PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2009, 12:26 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint

tom6433 is keeping up the good worktom6433 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: How to configure HTC Touch Pro to receive company e-mail

i just looked up the directions on my employer's IT page and they require a RSA token?
Old 03-19-2009, 02:23 PM
Socrates Philosophy
Pocket PC: Evo3D

GhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuff

Let me add my 2 cents.

I have gotten exchange to work on my titan.

When I started asking around, everyone said it couldn't work because it wasn't a company blackberry. I told my buddy, "if it's a computer, there has to be a way!"

So as I started learning about exchange and certificates etc etc I got it to work.

For some reason my access was killed many times. basically the login would go bad. The good thing is that we have like 20 something domains haha! So I figured out that as long as I use a diff domain every couple months i'd be good.

Eventually, they did some server upgrades/changes/whatever and I just couldn't get it to work.

What it basically comes down to is this:

1) Your company doesn't allow it because of security restrictions
2) Your company doesn't allow it because it's not a business phone.

Either way, it could work if you talk to the right people or get lucky like me. But just like me, it could work for a while until you get caught! boo

Right now, i can not use exchange. But i can access it via web ova.

Make sure you donate to those who spend countless hours improving your PPC/android experience!
Old 03-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC T7380

Mutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to Mutiny32 Send a message via AIM to Mutiny32 Send a message via MSN to Mutiny32 Send a message via Skype™ to Mutiny32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom6433 View Post
i just looked up the directions on my employer's IT page and they require a RSA token?
A RSA Token is a small electronic device, usually in keychain form, that uses the RSA algorithm to generate a code every 60 seconds that you attach to the end of your password. I'm not sure how this would work with OMA, as it is required at every login because the idea is that even if someone knows your password, they need the RSA token that generatets the key to make it work. I won't go into the rest of how it works, let's just say it's great for Network Security guys (yeah, that's what I do), until you have a user who forgets or loses their token. Pic

So OMA may only require it once during setup or once every certain time period. I just never setup Exchange/OMA with RSA authentication.

Last edited by Mutiny32; 03-19-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:17 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC T7380

Mutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to Mutiny32 Send a message via AIM to Mutiny32 Send a message via MSN to Mutiny32 Send a message via Skype™ to Mutiny32

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoBSD View Post
Let me add my 2 cents.

I have gotten exchange to work on my titan.

When I started asking around, everyone said it couldn't work because it wasn't a company blackberry. I told my buddy, "if it's a computer, there has to be a way!"

So as I started learning about exchange and certificates etc etc I got it to work.

For some reason my access was killed many times. basically the login would go bad. The good thing is that we have like 20 something domains haha! So I figured out that as long as I use a diff domain every couple months i'd be good.

Eventually, they did some server upgrades/changes/whatever and I just couldn't get it to work.

What it basically comes down to is this:

1) Your company doesn't allow it because of security restrictions
2) Your company doesn't allow it because it's not a business phone.

Either way, it could work if you talk to the right people or get lucky like me. But just like me, it could work for a while until you get caught! boo

Right now, i can not use exchange. But i can access it via web ova.
Their exchange admin was noticing you and locking you out, that's a good trait to look for in an Exchange admin. And you're right. it is a huge security risk to use your employer's exchange server on a phone. They probably have it setup to enforce a group policy on your phone requiring encryption on the SD card and password protection after a period of time.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

slopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom6433 View Post
If you can access your Exchange email through a normal web browser you don't need an RSA token to access it.

The above post is correct about what it looks like, we have them too for accessing the company network. But not for exchange email...
Old 03-19-2009, 08:01 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment

tom6433 is keeping up the good worktom6433 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopokdave View Post
If you can access your Exchange email through a normal web browser you don't need an RSA token to access it.

The above post is correct about what it looks like, we have them too for accessing the company network. But not for exchange email...
that's just it, i can't get it from outside of the network. i must need a certificate on my PC or something because i don't even get the option to log in. it just tells me "access denied by security policy". my employer has everything locked down like nasa.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Verizon HTC Touch Pro

Paramarine is a n00b

Hi everyone, first post here.

The search function led me to a number of threads, but this one seems most applicable.

I work for a smaller company and I travel quite a bit on business. Email is POP3 (they don't have exchange).

Is it impossible to set up an outlook email account on my touch pro? The VZW people have offered a few workarounds, like auto forwarding and the like, but each method has its issues. Besides, just on principle, it makes sense to me that if a POP3 would work with MS outlook on windows XP, it should also work with MS outlook on windows mobile.

All help is most appreciated.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G

gyoung345 is becoming a great contributor

Ok, here is how you do it. I had the same problem. My company won't support personal devices and I couldn't get access to OWA through normal instructions I found on the net. So if you want to get your info to your phone use SEVEN (http://community.seven.com/main.php). You have to join their Beta program.

Basically it works as a connector to your desktop. It only works if your desktop/laptop is connected to your company network (and needs to be powered on). It will relay emails, contacts, calendar changes to your phone in real time. My phone gets the emails before my outlook client on my desktop does.

You install a client on your phone and the connector onto your PC. Voila it works.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Socrates Philosophy

GhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny32 View Post
Their exchange admin was noticing you and locking you out, that's a good trait to look for in an Exchange admin. And you're right. it is a huge security risk to use your employer's exchange server on a phone. They probably have it setup to enforce a group policy on your phone requiring encryption on the SD card and password protection after a period of time.
haha yep...

at first i used to run encryption, but then stopped.

Eventually after using so many logins... security was forced. I had to set a password and set encryption...

Then, i found a no password hack to eliminate it and i was happy as a clam.

But eventually, nothing would work boo!

It's really funny (to me) because when i tell the current batch of IT guys no one believes me ahahah. They said it was impossible because it wasn't a black berry (shows what they know right? And they run iphones).

Also all of my co-workers were like pfft who cares cause they had chitty phones. But now that they're getting more advanced touch-screen phones they're asking me how to do it hahaha.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Socrates Philosophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyoung345 View Post
So if you want to get your info to your phone use SEVEN (http://community.seven.com/main.php). You have to join their Beta program.
Can anyone else vouch for this company? Just wondering...

I can't use it because of the GLB act. But i know a person who could and is actually in need of something JUST like that!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro