PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Which one do you have?
Mogul type with great viewing angle 84 60.00%
Terrible one with absolutely a small viewing angle 56 40.00%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2008, 11:54 PM
Almost a VIP

SprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Is you Touch screen terrible?

was one thread on this not enough to start on the SAME exact topic and rant?
Old 05-04-2008, 12:34 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: mogul

jamesjay is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by htcuser View Post
Well that video is not bad. It truly shows the polarization when its tilted. Specially you can notice it it you tilt it upwards or downwards, and it starts almost as soon as you begin to tilt it. If you have a good screen you don't see polarization until maybe 40 degrees or so. Put it this way.... if your touch looks like the Moguls screen when tilted (no polarization) then you have a good screen. jamesjay, if your touch does look like the one on that video then consider yourself one of the unlucky ones that got the terrible screen.
lol dude you had me totally confused. scroll up. i asked if anyone could make a video of the better one. You had me thinking that was the better one the whole time. The reason i asked is i have a suspicion sprint tried to cut back cost, but someone in the other thread said he saw a good sprint screen and i never have. Speaking of the other thread you might want to change the title of one of these as "delete me". It's better to consolidate the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwing View Post
Edit: Honestly I don't think it's an issue of the actual LCD panel; I think it is caused by the hard plastic digitizer about the LCD; perhaps something to do with the way the plastic was extruded; in effect polarizing it. Just a thought; what do you guys think?
I really doubt that. The plastic touch sensor would cause glare not polarization. There are many different kinds of lcd's. The kind i have on my touch is almost definately a TN.

Last edited by jamesjay; 05-04-2008 at 12:43 AM.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:18 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Rev A. Enabled
Carrier: Sprint

jstout1980 is a n00b

I got my touch at launch and one of my employees got his recently and I did like his screen better, so I went thru our inventory and all of them other than his had the crappy screen. The MFG date doesnt seem to matter and the ESN's were in sequential order with the good one and the bad ones. Im still looking for a nicer one and we sell about 20 or so a week. Maybe they just use mogul screens when they run out or have multiple vendors. When I find a good one I will take it apart to see who made the screen compared to the crappier version and report back. Keeping my fingers crossed!
All custom GFX
Old 05-04-2008, 01:27 AM
Banned User
Threadstarter

htcuser is just getting started

Quote:
This sucks...I'm the one that made the video btw.
We should be able to complain to Sprint or HTC; but first we need some cold hard evidence to prove our point. I've got the video down of the "bad" screen; can we please get a video of the "good" screen now?
Thanks

I agree totally, we need to get another video Sprint touch with a none polarizing screen.

Edit: Honestly I don't think it's an issue of the actual LCD panel; I think it is caused by the hard plastic digitizer about the LCD; perhaps something to do with the way the plastic was extruded; in effect polarizing it. Just a thought; what do you guys think?
I took apart on touch to get to the bottom of this. I took the housing off and had the screen exposed. I noticed a film that was glued on the LCD screen. It looked like a screen protector but only a bit thicker. I immediately thought it was the digitazer. I got a exacto knife and slowly peeled the corner and noticed it was glued on really good. So i slow pulled and pulled. Eventually I managed to get the whole thing off. I was happy thinking I solved the whole polarazing problem. I put the whole thing back together and turned it on. Guess what? The whole damn screen was WHITE. No image at all. I thought I ruined it. But then I noticed that there was a image on it still.. just faint. SO i grabbed the film that I peeled off and placed it over and "bam!" there was the image normal again. turned out that the film was just a light filter. The same as what you put on you car windows to darken the windows. LOL. The polarizing effect is still there even with the film off because if i tile the screen I can see the image change even with that dark filter off. SO i concluded it must be the screen itself. Unless I strip down the screen further more maybe I could find out the problem. But I hate to ruin a good phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintTouch08 View Post
was one thread on this not enough to start on the SAME exact topic and rant?
Dont like it? Simple. Get out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjay View Post
lol dude you had me totally confused. scroll up. i asked if anyone could make a video of the better one. You had me thinking that was the better one the whole time. The reason i asked is i have a suspicion sprint tried to cut back cost, but someone in the other thread said he saw a good sprint screen and i never have. Speaking of the other thread you might want to change the title of one of these as "delete me". It's better to consolidate the information.

Sorry for the confusion. I think that Sprint did cut cost and ordered a cheap batch for some off its customers.

I really doubt that. The plastic touch sensor would cause glare not polarization. There are many different kinds of lcd's. The kind i have on my touch is almost definately a TN.
Yes, this is definately like a TN panel screen. I have a nice NEC flatscreen monitor thats a ISP panel. Those are super.. they are very similar like the Moguls screen. You can view it at any angle.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:02 AM
Banned User
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstout1980 View Post
I got my touch at launch and one of my employees got his recently and I did like his screen better, so I went thru our inventory and all of them other than his had the crappy screen. The MFG date doesnt seem to matter and the ESN's were in sequential order with the good one and the bad ones. Im still looking for a nicer one and we sell about 20 or so a week. Maybe they just use mogul screens when they run out or have multiple vendors. When I find a good one I will take it apart to see who made the screen compared to the crappier version and report back. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Very interresting... I will keep my fingers and toes crossed.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:11 AM
rdwing

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

thanks for the hands on research htcuser, this is the kind of stuff we need. hopefully we can get to the bottom of this soon.
oh, and my 22 incher is a TN, it looks fine so that's no excuse.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:35 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: mogul

jamesjay is a n00b

Quote:
thanks for the hands on research htcuser, this is the kind of stuff we need. hopefully we can get to the bottom of this soon.
oh, and my 22 incher is a TN, it looks fine so that's no excuse.
try looking at your monitor from the bottom.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:40 AM
Banned User
Threadstarter

From my experience. Most TN panels are terrible are viewing angle. I misquoted earlier.. my NEC is a S-IPS panel. Google Tn and S-IPS and you can rwad on it.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:47 AM
rdwing

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I know what both terms mean, and in spite of the panel being TN viewing angle is excellent on my desktop.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:41 AM
Banned User
Threadstarter

Quote:
I know what both terms mean, and in spite of the panel being TN viewing angle is excellent on my desktop.
your correct. you probably have a good quality panel. But most Tn paneld do have a limited viewing angle.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue