PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2008, 12:31 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New GPS Behavior with new Sprint ROM

A couple times I've noticed that when I start GPSGate for iGuidance a Data Connection is started. I kind of noticed it the other day but didn't think much of it. Well I had not used the GPS for a couple days and ran into traffic today. I fire up GPSGate and there starts a new Data connection. It had a GPS Lock as soon as iGudance started.

I've done nothing at all special. All stock. I don't prime, I didn't do anything in registry, I don't confugure that WM GPS thingy. I just use Google Maps with default settings, iGuidance with Default settings and GPS Gate mapped from "WM GPS" to "COM1 Full Nema" as I have done with all the ROMs. I was not running google maps in this case which always makes a data connection for maps.

It does not appear to do it every time. Sometimes I do have to wait for sats (like the old ROMs). But sometimes even on a dead cold start the assist does the right thing and you get instant lock. The old ROMs never did this for me.

By the way I did make the suggested registry change for tethering "Phone as modem" to "Sprint PCS". But when GPSGate triggers the GPS to make a data connection it says "Phone as modem".
Old 06-30-2008, 01:00 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Sprint

specv is becoming a great contributor
Re: New GPS Behavior with new Sprint ROM

yea the beta rom worked like poop. When i started up the new tom tom 7 after installing it on the new rom, it locked in my house in like 5 seconds. I always fell over. I had to soft reset and try it again to be sure. But I have to say the stock rom as-is gets GPS locks just as good as any portable GPS device I have used
Old 06-30-2008, 01:17 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

sheureka is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
A couple times I've noticed that when I start GPSGate for iGuidance a Data Connection is started. I kind of noticed it the other day but didn't think much of it. Well I had not used the GPS for a couple days and ran into traffic today. I fire up GPSGate and there starts a new Data connection. It had a GPS Lock as soon as iGudance started..
GPSGate always starts a data connection for me, too, but I thought it was because I send data to online.gpsgate.com for tracking.

I'm not ready to give up my bt puck yet, but I'm very pleased with the way the builtin gps is working. I'm doing a 1200 mile trip this week, so I'll see how well it holds up with that kind of activity.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:24 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc vogue

xteoos is a n00b

Very interesting,anyway do you have sprint vision plan?
I don't have vision plan so anytime I use gps viewer data connection kick in and start to dial #777 3 times then ask to hit End button to terminate the call.
Once it terminated then GPs start to search then lock in.
Could every1 know how to get rid of data connection search #777 ??
For now I have to turn phone off during GPS seaching and turn phone back on when gps get locked.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:51 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium
Threadstarter

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff

Search for GPSMode in this forum and in your registry. Most people are experimenting with different data modes (2 or 4) if I recall. In your case you might try 0 or 1 (no assist). Yes I have vision.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue