PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 11:23 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

darnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Sprint TelNAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortonious View Post
I just flashed MightyRom 4.16 and still using SprintNav 2.1.7

As a previous posters have stated, I too can't use the "Drive To" feature, but "Map it" seems to work ok. Anyone found a cure for this?
Well I thought my issue in that regard was that I'm using Telenav instead of Sprint Navigation and even had the issue when using the stock Sprint ROM after switching to Telenav. I didn't have any issues with "Drive To" and "Map it" with Sprint Navigation using the stock Sprint ROM.

Not a big loss when weighed against the benefits of Telenav 5.1.16 and MightyROM.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:56 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

pastafarian is keeping up the good workpastafarian is keeping up the good workpastafarian is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnell View Post
Well I thought my issue in that regard was that I'm using Telenav instead of Sprint Navigation and even had the issue when using the stock Sprint ROM after switching to Telenav. I didn't have any issues with "Drive To" and "Map it" with Sprint Navigation using the stock Sprint ROM.

Not a big loss when weighed against the benefits of Telenav 5.1.16 and MightyROM.
After reading a few posts about it, I checked out the Telenav app and found little difference beside it having less "Sprint yellow" and slightly less functionality. I've seen posts claiming the Telenav app looks sharper, but I didn't notice any significant difference there either. What other "benefits" am I missing here?
Old 04-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

Tuffgong4 is keeping up the good workTuffgong4 is keeping up the good work

i didn't notice any significant change with the telenav app vs sprint...going to use the sprint app...also going to try amaze.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:25 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

darnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastafarian View Post
After reading a few posts about it, I checked out the Telenav app and found little difference beside it having less "Sprint yellow" and slightly less functionality. I've seen posts claiming the Telenav app looks sharper, but I didn't notice any significant difference there either. What other "benefits" am I missing here?
With Telenav 5.1.16 I see no GPS lag at all, with Sprint Navigation 2.1.10 the symbol for my car was always behind where I actually was, GPS lag.

The graphics in Telenav are much sharper, look at the edges of the lines in the graphics, much smoother curves, better sized for a VGA screen. Telenav also has bigger buttons. In Telenav, when you've selected a destination and that countdown button comes up, which can be pressed to just make it start right away, the button is much larger. In Sprint Navigation that button is too small and there are others like that in some other areas. Also, in Telenav, a white line appears in the road map when coming to turns. It just helps me a little, especially with certain highway exits that have several close turnoffs. The white line at those points just helps me more clearly see where to turn.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

pastafarian is keeping up the good workpastafarian is keeping up the good workpastafarian is keeping up the good work

Quote:
With Telenav 5.1.16 I see no GPS lag at all, with Sprint Navigation 2.1.10 the symbol for my car was always behind where I actually was, GPS lag.

The graphics in Telenav are much sharper, look at the edges of the lines in the graphics, much smoother curves, better sized for a VGA screen. Telenav also has bigger buttons. In Telenav, when you've selected a destination and that countdown button comes up, which can be pressed to just make it start right away, the button is much larger. In Sprint Navigation that button is too small and there are others like that in some other areas. Also, in Telenav, a white line appears in the road map when coming to turns. It just helps me a little, especially with certain highway exits that have several close turnoffs. The white line at those points just helps me more clearly see where to turn.
I never even noticed the white line, but with text to voice I don't look at the screen a whole lot. One thing, and this was explained quite a few years ago by a software engineer in the GPSpasions.com forums , what you call GPS lag is normal. There is a inherent time delay in the gps system and navigation software designers can either show the data real time or fudge it. When they choose to fudge it, they make the system display where it thinks you'll be before you get there. In essence, an educated guess. There is little chance that this small guess will come back to bite you, unless the driver makes a last minute deviation from course. He was of the school that it was better to show the real time display. I doubt that Telenav would be predictive in one revision and not the other at this point. Another reason could be that the telenav app refreshes faster then the Sprint, but I didn't notice that in my comparison. Then again, I'm not looking at the screen a whole lot either. I might just have to try out that Telenav app again.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:55 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

Yes, I know they all have lag, I should have used my terms better. But I like that for whatever reason, Telenav better displays my position in my opinion.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:01 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC-6700

Nortonious is a n00b

Quote:

Yep, sounds like my experience also. Guess we all have our preferences. The Drive to feature was something I used a lot...I travel quite a bit (airlines, cars, etc) and being able to quickly get my GPS working to one of my Outlook contacts was very desirable (be it Sprint or Telenav). I haven't found a very efficient work-around yet...

How bout it MightyMike? I suppose if I'm the only real whiner on this topic its not worth a new MightyROM fix/tweak.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:07 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortonious View Post
Yep, sounds like my experience also. Guess we all have our preferences. The Drive to feature was something I used a lot...I travel quite a bit (airlines, cars, etc) and being able to quickly get my GPS working to one of my Outlook contacts was very desirable (be it Sprint or Telenav). I haven't found a very efficient work-around yet...

How bout it MightyMike? I suppose if I'm the only real whiner on this topic its not worth a new MightyROM fix/tweak.
I may not use the feature a whole lot, but I'd like to have it too . I used it enough to notice when it was not working .

I use the GPS a good bit, but usually not for places in my contacts. I usually know how to get to those places .
Old 04-06-2009, 12:00 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro WinMo 6.1

gameday22 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnatn View Post
Use Amaze GPS instead. Does voice turn by turn and has a VGA version and is even free!

You don't find Amaze GPS to be a bit lethargic in response times? Each time I use it either it goes slow or encounters an error, anyone else used Amaze GPS?
Old 04-06-2009, 02:26 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Htc Touch PRo

loren646 is keeping up the good workloren646 is keeping up the good workloren646 is keeping up the good work

I use google maps but i wish it showed me route and turn by turn direction instead of listing.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro