PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 11:56 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro (USC)
Carrier: US Cellular

snipper_cr is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Proper Flash Dance Technique

So let's say I am on XYZs special ROM and I want to switch to ABCs awesome rom. What is the proper "flash dance" procedure for doing this?

Previously, I would hard reset the ROM then let it configure. Once I was back to the home screen, I would flash stock rom. Let it configure. Hard reset. Let it configure. Flash new rom, let it configure. Hard reset, let it configure.

Is that too redundant or is that the recommend set of steps?

Thanks.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:58 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

drdrewdown knows their stuffdrdrewdown knows their stuffdrdrewdown knows their stuffdrdrewdown knows their stuffdrdrewdown knows their stuffdrdrewdown knows their stuffdrdrewdown knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to drdrewdown Send a message via AIM to drdrewdown Send a message via MSN to drdrewdown Send a message via Yahoo to drdrewdown Send a message via Skype™ to drdrewdown
Re: Proper Flash Dance Technique

all i recommend is flashing to stock rom & then to the new one. works great for me & my hundreds of flashes
Old 04-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: At&t Fuze
Carrier: AT&T

Wil Badger is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWil Badger is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWil Badger is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWil Badger is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via ICQ to Wil Badger Send a message via AIM to Wil Badger Send a message via MSN to Wil Badger Send a message via Yahoo to Wil Badger

The whole story of having to flash to a stock rom is false. It just has to be something different. If you are staying with in the same build number it is wise to change the build version then flash the new version.

So say you have the newer 6.5.x (start on the bottom) and you are going to another 6.5.x build. This is when you would flash say the older 6.5 ( start at the top) before flashing to the newer 6.5.x build. It just makes sure that there is nothing left in the ram from the previous flash. If there was and you flashed basically the same build on top of it, it might not properly overwrite the old information.

I have never even bothered to do this and I can't say I have ever run into an issue.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)
Carrier: Sprint

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

I always just flash & hard reset... I never flashed back to a stock ROM or anything like that...

I've never ran into any issues. Perhaps if I didn't hard reset after every flash, it may cause an issue... but I thought you had to hard reset after a flash, so I've just been in the habit of that.

I thought the whole reason people were "flash-dancing" as you say, was because they had problems... I didn't think people were started with flash-dancing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil Badger
It just makes sure that there is nothing left in the ram from the previous flash.
Oh and FYI... RAM is volatile memory, once the device turns off it's wiped... perhaps you mean something else...?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro