PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2008, 01:58 AM
N00b

jamez243 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Updated GPS Drivers (Possible Fix For Standby Issues)

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerblink View Post
okay . . . i have an xv6900 and i was previously able to get my GPS located on com4, but never got a lock . . . so i tried these drivers and tells me there's now GPS located at all! what the deuce? i've done all the roms and i'm using the OMJ 6.1 . . . any suggestions?
I know we are total noobs and probably shouldn't of done that but my gps isn't listing when I go into GPS Viewer scan either
Old 07-31-2008, 01:16 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Verizon

fldash is a n00b

I think I may have found a bug with these drivers, or maybe I just had weird luck. I had disabled my location setting on my Phone to save battery while at work, when I went to get into my car, I enabled it and started my GPS up. I saw that it was polling a few satellites but would not get a lock... While it was searching, it ended up shutting off (screen went off), I hit the power key and it automatically locked onto 4/5 satellites...

I think this driver specifically modified what happens when the phone comes out of that standby mode...

I'm a newbie, so I'm just posting for reference and so it can maybe be looked into if it's deemed necessary.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:21 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: P100EWW
Carrier: Sprint

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldash View Post
I think I may have found a bug with these drivers, or maybe I just had weird luck. I had disabled my location setting on my Phone to save battery while at work, when I went to get into my car, I enabled it and started my GPS up. I saw that it was polling a few satellites but would not get a lock... While it was searching, it ended up shutting off (screen went off), I hit the power key and it automatically locked onto 4/5 satellites...

I think this driver specifically modified what happens when the phone comes out of that standby mode...

I'm a newbie, so I'm just posting for reference and so it can maybe be looked into if it's deemed necessary.

What do you mean, "started my GPS up?" What program?

There are some programs that will keep the system power on, but turn off the screen... Like LiveSearch... if your system is set to power off, it will just shut off the screen, and sometimes you can easily tell because the keys are still lit up.

For me, on the ROM I'm running, it just stays on the whole time I am using GPS in LiveSearch...
Old 07-31-2008, 01:35 PM
N00b

fldash is a n00b

Interesting... I just got my phone Monday so pardon my ignorance.

I was running Google Maps (which was searching) and Holux GPS Viewer was also searching. Holux was up on the screen when the display went off. I immediately reached over and hit the power button and got a lock.

Last edited by fldash; 07-31-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:46 PM
VIP Member

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff

Quote:
Interesting... I just got my phone Monday so pardon my ignorance.

I was running Google Maps (which was searching) and Holux GPS Viewer was also searching. Holux was up on the screen when the display went off. I immediately reached over and hit the power button and got a lock.
Normally when the unit TRULY powers off during GPS usage, you lose the signal... The GPSOne chip seems to "freak out," as well. You have to soft-reset most of the time to get GPS to work again.

I have to say, that if you have the right ROM, and the right configuration, your GPS should lock on well before the unit powers down in the 30 or 60 seconds it is set to...
Old 07-31-2008, 03:01 PM
N00b

fldash is a n00b

Well I can randomly get fast locks, sometimes it takes longer... It seemed to be improved with these updated drivers, but who knows after what happened at lunch. I'm currently using GPSMode = 2 in my registry, instead of 4. But since it's been working, I figured I'd stick with it. I thought there were accuracy issues as you moved up the chain... GPSMode = 1 being most accurate, 4 being the least.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:15 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Well I can randomly get fast locks, sometimes it takes longer... It seemed to be improved with these updated drivers, but who knows after what happened at lunch. I'm currently using GPSMode = 2 in my registry, instead of 4. But since it's been working, I figured I'd stick with it. I thought there were accuracy issues as you moved up the chain... GPSMode = 1 being most accurate, 4 being the least.
I can't say I ever noticed a difference between 2 and 4... and since the OFFICIAL Sprint ROM uses 2, you would think they would use the best setting for A-GPS.. since they sell GPS navigation software...

hard to say though...
Old 07-31-2008, 05:05 PM
N00b

fldash is a n00b

On my way home, it did it again...

Started Holux, it had several satellites in view, a few over 30 on the rating, and no lock... as soon as the screen went black, I hit the power button and got a lock.

I then let it set for a while, closed the port in Holux, turned off the Touch via the power button, waited 30 seconds, turned it back on, re-opened the port in Holux and got an almost immediate lock.

Next, with the port still open in Holux, I turned of the Touch via the power button, waited 30 seconds and turned it back on. Holux wouldn't update at all, so I closed the port, and tried to re-open it and got nothing. I then did a 'Scan' to find the GPS and it failed.

I then ran the GPSKickStart application and tried again to open the port. Again, nothing happened. Only way to fix was a soft reset.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:15 AM
Lurker

balla48801 is a n00b

ok i may be a noob but i have the same problem as most w/ it going to sleep and then never finding the sat when i wake up in the morning.

i use astrogps and tomtom 7. i loadedth .cab from this and deleted the htc 1,2,3 program i had before. Now i cant get a signal to save my life. i have the latest allel stock rom.

what am i doing wrong? btw im using a 6800

any help thanks
Old 08-01-2008, 12:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: bell.ca

tichi is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
Normally when the unit TRULY powers off during GPS usage, you lose the signal... The GPSOne chip seems to "freak out," as well. You have to soft-reset most of the time to get GPS to work again.
it is very irregular... my experience is that sometimes GPS
can work nicely through many powe-off`s , and only later on
it freaks out ...

also it seems to me that it is somehow related to the sensitivity of GPS chip - that it loses at some point, and satellites become all below 30 dB..
and is not able to move on to the new satellites, other than those that it had been locked on before ...

is this software or hardware-related?
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development