PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008, 06:59 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

John Lessnau is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Another vote for gmail

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceracer24 View Post
The problem is that WinMo won't treat the labels as folders. Also, even though Gmail has IMAP, you won't be able to use push mailwith it. You will have to use a 3rd party app to use push mail. I sure hope Gmail changes that some day.
Hmmm, I really need some type of folder system. I get tons of auto emails that I need to filter to get to my core emails I need to read and act on. If snapper mail has a windows mobile version that will handle labels as folder perhaps I can live with that since I already and used to snapper mail.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: 16GB iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

DaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to DaPeeps Send a message via Yahoo to DaPeeps Send a message via Skype™ to DaPeeps
Re: Fastmail IMAP setup

I dont understand the huge need for pushmail...I just let winmo poll the server every 5 mins and im fine. doesnt kill my battery or anythng.

If I or someone else helps you out, don't just say thanks, click!
Old 11-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: 16GB iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

DaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to DaPeeps Send a message via Yahoo to DaPeeps Send a message via Skype™ to DaPeeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lessnau View Post
Hmmm, I really need some type of folder system. I get tons of auto emails that I need to filter to get to my core emails I need to read and act on. If snapper mail has a windows mobile version that will handle labels as folder perhaps I can live with that since I already and used to snapper mail.
Gmails jumk mail system is EXCELLENT. I get a CRAPLOAD of junk email...but never see ANY of it. it ALL goes to the junk folder. VERY VERY reliable. The only email account I have been able to keep longer than a year without ditching because of junkmail flooding. My inbox is only mail addressed to me, that I want to see. Only once did an email I was waiting for (a forum registration email) go to my junk box.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

eptd is just getting started

I use mail2web and have zero problems with it. I upgraded to the $5/mo service and now can use my gmail as my "from" address. All my emails come in instantly just like my blackberry did.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:35 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Diamond

heberman is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lessnau View Post
It kind of works like folders - at least it does for me. In gmail (on the pc) I set up a label titled "to do". On my phone, I move messages I need to deal with later into the "to do" folder. Then when I am on the pc later, I can click on the "to do" label and see all of the emails I put there.

I guess it depends on how you use it.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:40 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Diamond

heberman is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsimon1979 View Post
Gmails jumk mail system is EXCELLENT. I get a CRAPLOAD of junk email...but never see ANY of it. it ALL goes to the junk folder. VERY VERY reliable. The only email account I have been able to keep longer than a year without ditching because of junkmail flooding. My inbox is only mail addressed to me, that I want to see. Only once did an email I was waiting for (a forum registration email) go to my junk box.
Agreed. I just checked my gmail account. I currently have 1,695 emails which were automatically marked as spam and put in the spam folder. It apparently deletes spam older than 30 days. That means gmail has saved me from dealing with 57 emails a day, on average, which are spam.

Don't tell gmail, but I would be willing to pay $100 a year or more for gmail, google calendar, etc. But free is better.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:04 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

John Lessnau is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsimon1979 View Post
I dont understand the huge need for pushmail...I just let winmo poll the server every 5 mins and im fine. doesnt kill my battery or anythng.
Yeah, I don't need push mail. I just like to download messages when I am away from the office. Every 30 minutes is fine. But I do need the tons of confirmation and automated type messages I get to be filtered into the correct labels and then be able to see my human customer messages in the inbox.

When I first started with mobile messages on my old Treo, I'd need to scroll through hundreds of emails to find the important ones, then I discovered IMAP and filtering to folders via Fastmail like I do at home with outlook.

I wouldn't mind moving to Gmail if I can get the labels to act as folders with google IMAP. Fastmail filters are a pain to set up and the online interface is horrible +it costs money. Also, Gmail spam filtering is much better than fastmail's.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:20 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

John Lessnau is a n00b

Ok, I set up a Gmail account and have 3 of my main email accounts sending there via pop3 and set to leave on server.

Everything is fine, I set up a few labels for some of the messages I don't want to see in my inbox when on my phone.

Some messages came in and the all were added to the labels I created but they also still are in my main inbox. So I have about 20 auto-emails from paypal in my inbox. I don't need to see those on my phone unless I want to see what came in or research something.

So I logged in with my phone and all messages I received (including the 20 or so paypal emails and other various auto emails I labeled) are showing up on the main gmail inbox plus in the labels. So I have about 3 emails out of 40 or 50 I need to look at but they all are in mixed in my gmail in box with all the emails I wanted to filter out to labels.

I get 100s of emails a day and I need to have them filtered to various labels so I don't have to search through my gmail inbox on my tiny 3 inch screen TP screen. It seems the label thing just tags an email for sorting but doesn't really move it anywhere. Either Gmail won't work for me, or I am doing something wrong. Maybe Snapper mail would filter the labeled messages out of the inbox?

Anyone out there get lots of emails that uses Gmail? How do you filter out the auto emails you don't need to look at right away out of your inbox so you just see the main emails from friends or human customers? I double checked all my filters and every email has the label I created and and the default inbox label. Is there a way to remove the default inbox label when filtering to a created label. Sorry, I have always been a very light gmail user. I need help from a power user.

Last edited by John Lessnau; 11-07-2008 at 01:24 AM.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:08 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Pro

CareTake12 is keeping up the good workCareTake12 is keeping up the good work

What the difference between pop and imap?
Old 11-07-2008, 10:44 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

John Lessnau is a n00b

With Pop3, all of your emails are dumped to your email program. Which is fine with a robust desktop program that can filter those messages to folders and do spam checks, but mobile phone programs don't have this kind of power.

IMAP lets you look at your mail server, in my case, i am trying to get Gmail to work. Gmail does the heavy lifting, sorting and filtering spam and all the mobile phone needs to do is look at the gmail and show me the emails and where they are sorted to. If you read my post above, I am having trouble with IMAP and Google filtering

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro