PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2009, 07:52 AM
Lurker

muskie08 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Sprint TP on Verizon UPDATE! (NO LONGER WORKING)

Hi all, Can someone tell me if I activate a sprint or alltel smartphone like the TP on my verizon account, would I need the data plan? I don't want it, I just like the phones.

Last edited by muskie08; 04-21-2009 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:34 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskie08 View Post
would I need the data plan? I don't want it, I just like the phones.
All new Verizon PPC's need a data plan, it is required now.

~John
Old 04-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: verizon vx6800
Carrier: verizon

loungebear is a n00b

It seems that you cannot activate a sprint TP on verizon. I had one running and had to reactivate and I've been waiting for over a month to get the ESN number added to verizons database. I finally caved and purchased a verizon touch pro.

O.K. I have to say this. After flashing with one of the kitchens at sskusers.com the performance on the VZW touch pro is fine with me. I like the keyboard better than the sprint model. O.K. the arrow keys are in a bad place but the keys are larger than the sprint keyboard and I have very large hands. So I can type pretty fast on the verizon model. The ram is running at 30 to 40 megs free and that is aparently good enough for me.

Now, don't flame me for not saying the verizon TP sucks, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

Cheers.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Lurker

muskie08 is a n00b

I want to get a sprint touch pro and use it on my verizon acct. Can I clone the esn from my cheapo samsung flipphone into the pro and use it like its still my samsung? will that work? I don't have a data plan either so i dont need to worry about it not working. Will verizon be able to tell its a touch pro if i do that?
Old 04-21-2009, 11:03 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Quote:
I want to get a sprint touch pro and use it on my verizon acct. Can I clone the esn from my cheapo samsung flipphone into the pro and use it like its still my samsung? will that work? I don't have a data plan either so i dont need to worry about it not working. Will verizon be able to tell its a touch pro if i do that?
i don't want to be the bad guy but cloning is illegal and any talk about it here will get you banned.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:11 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Alltel Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

AceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuff

Quote:
Hi all, Can someone tell me if I activate a sprint or alltel smartphone like the TP on my verizon account, would I need the data plan? I don't want it, I just like the phones.
Quote:
Yes, as stated earlier, all new PDA's released after Nov 23rd (or there abouts) 2008 require a data plan. Even if you have a Sprint or Alltel TP, it will be loaded in the DMD as a VZW TP therefore bound by that requirement. Yeah, and no cloning.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:32 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

TPMJB is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceXMachine View Post
Yeah, and no cloning.
On a side note, is this whole "esn is a dirty word" really necessary? Sure it's illegal, but if you're cloning the esn of a phone for perfectly legitimate reasons (I.E don't want Verizon bending you over every time you get a new phone) is it really a problem? Have people even been brought to court for this within the last 10 years?
Old 04-27-2009, 12:33 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Carrier: Sprint

badutahboy is keeping up the good workbadutahboy is keeping up the good workbadutahboy is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPMJB View Post
On a side note, is this whole "esn is a dirty word" really necessary? Sure it's illegal, but if you're cloning the esn of a phone for perfectly legitimate reasons (I.E don't want Verizon bending you over every time you get a new phone) is it really a problem? Have people even been brought to court for this within the last 10 years?
Illegal is illegal, and once you start tolerating talk of how to clone ESN's, you suddenly have become "the place" where people with bad intentions come to learn how to do it.

Here's a perfect example of why it shouldn't be allowed...

I have an old Samsung A900 sitting around... If this site allows talk of how to clone ESN's, what's to stop me from taking the ESN from that A900, cloning it onto my TP, and then selling the A900? Voila.. free service for my TP.. at least for outgoing calls and data...
Old 04-27-2009, 12:38 PM
N00b

TPMJB is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by badutahboy View Post
I have an old Samsung A900 sitting around... If this site allows talk of how to clone ESN's, what's to stop me from taking the ESN from that A900, cloning it onto my TP, and then selling the A900? Voila.. free service for my TP.. at least for outgoing calls and data...
Except that throws a red flag at the fcc fairly easily...
Old 04-27-2009, 12:40 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Carrier: Sprint

badutahboy is keeping up the good workbadutahboy is keeping up the good workbadutahboy is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPMJB View Post
Except that throws a red flag at the fcc fairly easily...
How so?

My example is exactly why ESN cloning is illegal in the first place.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro