PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2009, 05:12 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation ☢ ☢ ☢ ☢ ☢ [WARNING] - Tethering Users ☢ ☢ ☢ ☢ ☢

--UPDATE - 11/15 10:45PM CST--

A SOLUTION HAS BEEN FOUND!

MightyMike and Juggalo_x have been working all day on this issue, and it has paid off.

The latest OEM packages include a rogue intshr.exe/.lnk within their OEMDrivers that has tracking embedded. This results USB2PC popup to launch this application, rather than Microsoft's native Internet Sharing application. Although both applications look the same, the carrier version has tethering detection enabled.

Sprint users are not affected due to an 67 error code displayed while using the USB2PC popup. Any CDMA OEM drivers includes this. Telus users have this feature working by default, therefore will suffer the repercussions of tethering. All chefs are urged to notify their users of possible outcomes, if they do not resolve this issue accordingly.

MightyMike and Juggalo_x have taken down both of their ROMs, and we strongly urge all other chefs to do so IMMEDIATELY to fix this issue. Again, their hard work is GREATLY appreciated.
- Update: MightyROM is back online, issues fixed.

More information in a quote from MightyMike:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMike View Post
To elaborate a little more.

The main reason why sprint users are not being affected is the following:

Using the USB2PC popup, selecting internet sharing from that list, brings up the carrier (fake) internet sharing. For telus users and verizon users, this actually works, we can connect. For sprint users, you guys get an error 67 issue.

Therefore your forced to use the Internet Sharing within the programs menu, which is infact THE REAL ONE that is supposed to be used.

That's the main reason why Sprint users haven't not been dinged, and Myself and Juggalo have been hit hard for tethering charges. ($1,400 & $200)

I want this to be a black and white fix across the board for my ROM.

I hope all users get off the current ROM immediately when the new version is posted.

And Juggalo_x's personal explanation :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggalo_X View Post
To further elaborate on the Error 67, this is due to the Rogue Internet Sharing calling the "Tethering NAI" in the radio! Sprint does not have a tethering NAI, Thus they get the error. VZW and Telus users get the shaft as it initiated the tethering NAI dials it and proceeds to rape us.

Hotfix:
Code:
>>>HOT FIX FOUND HERE<<<

Users, make sure this hotfix overwrites the old \Windows\IntShr.exe

Old size: 34kb
New size: 24kb

Confirmation that the fix is working: (thanks MightyMike)

--UPDATE - 11/15 6:30PM CST--

UPDATE: We are receiving more reports from Telus users that tethering hacks have been detected on some ROM/radio combinations. Please check your bills if you have used tethering! If you have charges we need you to post them here so we can get a better idea of where the issue lies. IMMEDIATELY DISCONTINUE THE USE OF TETHERING IF YOU NOTICE CHARGES ON YOUR ACCOUNT!

--UPDATE - 11/15 12:30PM CST--

It has come to our attention that Telus users seem to have have a major issue with Tethering. MightyMike and Juggalo_x just noticed Telus has an overage charge on their bills for 1x data, indicating Telus just may have detected the tethering tweaks. We urge all Telus users to check their bills immediately at mytelusmobility.com > "E-care" > "View Data Usage".

As a Sprint user, I have checked my bill as well and NOT noticed any overages either, so Sprint users should be fine.

This is just a word of CAUTION - we do not wish to cause mass panic. We thought it would be better to give you a heads up than to wait until we knew there was an issue.

We are not sure what is causing the detection but we are investigating the issue and working on a solution.

Any users who notice the charge on their bills, PLEASE post in this thread so we can confirm whether this is widespread or not.

Here are images of some bills regarding the issue

Me (saumaun) - SPRINT [NO ADDITIONAL CHARGES]

MightyMike - TELUS [$1,335.20 ADDITIONAL CHARGE]

apaquette0069 - TELUS [$199 ADDITIONAL CHARGE]

wraith79 - TELUS [$154.83 ADDITIONAL CHARGE]

Last edited by [sammich]; 11-17-2009 at 01:02 PM. Reason: fixed update color, IR R color blind sau
This post has been thanked 17 times.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:14 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Telus Mobility

MightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation level
Re: [CAUTION] - Telus Tethering Users

Here was my kinder surprise when I went to check my data usage.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:39 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: PPC-6850
Carrier: Sprint

ls3mach is keeping up the good workls3mach is keeping up the good work
Re: [CAUTION] - Tethering Users

You did use a 1.5GB... $1300 seems a bit expensive though. Did you get a credit for that?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:40 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Telus Mobility

MightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls3mach View Post
You did use a 1.5GB... $1300 seems a bit expensive though. Did you get a credit for that?
1.5GB was for the total for the month.

the 1,300 charge was for 300mb of data usage.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
1.5GB was for the total for the month.

the 1,300 charge was for 300mb of data usage.
I wasn't judging you. I used 8+GB last month, that is expensive for 300MB.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:57 PM
HTC = TAIWAN! =)
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

twe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: ☢ ☢ ☢ ☢ ☢ [CAUTION] - Tethering Users ☢ ☢ ☢ ☢ ☢

sprint looks safe right now...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.JPG (14.3 KB, 532 views) Click for barcode!

Sprint Fair and Flex 500mins - unlimited; text, data, N&W@6pm (perks) - Sprint Pick 3, Unl Incoming Mins
ROMS: Vin. Pluto. (M2.5), Mighty (M2.5), Energy (M2.5)

Last edited by twe90kid; 11-15-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Telus HTC Hero
Carrier: Telus

freebie is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfreebie is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfreebie is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfreebie is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: [CAUTION] - Telus Tethering Users

Quote:
Here was my kinder surprise when I went to check my data usage.

Hey MM what plan are you on for data...I just looked on Telus's web site and to my amazement...

"Additional usage will be charged at $0.05/MB. Cannot combine with any other data plan. Tethering included. Additional data is charged by the MB or GB and is rounded up to the closest KB (1 GB =1,024 MB; 1 MB = 1,024 KB). Data usage is subject to a monthly overage limit of 10 GB."

I assume you are on the Diamond 15 Unlimited Data Plan but I dont know if this would apply to grandfathered plans or not but maybe you could get some of that cash back.

I also looked on my contract and now where does it state that use of Tethering is either excluded or included...who knows. Good Luck.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2

Likwid is keeping up the good workLikwid is keeping up the good work

lol, data has the largest markup, costs them fractions of a fraction of a penny last I checked.

That being said, tethering is dangerous and you should assume the liability.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likwid View Post
lol, data has the largest markup, costs them fractions of a fraction of a penny last I checked.

Dangerous... lolol
I feel like a spy deep in enemy territory.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Telus HTC Hero
Carrier: Telus

freebie is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfreebie is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfreebie is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfreebie is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likwid View Post

No kidding...I was recently in Cancun and got lost driving around town at night with my family. I turned on Google maps for like 10 seconds to get my location...to my surprise I was charged 14 bucks for 257 KB of data.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2