PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 12:44 PM
ShadowDrake

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: charging all the time good or bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroburner65 View Post
i am using the stock charger in fact I've only had the phone a week. i made an inquiry to HTC and this is the reply.

We understand it is important to have all the information about your device. The Touch Pro is designed with a sensor that detects the internal temperature of the device. Some circumstances may provoke the issue, such as:
  • Using GPS while driving (which requires a higher signal strength, due to vehicle movement)
  • Connecting to a Video Teleconference call (data traffic)
  • Using the device as a modem for prolonged periods of time (data traffic)
  • Using the device while charging.
In the event that the device overheats, the temperature sensor will trigger an auto-protection feature which disallows charging until the device is within operational temperatures. This is normal, and not considered a problem or defect with the device. We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause you.
Uh oh, the good old "it's not a bug, it's a feature" from times past has returned hah... So it seems like HTC isn't going to do a whole lot to fix this issue. They must know there isn't much they can do. If someone designs a back case that is made to transfer heat, a lot of these problems would be solved.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:42 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

nitroburner65 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

From what I'm experiencing it seems to hold water. I drive a truck and use the phone as a modem allot. When I notice it stop charging I can hold it in front of the ac vent and let cool air pass over it for 30 seconds and it will resume charging. I agree that some improvement could be made in the design. It seems that they have tried to cram too much into the small package. keeping the screen turned off seems to help considerably. I assume that creates allot of heat itself.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:11 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO 2

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to BigDiesel07 Send a message via Skype™ to BigDiesel07

Lighting the screen draws juice.. More juice drawn, higher the temp will be.. So turning off the screen makes sense...
Old 02-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level

I would like to know how much difference max backlight makes vs minimum on a full charge [controlling all other variables]
Old 02-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO 2

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to BigDiesel07 Send a message via Skype™ to BigDiesel07

I could give it a try on my old phone.. I will charge it until the charging light is no longer pulsing, set it up to full max bright, the un-plug it.. The set a timer for how long till the battery dies.. The rinse, and repeat, but with minimum brightness...
Old 02-02-2009, 11:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

dr g is keeping up the good workdr g is keeping up the good workdr g is keeping up the good work

YMMV but after having terrible life from my battery (<12 hours on a full charge), I did a deep cycle (run down to shutoff) and the battery life came back up to what I had before when the phone was nearly new (1-2 days on a full charge). Something to try if your battery suddenly starts tanking.

Sprint actually told me this should be done once a week.

Last edited by dr g; 02-02-2009 at 11:53 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro