PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2008, 05:25 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch, PPC6700, HTC Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

RichardManciniJr is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Video Fix for the Touch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepluvr View Post
Does anyone know if there is a 4 or 6 sided cube for the Verizon 6900 (touch)? Also, I am able to log onto YouTube, but cannot get the video's to play via my media player. Does anyone know how to allow this? Thanks in advance!
Please search the forums before posting...
Old 05-18-2008, 05:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint SERO

Nobi125 is just getting started

Very interesting, can't wait to hear what our experts here have to say.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 / Rhodium

Hugo381 is keeping up the good workHugo381 is keeping up the good work

are these supposed to be the drivers that we need for the video part of our phones that HTC doesnt want to pay for?
Old 05-19-2008, 03:55 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Treo 700wx/Mogul/TouchPro/TouchPro2/EVO rooted

itsall_cooool is keeping up the good workitsall_cooool is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo381 View Post
are these supposed to be the drivers that we need for the video part of our phones that HTC doesnt want to pay for?
HTC, Verizon, Sprint....

This is an old story and there are tons of info about it... there was even a class action organization threatening to sue HTC. Silly, because HTC never claimed to have or provide the drivers, Qualcomm never claimed to have provided them, and none of the device carriers claimed they were included.

Basically, no one ordered the video drivers for the hardware included in the Qualcomm chipset so they were never created. Qualcomm wont produce them for the public because HTC is their customer, HTC won't pay for them because Sprint, Verizon (and all other carriers using devices with the chipset) are their customers... and apparently (rightly so) none of the above would care to piss off their main customers. We end users have no say in the matter.

At this point the costs would be huge because the Carriers would need to prepare upgrades/upgrade support/upgrade documentation/tech support training, etc etc. for every device that would get the upgrade. Since most devices are replaced by newer models within a year or two, no one wants to pay the price, and, according to public responses issued by HTC, its not a simple matter of just dropping dll's into a folder, its a major code re-write, so we are probably talking about Rom upgrades for a zillion different devices which use the chipset.

I am not defending any of these actions, just giving my interpretation of all the info I have seen over the past months. I am sure that when a newer, snappier device comes out I will be one of the first in line to shell out money for one, but you can bet I will read the specs more carefully this time around !!

Last edited by itsall_cooool; 05-19-2008 at 04:00 AM.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:55 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: VzW 6900
Carrier: vzw

640k is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsall_cooool View Post
HTC, Verizon, Sprint....

This is an old story and there are tons of info about it... there was even a class action organization threatening to sue HTC. Silly, because HTC never claimed to have or provide the drivers, Qualcomm never claimed to have provided them, and none of the device carriers claimed they were included.

Basically, no one ordered the video drivers for the hardware included in the Qualcomm chipset so they were never created. Qualcomm wont produce them for the public because HTC is their customer, HTC won't pay for them because Sprint, Verizon (and all other carriers using devices with the chipset) are their customers... and apparently (rightly so) none of the above would care to piss off their main customers. We end users have no say in the matter.

At this point the costs would be huge because the Carriers would need to prepare upgrades/upgrade support/upgrade documentation/tech support training, etc etc. for every device that would get the upgrade. Since most devices are replaced by newer models within a year or two, no one wants to pay the price, and, according to public responses issued by HTC, its not a simple matter of just dropping dll's into a folder, its a major code re-write, so we are probably talking about Rom upgrades for a zillion different devices which use the chipset.

I am not defending any of these actions, just giving my interpretation of all the info I have seen over the past months. I am sure that when a newer, snappier device comes out I will be one of the first in line to shell out money for one, but you can bet I will read the specs more carefully this time around !!
I've read this exact argument over at xda. The issue wasn't that the drivers weren't provided so much as it was that informed buyers were purchasing these devices based on assumptions made from blanket statements by HTC and the abilities of the internal workings (Qualcomm chipsets).

I think if both HTC and Qualcomm were a little more careful about how they built these devices, this wouldn't be an issue and people wouldn't have been so quick as to snatch them up.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:34 PM
ppc pimp. :D
Pocket PC: Apache/Mogul/Touch/TouchPro/TouchPro2/EVO!!!

deck is a trusted member of the communitydeck is a trusted member of the communitydeck is a trusted member of the communitydeck is a trusted member of the communitydeck is a trusted member of the communitydeck is a trusted member of the communitydeck is a trusted member of the communitydeck is a trusted member of the communitydeck is a trusted member of the communitydeck is a trusted member of the communitydeck is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to deck Send a message via MSN to deck Send a message via Yahoo to deck

Ok just a quick update, This driver DOES NOT work on a Vogue (Sprint Touch). I cooked it into a rom last night, and was unable to click the screen to setup device. aka, no working driver. Im sure it has to be modified in some way before we would really be able to cook it into a rom for the vogue.

-deck
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: VzW 6900
Carrier: vzw

640k is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by deck View Post
Ok just a quick update, This driver DOES NOT work on a Vogue (Sprint Touch). I cooked it into a rom last night, and was unable to click the screen to setup device. aka, no working driver. Im sure it has to be modified in some way before we would really be able to cook it into a rom for the vogue.

-deck
The zip almost looks like a stripped CAB. I thought about building it into one, but didn't want to brick my phone.

Anyone else want to try?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:19 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Threadstarter

slypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deck View Post

-deck
THanks for the update deck. I think its safe to say that the files cannot be used as is because it will brick your phone.

PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL THESE FILES UNLESS YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH THE FACT THAT YOUR PHONE MAY BECOME UNUSABLE aka A BRICK.

-s

Funniest thread ever!!

Don't just SAY "Thanks" PRESS ... Try it, it only takes a second!
Old 05-20-2008, 03:32 AM
Lurker

xangma is a n00b

Done, it works for me =)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=393387
Old 05-20-2008, 04:57 AM
ppc pimp. :D
Pocket PC: Apache/Mogul/Touch/TouchPro/TouchPro2/EVO!!!

deck is a trusted member of the communitydeck is a trusted member of the communitydeck is a trusted member of the communitydeck is a trusted member of the communitydeck is a trusted member of the communitydeck is a trusted member of the communitydeck is a trusted member of the communitydeck is a trusted member of the communitydeck is a trusted member of the communitydeck is a trusted member of the communitydeck is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to deck Send a message via MSN to deck Send a message via Yahoo to deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by xangma View Post
on a vogue/touch? we are not on a touch dual or a kaiser (which that thread is about).

-deck
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue