PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2009, 05:30 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Sprint

Beaudog is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
<< TP2 for Dummies >>

Alright already, NooB (to PPCs) needs a wee bit of guidance.

I have read at several hundred posts/threads, (distinguished LURKER now) and at the very least you guys have way too much time on your hands. Meaning, your product(s) amaze me. I come from the high-end robotic industry and I don’t get amazed easily.

Now, I see ROMs from Mighty, SSK, Juicy, etc . . . ergo . . . where to begin pumping up my TP2 without bricking the thing?

Sprint TP2
WM6.1
Manila – don’t know how to identify (HELP!)
Firmware – 1.96.00WF
Software – 1.21.651.3
Hardware – 0004

I am looking for stability, pimping is not for me, sleek, hi-tech, looks with functionality.
I do have a need to tether.
Would like weather on home screen

If I flash a ROM, is that the software or firmware?
Will a hard reset always bring me back to OEM?
What is referred to as a radio?
How to lock the touch screen? (buttons get push when holstering)
Do I need to unlock, why or why not?
My GPS location is off by , . . oh, about 60 miles? Why, how to fix?
What is a “Sticky”?

More questions soon to come.

Don’t think I can contribute to the tech side of all this (willing to beta), but I LOVE to donate (I have a PayPal account).

Thanks, to all of you . . .
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:55 PM
Serving the Metro DC Area
Pocket PC: Thunderbolt,9530 (Blackberry)
Carrier: Verizon, Sprint

Adrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to Adrianh85 Send a message via Skype™ to Adrianh85
Re: << TP2 for Dummies >>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudog View Post
What is a “Sticky”?
1. flashing ur phone can be a sofware and firmware!! the rom(winmo os) is sofware but the radios(cdma,gsm,sim unlock,hspl) are more firmware based!

2.hard resetting will brang u back to the base of the last rom flashed!! after a hspl unlock and a custom rom is flashed, theonly way to go back to oem is to flash stock rom and use the hspl relocker! Must be done before taking back to store for repair!!

3. all winmo flavors have a embeded lock there are also 3party locks(ie S2L,throttlelock)4. u only need to unlock ur device if u want to flash custom roms! point blank! u do not have to unlock a phone to move to a differnet carrier(like sprint to verizon)

4.search for cab call quickgps!! and search for gps lock fix there is a guide so u can input server addresses to get faster and more accuate connections

5.means will never move . just important info that everyone needs to alway be able to find fast without searching! (eventhough i have made post like such but never have made to sticky status)

once u read this reply please dont forget to hit that thank you button all the way to the right!!

Last edited by Adrianh85; 11-19-2009 at 05:58 PM.
This post has been thanked 4 times.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:58 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: SGS III

fishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudog View Post
Now, I see ROMs from Mighty, SSK, Juicy, etc . . . ergo . . . where to begin pumping up my TP2 without bricking the thing?

Sprint TP2
WM6.1
Firmware – 1.96.00WF
Software – 1.21.651.3
Hardware – 0004

I am looking for stability, pimping is not for me, sleek, hi-tech, looks with functionality.
I do have a need to tether.
Would like weather on home screen

What is a “Sticky”?

More questions soon to come.

Don’t think I can contribute to the tech side of all this (willing to beta), but I LOVE to donate (I have a PayPal account).

Thanks, to all of you . . .
Welcome aboard! I'm still a noog myself and learning everyday. I can only offer a few recommendation, but here goes...

Rom: For stability, I'd lean towards MightyROM. It's fairly straight forward, not a lot of glitter and eye candy but is rock solid. You need to read the first few posts explaining carrier provisioning, but there is plenty of assistance from others on the thread. There is also JD's ROM which is basically built for Sprint also as he is on Sprint so out of the box (flash) you should be pretty good, and then tweak them as you want.

Yes, you do need to unlock your phone with the HSPL. Again, read the thread and ask questions, make sure you know what you're doing before you undertake it and ask questions until you feel uncomfortable with it.

Both of the ROM's I mentioned have tethering which Sprint will not know about, and both are 6.5 with Sense 2.1 which allows the weather on the home screen.

The radio is the phone portion of the TP2 but you won't change that at all just by flashing the ROM's above.

A Hard Reset will not return you to OEM, it will return you to stock ROM which you have flashed to, i.e. if you flashed to MightyROM and made changes to the registry, added applications, etc, a hard reset will take you back to stock MightyROM.

Can't help you with the lock, don't use it but I know there's info in the threads on it.

Don't know about the GPS issue other than try to go outside w/ a clear view of the sky and see if it helps.

A sticky is when a thread is placed at the top of the forum, for easy locating.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions!
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:15 PM
VGhhbmtzIGZvciBwbGF5aW5nI
Pocket PC: Omnia II
Carrier: Telus

CovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIP

Welcome aboard. Excellent post btw. The only couple of things I can see you asked about but perhaps weren't covered in the excellent posts above are:

You're running stock right now, so that's Manila (aka TF3D) 2.1. There are some ROMs with 2.5 as you've probably discovered, but do some research on the pros and cons of 2.5 e.g. no landscape, MMS issues, etc. I'm using 2.5 right now, and don't know if this works in 2.1, but if you go to Settings | About Phone | Software Information, your current manila version will be shown there.

If you're referring to the HardSPL (HSPL / unlocker) and not a screen lock, then by default all phones are locked from factory so that you cannot flash a custom ROM. You unlock them so that you can. As the first response above indicated though, if at any point in time you're going to take your phone in for service or send it back for any reason you should a) download your stock carrier ROM from here i.e. the one it came with when you first used it, b) flash back to that ROM, and c) apply the relocker (instructions found here). That way your carrier won't know you've been "tinkering"

Last edited by CovKid66; 11-19-2009 at 06:20 PM.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Threadstarter

Beaudog is a n00b

You guys are great, this helps alot, I'll look at your suggestions, cross fingers and go from there.

I'll see ya' around,

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2