeps up well.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:10 AM
Almost a VIP

of course and itll depend what device you use it on too as to the rendering speeds too. Like is aid i use both XT and igo8 and theyre both smooth in the navigating. GPs is as accurate as the receiver providing the data though, the program just translates that into a dot on the map.

but to say one program is "more accurate" or "better coverage" are totally inaccurate and makes no sense
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue