PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2008, 03:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: VzW 6900
Carrier: vzw

640k is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FINALLY - got GPS working on VZW!!!

I've tried everything. I've been on 1800 different custom kitchens, tried everything everyone said and nothing EVER worked.

I've been playing around with different GPS software (Garmin and TomTom) and thought that Garmin had some special magical power with its intermediate driver that was making GPS work but when I installed TomTom everything went downhill. So I hard-reset, started over and was never able to get another lock again...

...until....

I changed the External GPS settings from 4800 baud to 19200 baud and I get a lock everytime and QUICKLY - like in seconds.

This is the first time I've ever got GPS to work. People on VZW still having problems, try this and report back (make sure you have open sky) and let me know if you get locks.

No priming necessary. I soft-reset, tried again and locked pretty instantly.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:39 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

stifiling is becoming a PPCGeeks regularstifiling is becoming a PPCGeeks regularstifiling is becoming a PPCGeeks regularstifiling is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via Yahoo to stifiling
Re: FINALLY - got GPS working on VZW!!!

which rom exactly did u flash?
Old 07-03-2008, 03:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I'm on JD's clean ROM right now, loaded with every application I can put on there to make it seem like the stock ROM.

I just tested with GPS Viewer at 115,200 and was able to find satellites inside the building.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

btw I realized that changing the baud in the connection settings does nothing.... so maybe i did prime myself without realizing it. howerver I was able to connect with Garmin after a soft-reset and Garmin doesn't allow you to change baud.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Pocket PC: VZW Touch/XV6900
Carrier: VZW

DJuse is a n00b

I had it in 4800 before and it was working fine but taking about 7 minutes to get the satellites signal by changing it to 19200 it got the signal right away!
Thanks for the Tip!
Old 07-04-2008, 12:31 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: vx6900
Carrier: Verizon

arianhojat is just getting started

hmmm ill have to test this later
Old 07-04-2008, 12:40 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo 3D
Carrier: Sprint

negamann is halfway to VIP status based on repnegamann is halfway to VIP status based on repnegamann is halfway to VIP status based on repnegamann is halfway to VIP status based on repnegamann is halfway to VIP status based on repnegamann is halfway to VIP status based on repnegamann is halfway to VIP status based on repnegamann is halfway to VIP status based on repnegamann is halfway to VIP status based on repnegamann is halfway to VIP status based on repnegamann is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to negamann Send a message via MSN to negamann Send a message via Yahoo to negamann

Changing the baud rate is very effective! Just find the best one that works on your system 38400 works great on mine. anything above or below, I begin to lose satellites. Ive had 7 connected satellites at one time so far

Old 07-04-2008, 03:58 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: vx6900

arianhojat is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by negamann View Post
Changing the baud rate is very effective! Just find the best one that works on your system 38400 works great on mine. anything above or below, I begin to lose satellites. Ive had 7 connected satellites at one time so far
i think you are right about the baud rate. just this rate just mean it updates /gets more info faster?

btw tested OMJs rom, didnt get one lock after leaving it on, soft reseting, or taking out battery, unfortunate. Ghettos rom provided very quick locks so far at home, like 5 seconds the first time and 3-30s after. but the real test if testing outside of home when i really need it, and where it usually never worked hehe. anyway Internet Connection Sharing also worked out of the box so i recommend his rom. just needs some tweeks. havent tried JDs newest rom yet.

i used Quick GPS initially i think to update sat info. GPS Speed Sentry or latest Holux GPS Viewer on their website to prime for google maps/live search.
i always see the GpsViewer.PPC300_2577.cab which i think is the 1200 1.5 version i saw posted in this thread... but i was tempted and used this one that doesnt look like it is for PPC that i saw on Holux's website and it ran on my vx6900 and it worked/looks better, i think it was released a few days ago...
http://www.holux.com/JCore/en/suppor...le/8176849.rar
note once GPSViewer gets a lock, it always freezes the screen on my system. so u can tell by looking at the time and noticing its frozen. I usually tab to Setup and back to GPS status to see updated lock. EDIT: GPS Speed Sentry gives me quickest locks so far. GPSViewer looks like its misbehaving a lil'.

Last edited by arianhojat; 07-04-2008 at 04:15 AM.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: CDMA Touch Pro 2

sfetaz is just getting started

I have a problem where whenever I attempt to change the hardware port or baud rate in my xv6800's external GPS settings, it does not save. It just goes back to none and 4800. I know it should be set to none for hardware port but I am just making the point that this occurs. When I change the program port it does save.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:45 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

You won't be able to change it there. I posted that above. As long as the program port is on COM4 you should be fine.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue