PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2008, 09:57 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue/Sprint Touch
Carrier: Sprint

mrgeoff is keeping up the good workmrgeoff is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to mrgeoff
Quote:
Originally Posted by saumaun View Post
Wait - page pool takes away from RAM and adds to storage? I thought it was the other way around...

Wow! Is there a name for what I was thinking of (besides wishful thinking)
I think this is the simplest explanation that I can find...

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...15&postcount=2
Old 01-31-2008, 02:13 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre
Carrier: sprint

diomark is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardiomark is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardiomark is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post

I don't think that explanation is right, is it?

My understanding was that pagepool comes out of RAM memory, not storage memory...
-mark
Old 01-31-2008, 02:51 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level
Quote:

Oh ok, so I wasn't wrong!

So pretty much the only way of doing this is BEFORE you install a ROM or kitchen on your device, right?

Not to be completely noobish, but is there a similar possibility on the mogul?

And will your phone become unstable if you have a 32MB pagepool? Because I have about 50MB of internal storage available, and RAM is MUCH MORE VALUABLE than the internal mem.

TIA
Old 01-31-2008, 04:44 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by diomark View Post
I don't think that explanation is right, is it?

My understanding was that pagepool comes out of RAM memory, not storage memory...
-mark
You are correct, it does come out of the RAM. It is a cache that is in the RAM, not the storage memory. That's why everything that mentions a pagepool edit warns that available RAM will decrease by increasing the pagepool size.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:21 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul (PPC6800) > HTC Touch (PPC6900) > HTC Touch Pro (PPC6850)
Carrier: Sprint Sero (1200 Min Plan)

divxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to divxrippimp Send a message via MSN to divxrippimp Send a message via Yahoo to divxrippimp Send a message via Skype™ to divxrippimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2561 View Post
i think the max is 64mb actually and...i have been to afraid to try it as thats more than a little high...not to mention dharveys suggestion that taking this much away from ram may prevent the device from even booting up.

wouldnt hurt to try though! im going to sometime soon, dont know when though as im about to try jd's custom touch rom for a while

Can you explain how to make a larger than 12 mb page file?
All these apps only come with up to 12, and i cant find instructions on how to write a larger one...
Old 01-31-2008, 06:46 PM
Almost a VIP

divxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to divxrippimp Send a message via MSN to divxrippimp Send a message via Yahoo to divxrippimp Send a message via Skype™ to divxrippimp
I did the 12, it seems to have helped... i wanna try 24 just for fun ... if someone wouldn't mind telling me how to write a new .nb file, or point me to who i should talk to...
Old 01-31-2008, 07:36 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by divxrippimp View Post
I did the 12, it seems to have helped... i wanna try 24 just for fun ... if someone wouldn't mind telling me how to write a new .nb file, or point me to who i should talk to...
I've read that 12 is the default pagepool for Sprint's ROM. I am currently running a 16MB pagepool. It seems to help things out.

If you are used/comfortable to flashing ROMs to your device, you can used the attached file. Before you run the RUU... run the file, select the nbh you are going to flash, choose the pagepool size you want, change to + close, and flash. That is what I am using, I don't like the AS method of pagepool changing. I couldn't get it to work well when I had my Titan.
Attached Files
File Type: zip PagePool_Changer.zip (150.8 KB, 93 views) Click for barcode!
Old 01-31-2008, 08:37 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch HD (Blackstone)
Carrier: T-Mobile US
Threadstarter

jim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuff
Quote:
Wait - page pool takes away from RAM and adds to storage? I thought it was the other way around...
sorry to confuse, but no, it doesnt add to storage. just takes it from program memory RAM and adds it to the pp. storage is not affected...i think.

Quote:
Wow! Is there a name for what I was thinking of (besides wishful thinking)
and yes haha, its called wm2003se
Old 01-31-2008, 09:13 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch HD (Blackstone)
Carrier: T-Mobile US
Threadstarter

jim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuff
Quote:
I've read that 12 is the default pagepool for Sprint's ROM. I am currently running a 16MB pagepool. It seems to help things out.

If you are used/comfortable to flashing ROMs to your device, you can used the attached file. Before you run the RUU... run the file, select the nbh you are going to flash, choose the pagepool size you want, change to + close, and flash. That is what I am using, I don't like the AS method of pagepool changing. I couldn't get it to work well when I had my Titan.
and divxrippimp, as for how to get it above 12mb, you have to alter a roms pp, then flash the new rom to your device. that can be a pain, but comes with benefits too.

the above is the tool im using. your best bet may be to just download blee's kitchen, and take a look at his readme. then you can make your rom a little more customized, plus change the pp.

good luck.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:03 AM
Almost a VIP

do geoff or jim have aim accounts?
Id love to talk to you guys for a little bit if you have some time!
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue