PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Blabber mouth
Pocket PC: MoPho
Carrier: Sprint.... for now

cornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: FM Radio Discussion

diamond hspl
Attached Files
File Type: zip diamhspl.zip (262.7 KB, 16 views) Click for barcode!
Old 02-11-2009, 01:28 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

gbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Yes there is an I2S for digital FM audio, but it is unused. Look at the Diamond or GSM Touch Pro, you will find references to I2C but not a single one to I2S.

I want to emphasize this as much as possible because it doesn't seem to be understood by anyone other than me and kb9nate:

The FM chip on the CDMA Touch Pro is working

What does this mean? It is 99.9% NOT an SPL disable.

The chip is working!

What is not working?

1. Picking up a signal (other than an incredibly strong one)
2. Audio output

It is possible that (2) could be an SPL disable. (1) is absolutely not possible to disable in SPL.

I am 99.9% sure this is a hardware disable. Though as I said before, I would truly love to be proven wrong.

I also said before that Version 1 may not suffer from the same hardware disconnect. So if you want to put your effort into something that actually has half a chance of working, try to get the radio working on a V1 device.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:00 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

FormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Did you check fms_api.dll? That's the only one of the above that isn't part of the standard Microsoft sys. Also, FWIW, coredll.dll is part of the MSXIPKernel, but that wouldn't be different between a working device and non-working device either.

There is a reasonable chance that the hardware initialization for the FM Radio doesn't exist in nk.exe in the OEMXIP for our devices. During early boot, nk.exe calls a user-supplied hardware initialization routine to set up registers, etc. specific to the hardware. Since nk.exe is hardware-specific, all of us are using the original nk.exe that shipped with our phones.

Might be worth doing a dependency comparison on the OEMXIP files between a working ROM and one of ours. Long shot, but perhaps there is something obvious we are overlooking. Here are the OEMXIP files:

ceddk.dll
ddi.dll (display driver)
flashdrv.dll (flash device block driver)
GxDMA.dll
htcfsfilter.dll
mmmap.dll
nk.exe (kernel)
relfsd (some strange sample file system filter - not sure why it's there)
smem.dll
wce_rex.dll
Old 02-21-2009, 03:58 PM
Regular 'Geeker

gbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

The Diamond kernel has already been tried by no2chem.

I'm not trying to be rude but really, the FM chip works. We've established that it works. Therefore it is not an SPL, XIP, driver, or other software issue. It is definitely a hardware disconnect on Version 2 devices.

We have working drivers and a working program. The only thing left to try is the program and drivers on a Version 1 device. If it still doesn't work... well, the fat lady has sung!
Old 02-21-2009, 09:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker

I don't think you're quite understanding. The FM chip is not disabled. It is fully functioning at the hardware level. The antenna and audio out are disconnected.

Using your analogy of the BIOS... imagine that the WiFi card in your laptop is enabled in the BIOS and with the right drivers it shows up in Windows. But you can't connect to any networks because the WiFi chip is not connected to an antenna. That's basically the situation we have here.

Looking at the diagram on TI's own site, it is entirely possible and I would even say easy to simply leave some of the connections unsoldered. The FM antenna and FM audio output each have their own connectors that would be very easy to leave off.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:40 AM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

i thought it was already established that the bluetooth chipset and the fm radio chipset were one and the same?
Old 02-23-2009, 01:37 AM
Big MVP Diesel
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO 2

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to BigDiesel07 Send a message via Skype™ to BigDiesel07

They have been there for a while

And yes dark.. The FM and Bluetooth are integrated together on the same chipset...
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:45 AM
Blabber mouth
Pocket PC: MoPho
Carrier: Sprint.... for now

cornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel07 View Post
They have been there for a while

And yes dark.. The FM and Bluetooth are integrated together on the same chipset...
BigD - the bluetooth seems to be on a different board in the diamond. is it on that little board above the d-pad? thats the only chip I could make out the TI symbol.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 with Stock Sprint ROM (Sense 2.5)

whunderboy is becoming a great contributor

Ok. As you all can see. This is my first post. I really don't contribute unless I have something to contribute.

As I see it they have disabled this three ways.

First, software. As this is not my forte, I will digress to the ones specialized in it.

Second, hardware. I have looked at the pictures of the Touch Pro in detail as well as my own here. I have also looked at the simple diagram available on TI.com. Both indicate a separate "analog audio output". On the board on my own Touch Pro, I did notice two sets of contact points that are not connected to each other. My thoughts are they have removed these in hopes of permanently disabling the radio feature.

Third, firmware. As per the simple diagram on the TI.com website there are two "codec interfaces". These are most likely held in an external ROM and pulled as needed. I believe these to have been removed from the ROM.

So, to get this "simple" feature working seems like it will be a daunting task. The hardware will be the easy part. I wish you guys with the software and firmware knowledge much luck and cunning. You will need it.

PS: I will gladly test your solutions on my own Touch Pro.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:00 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: who knows
Carrier: probably sprint

no2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdignazio View Post
Yes, very interesting! I just posted there in hopes of some kind of help on this issue, who knows, its worth a shot.

Please help us CDMA Touch Pro users out!!!! If there is any way to get the FM radio in the CDMA Touch Pro to work, I think the CDMA users would hail you king!!! So far all efforts to get the FM radio to work have failed.
Please take the time to check out this thread at PPCGEEKS geared to find a working solution to the CDMA Touch pro FM radio, any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CDMA FM Radio Thread at PPCgeeks: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=49654
I doubt they'll be able to help you. Anyway - I dabbled a little again into why its not working. You can see whatever research I've done here

http://www.nuerom.com/BlogEngine/pos...-Research.aspx
This post has been thanked 9 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro