PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2008, 03:44 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC touch
Carrier: Sprint

suzannaski is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Weather application - Add cities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassOverflow View Post
It says "Attempting to download data..."
Then it says "Unable to retrieve data for selected city. Select here to retry."
So I select it and it does the same thing. I added the city and zip in HHC.
I got that too, and a soft reset after turning on roam fixed it. Don't forget the phone runs on a windows platform, and when all else fails, restart!
Old 02-27-2008, 08:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

BassOverflow is a n00b

i still can't get it to work
Old 03-03-2008, 05:07 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: none
Carrier: att

OneOfOne is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via ICQ to OneOfOne

it only works here sporadically. there seems to be a limit to how much time it works. and usually only after yet another soft reset. looks like weather panel will have to substitute.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:26 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: 6700

macejsc is a n00b

Here's what I have found out:

This I know works on a HTC Apache with Helmi's WM 6.0 with ACCUWEATHER 1.0 on it.
To get the weather this is what I had to do:
Setup your data connection to require you to enter the password (if you don't know how see below)
Plug in your phone to active sync let it start to sync and finish
Make sure your PC is connected to the internet
While it's still connected to the internet & your phone is to the PC
Click your weather plugin to update the weather
When the data connection pops up asking for your password click cancel
Give it time and it should update

It worked on mine, even by changing cities a few times.

To Set your Data connection to ask for a password:
Go to Settings --> connections tab-->Connections
Select Manage Existing Connections under your Internet provider connection
Click Edit with your Data connection link selected
Click Next
Click Next
Then you should be at your Username/Password/ & domain screen
Delete your password and click finish

REMEMBER TO ADD THIS BACK IN AFTERWARDS IF YOU DO NOT WANT IT TO PROMPT YOU EACH TIME FOR NOW ON

I've looked into trying to go through the registry to change the city on my Apache, but so far to no avail. I can get the name to change and everything, but there is a city index that controls your information on the weather, so if that doesn't match the city you change to you won't get any info.

Here's the path if going through the registry editor:

HKLM\Software\HTC\HTCHOME\WEATHER\SETTINGS\
CITYINDEX = Custom number from Accuweather for your city
Location = City, COUNTRY (For example: Dallas, US)
LocationCODE = NAM|COUNTRY|STATE|CITY (Example: NAM|US|TX|DALLAS)

To find your Location Code go to www.accuweather.com
put in your city and search for it
the last little bit of the URL is the Location Code which should look like the info above.

I honestly don't know how to find the cityindex or I'd post that too. I know a few codes, but I'm not sure how they get that number. Short of calling Accuweather and asking them about it I don't know what to tell you.

City codes available are only from switching to that city and looking in the registry:
Dallas, TX = 659
Shreveport, LA = 2548

Hope this helps some of you

Last edited by macejsc; 05-06-2008 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Added a few city codes (very few) & minor info
Old 05-06-2008, 04:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Alltel

armus is becoming a great contributor

been strugling with this for a few weeks. this post inspired me to try again. The problem I had is I was using a form of multi-tab home plugin. I was using Schen's 2.1 cause i wanted five tabs and this just won't work on the Touch (see below). To make it work, I copied over my stock home dll, ran the patch program (with modifications, it does not run stock and needs an update on the batch programs, see below). Got the new home dll, installed. edited the city list and actually figured out how (have to really read those instructions) and bam it worked. Down side is, now I am back to 4 tabs.

to correct the bat program/patcher, you have to have two copies of the dll in the folder. one in the tools folder named unpatched.dll and another in the main folder as standard htchome.dll. can also monkey around with the batch file to remove the file check - that's what i did.

Real problem is, to use Schen or other home apps, they put the weather.xml file into a directory I've heard called HTCHOME persumably in the windows directory. When you load anything like Schen it checks for the file in the directory (i think) and therefore won't load your edited copy. If someone knows how to bypass this, please post as I'd like to have my tabs back. (HHC customizer doesnt seem to add tabs to the stock Alltel roms)
Old 05-06-2008, 05:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Alltel

armus is becoming a great contributor

ok i added the HTCHome directory and put a copy of my edited xml file in it. I had limited luck. The old city loaded from the stock Home plugin came over to the new Schen plugin and worked, but when I went to change cities, my custom city was not listed. And with no way to cancel the app, it overwrote my custom city. So now I have to go back and change it all again. This would be much easier if I could figure out where the Schen plugin was looking for the xml file and what the file is suppose to be named
Old 05-08-2008, 12:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: mogul ppc 6800 & Touch

kcaegis45 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by armus View Post
ok i added the HTCHome directory and put a copy of my edited xml file in it. I had limited luck. The old city loaded from the stock Home plugin came over to the new Schen plugin and worked, but when I went to change cities, my custom city was not listed. And with no way to cancel the app, it overwrote my custom city. So now I have to go back and change it all again. This would be much easier if I could figure out where the Schen plugin was looking for the xml file and what the file is suppose to be named
Schen weather file is in under My Device>HTCHOME. In HTCHOME, there's a file called HH_0409_WeatherCities. This is the file you need to modify.
See this thread as I give instructions on how to add/modify.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...ight=kcaegis45

If this helped anyone, please give me a THANKS
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:10 PM
The Admin-Ninja
Pocket PC: Note 2; Note 10.1

NinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

None of the fixes seem to work for me. I can get my city to show up.... but it can never connect to actually get the weather.
Earned my Brown Belt..."Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them: A desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill."
Muhammad Ali
Old 10-29-2008, 03:17 PM
Chillin'
Pocket PC: Evolved....

hooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rep

there is always this thread which allows your custom cities plus if its not on there conflipper is always more then willing to add your city...
Old 10-30-2008, 02:27 PM
the World Watcher
Pocket PC: LG Optimus

strra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to strra

i've tried the above methods with no luck. one just doesn't connect and the other freezes wm6.1 completely on startup. so i took the weather tab off using HHC and i use weatherbug
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue