PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2008, 04:47 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

WildAce786 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
E-mail tweaks request

Hello all,

I've been using my E-mail option quite a bit on my Touch Pro lately, and I've noticed that the 5 minute update interval is a bit too long for my taste (despite the option to manually send/receive).

Therefore, I am curious as to whether or not it is possible to make a registry edit, install a program, or in any way add an option to make the update interval less than every 5 minutes (say for example, every 30 seconds)?

Also, whenever there is a new e-mail, there is a notification symbol which appears on the taskbar. Along with that, is it possible to create another registry edit / addition which would allow the phone to:
1) wake up upon new e-mail,
2) make a notification sound upon new e-mail (similar to new SMS), and
3) vibrate upon new e-mail?

FWIW, I'm using a Comcast E-mail account on the Pro.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Help me learn.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker

badutahboy is keeping up the good workbadutahboy is keeping up the good workbadutahboy is keeping up the good work
Re: E-mail tweaks request

I believe you can set up notifications just within your "sounds" function in the control panel...

As for regedits for checking.. no clue, but having your email connect and check every 30 seconds is going to killllllll your battery life.

As for waking up, your phone "should" be awake whenever you get a new email, since it's activating the data connection to check...

Last edited by badutahboy; 12-26-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:42 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Thanks for letting me know how to add a notification sound for new e-mails.

The battery life isn't an issue for me since the Pro would either be in charging mode, or it would be checking for new e-mails for only a few minutes or so.

So, does anybody have any idea on how to add a 30 second (or even 1 minute) check interval?
Old 12-27-2008, 06:58 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Moment < - Awesome!

ramiss is becoming a great contributor

This isn't the answer you are lookng for but I would suggest using IMAP IDLE or get an Exchange Account for true push email.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:08 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: TP2, TP, Touch, Rant, Rumor: on 9 lines
Carrier: Sprint Business plan

fat boy is a VIPfat boy is a VIPfat boy is a VIPfat boy is a VIPfat boy is a VIPfat boy is a VIPfat boy is a VIPfat boy is a VIPfat boy is a VIPfat boy is a VIPfat boy is a VIP

get push mail for your needs, I use mail2web.com and it works great. i usually get mail dropped in my box seconds after its been sent.

(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.- 'Energy' |Sept 20| 21916| Sense 2.5|Cookie 2.0-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)
EDC: htc TP2, Rohrbaugh R9 Stealth, Dereelight C2H, Pocket Bible NASB, Leatherman Squirt
Old 12-27-2008, 03:08 PM
Bringer of Good Things
Pocket PC: HTC TITAN
Carrier: AT&T

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

Hosted Exchange and/or something like mail2web is definitely the way to go for instant mail transfers but well...

1) Your battery life is going to suck if you go with push email and receive a LOT of emails.

2) And not to be rude, but... unless you're doing national security or are the executive assistant to God, you're really not so important that you shouldn't just use send/receive if you're expecting something or just realizing that a couple minutes delay isn't going to kill you. And in the moments where urgent communication is needed, there are more appropriate instant means like actually calling or texting or IM.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:21 PM
Timeless

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool

I've got to second the principle that more often than that will destroy battery life. I have four accounts, three of which check every 15 minutes, and I get dreadful life. Every five minutes would be unbearable. As well, every 30 seconds means it would roughly never stop checking, and your internet connection would go 24/7. It generally takes around 30 seconds or so to complete a mail sync, regardless of whether there's new mail.

Sounds like a push solution would suit you much, much better than constantly checking. You'd get messages only when there's actually mail, which would save you battery life and internet connectivity and keep your phone running more smoothly.

Without being rude, what is it that you're dealing with that you need 30-second intervals of automatically checking mail? I have my home email apps set to 1 minute and push for work, and I can't think of any circumstances where I'm expecting something that fast and can't simply hit the send/receive button to check myself.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:33 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: htc diamond
Carrier: vzw

creedin is keeping up the good workcreedin is keeping up the good workcreedin is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to creedin Send a message via MSN to creedin

do you really have so many emails that you cant wait?

the person on the other end mostly won't respond for 5 minutes, and even then youll get it within a couple more minutes on the next update. the phone has a as arrives options in windows live if you use hotmail or msn
Old 12-27-2008, 05:14 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

The reason I've been using my e-mails so frequently isn't because I'm so important (), but because I use my e-mail system to send messages which are received as SMS by the recepient. When they respond to the message, I receive it as an E-mail. This allows me to bypass the SMS fees associated with Sprint and still gets the job done.

The issue at hand was to allow me to know when a new "SMS" has arrived as soon as possible.

In any case, since it's has come to my attention that such a tweak would kill my battery life, I'm glad such a thing does NOT exist . I'll just stick with the manual Send/Receive feature.

Thanks to all who responded.

------------

Side question:
Since I'm new to WM, is it possible to use an IM program (AIM, MSN, etc...) to send messages that would be received as an SMS?

Last edited by WildAce786; 12-27-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:24 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Verizon

shark1987 is keeping up the good workshark1987 is keeping up the good work

Well if you used that, and kept it on all the time it would kill the battery just as fast. But I know you can send SMS through AIM but it says your using AIM to send it on every message. But other people can't send SMS to your AIM account unless you send them one first, and the number they reply to is not your phone number.

But I think you might have overlooked the push email option. You would just have to setup automatic forwarding all of your mail to your mail2web account and when that account receives anything your phone will download it automatically soon after it was received.

I've never used it because checking every 30 minutes is just fine for me but if you want them almost instantly as it sounds it's really the best option for you.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro